Allow me to Intro

Dinosaur

• SRC Member

:( Really envy you guys...can own this fish! I dont it is suitable for a 2 ft tank.... <_<

Besides my 2ft tanks is only 3 month old.....sign!! :erm: sian ah! only s couple of stupid, dull damsel.....

IS it true that PBT are difficult to keep in a Reef tank ?

Well many people don't keep tangs like powder blue and achilles in reet tank due to their susceptibility to disease such as ich and velvet... these diseases are normally treated with copper and other chemicals that would kill all invertebrates...so the fish must be removed for treatment...but in a reef tank it is hard to catch the fish...

• SRC Member

acanthurus u are badly mistaken. i dont think anyone would put copper into any marine tank. And everyone i know who has a PBT or an achilles is keeping them in reefs. there are many somewhat more efficient alternatives to curing ich than copper . 1 single drop of copper is all thats needed . even if u can remove the fish. dun think anyone will take that risk

I think velvet has no cure..

Hmm...I must be out of touch after so long out of the hobby...that was the preferred treatment back in the 1990s and I used it myself...but of course never in a reef tank...that was the reason during that time no one I knew never had these tangs in a reef setup...

But I saw fish in reef tanks (not Acanthurus tangs,though,more of the Zebrasoma types) recover mysteriously from a bad attack of velvet without any treatment...that was very strange

Eh...sorry...I can't remember for sure now if the treatment I used to use before was copper... but it was some bluish liquid which you added which stained the water blue... that was for parasitic diseases, and it killed all invertebrates... I don't know if it was copper because we used to just buy it in small bottles from the fish shop and the name and instructions were all in Chinese... but what I heard during that time matched closely with the copper treatment they used to use..

• SRC Member
Eh...sorry...I can't remember for sure now if the treatment I used to use before was copper... but it was some bluish liquid which you added which stained the water blue... that was for parasitic diseases, and it killed all invertebrates... I don't know if it was copper because we used to just buy it in small bottles from the fish shop and the name and instructions were all in Chinese... but what I heard during that time matched closely with the copper treatment they used to use..

I think the blue solution is copper sulphate