Corrosion from saltwater...

eZion

There was this guy who told me that his neighbours staying below him called in the HDB officers one day when their pipes corroded. When the officers did an investigation, they found that the problem came from the saltwater from this guy's saltwater tanks in his apartment and because he was having about 5 tanks at that time, he was given a fine and was required to remove most of his tanks due to weight over loading.

Is it true that doing water change frequently by a disposing of the saltwater will cause corrosions in the toliet pipes of our HDB flats. Does the saltwater cause corrosion to the furnitures or etc in your own house as well?

Am hoping to convert from freshwater to saltwater soon but this is one major area of concern for me.

:thanks:

• SRC Member

Where are you living? Most pipes these days are PVC, in which case you'd have no problems. But if you do have the old metal pipes, then it may potentially be a problem. It is a small risk only, especially since you do use water even after disposing tank water... the fresh water would drain whatever salt water is in the pipe. Unless you're running a marine LFS at home lar.

As for furniture... its best that electrical products be placed away from the tank. While having a tank does not necessarily cause corrosion unless salt spray from fans blowing on the water splashes on your electricals. My wooden cabinets (built in) have no problems even after 1 year.

As for parquet, try to prevent dripping. In events of dripping, just wipe immediately! IMO, no major concerns.

There was this guy who told me that his neighbours staying below him called in the HDB officers one day when their pipes corroded. When the officers did an investigation, they found that the problem came from the saltwater from this guy's saltwater tanks in his apartment and because he was having about 5 tanks at that time, he was given a fine and was required to remove most of his tanks due to weight over loading.

Is it true that doing water change frequently by a disposing of the saltwater will cause corrosions in the toliet pipes of our HDB flats. Does the saltwater cause corrosion to the furnitures or etc in your own house as well?

Am hoping to convert from freshwater to saltwater soon but this is one major area of concern for me.

eprouve is correct. Most HDB flat within this 15 years have PVC sewage pipes, not cast iron.

As for corrosion, ur blowing fans and metal parts for your tank will be corroded.

eprouve is correct. Most HDB flat within this 15 years have PVC sewage pipes, not cast iron.

As for corrosion, ur blowing fans and metal parts for your tank will be corroded.

As for overloading, it depend on where u placed your tank. For example, never place on a cantilever balcony

;)

i heard that even stainless steel will corrode in years to come isit true?

Most metal stand out there, are having a coating, not stainless steel. Real stainless steel will be pretty heavy. By the way, even the highest grade of stainless steel will still become rusty eventually but it take quite a number of years.

• SRC Member

I've known of people who actually designed a concrete stand done up by interior designer together with the rest of the renovations. :)

Well, I think Stainless steel is quite safe. With good husbandry habits it will not have problems. Most reefers in the forum have tanks 4 ft, 5 ft on a stainless steel tank stand. Never heard of a midnight collapse.

As a general rule to keep in mind is that saltwater whereever it lands (outside the tank) should be wiped up quickly. Be it on the outside of your tank wall before it rolls down to your stand, walls, floors etc.

The design of your tank stand can also help to distribute the loading of your tank. For example, the stand should not be standing on four legs, rather, on a four sided frame.