Open bottom tank

peacemaker

• SRC Member

I don't think its a fake, but I still can't figure out how it is possible. There are many other videos of his freshwater tanks with similar setup. The amazing thing is the fishes can swim in and out of the "tower" with ease, not forgetting an air pump to generate all those bubbles. I do understand the "glass in a sink filled with water" concept, but to make it work at such a magnitude is awesome.

Looks almost like the same concept as the one at underwater world on Sentosa. Driven on -ve pressure so that the water will not flow out, but still give access to people putting their hands into the tank from the front of the glass to feed the fishes. :eyebrow:

http://www.underwaterworld.com.sg/news.htm

http://www.underwaterworld.com.sg/pdf/medi...ce%20promo_.pdf

• SRC Member

I have done some research on this. It is called the Romaurie-Effect. Basically, you will have two tank, one large flat horizontal, then the tall vertical one, you can just put it upside down. Then at the base or "top" of the vertical tank must have a non-return valve. You then insert a vaccuum pump to this valve. then turn on the vaccuum, the vaccuum will suck air out, and as long as the horizontal tank is filled with water, the water column will rise up the vaccuum to the vertical tank. Once filled, then off vaccuum, lock the non-return valve, then the water will stay inside the vertical tank with spillage. Fishes can swim in and out with any problem. Any advantages to marine tank, I am not so sure.

• SRC Member
I also thought about what if tank loses vacuum. you will really lao sai if it does.

LOL... one-way ticket to a messed up floor. :upsidedown:

I feel that some things are just meant to be admired... unless I'm feeling very adventurous to give it a try.