Firestarter's 2ft Standard tank

Firestarter

• SRC Member

Reason? My overflow 'comb' came apart when I was doing some adjustments to the tank just now. Have to apply a very thick coat of silicon, previously it was held with a thin coat. Will keep in mind to fix the overflow tomorrow.

post-13947-1232140815.jpg

Sometimes the good guys gotta do bad things to make the bad guys pay. - Harvey Specter

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

Came back home from work yesterday to find that one of my chromis was missing.

My first fish death! :cry2:

Saw the body of the fish stuck at the Seio. Duno whether it jumped into my IOS or got sucked in from the main tank.

Had already replaced the IOS though.

Terrible day. Sigh. :(

post-13947-1232334288.jpg

Sometimes the good guys gotta do bad things to make the bad guys pay. - Harvey Specter

• SRC Member

Much as happened since the last time I updated.

When on a shopping spree at Pasir Ris farm on Monday to stock up my tank for CNY. Can say that I kinda went overboard.

List of LS that I bought:

1x Bicolour Angel

1x Chromis (to replace the poor one that got sucked by the seio)

1x 6 line wrasse

1x Turbo snail

4x Mushroom coral

post-13947-1232558195.jpg

• SRC Member

Here's a pic of my tank after the LS has been introduced into the tank. Did a bit of scaping because of the 4 rocks of mushroom.

Note the diatoms on the LR. I must say I have a super hardworking turbo.

post-13947-1232558352.jpg

• SRC Member

Some bad news. My Bi colour angel didn't make it past 3 days. First night it was hiding among the LR, pecking on the LR and wasn't feeding on the frozen mysis. Last night I came back exhausted from work, to find the Bi colour with Ich. One of my chromis got sucked into the seio, but luckily I managed to free in time before it died. Had already decided to do a water change in the evening when I come back from school.

But this morning, found my Bi colour angel dead. :(

What's more, the same chromis, weak but recovering from the mishap, got sucked into the seio again despite me using something to block the 1cm gap. :cry:

Another thing was that my purple dottyback was preying on the 6 line wrasse. So I made a fish trap and managed to catch the bully. Its now sent to DB!

post-13947-1232558807.jpg

• SRC Member

Did a 15% water change today. Here's a pic of the tank taken a few minutes ago. My LR are now free from diatoms, thanks to my turbo.

Think I stocked up too fast liao, but no choice, I'm not free from now until CNY to visit the farms. Will currently stop stocking for now.

post-13947-1232558876.jpg

• SRC Member
correct me if i m wrong e mushy from iwarna rite bro ?

can take a closer pic?

:rolleyes:

My camera is really bad. Can't focus properly if go too near. I've already tried sharpening the image with the image software.

But still quite blur.

post-13947-1232592900.jpg

• SRC Member

I've been almost losing all my fishes lately. Came home from school this afternoon to find 1 of my chromis dead and stuck at the overflow.

Just came back from supper, and found my 6 line stuck at the same place as the chromis. I observed that it was breathing heavily before I left.

Feeling really puzzled, I scooped out the fish and observed for any signs of discolouration, abrasions etc. To my immense surprise, this thing came crawling out of the fish's gill. I immediately identified it as an isopod. :angry: :angry: :angry:

That maybe explains why my fishes are dying lately. I wonder how many more isopods are in the tank. :(

Sad start for my tank. Hai.

post-13947-1232648217.jpg

• SRC Supporter

Hi bro, I notice dotty back is guilty of chasing 6 line wrasse. It happened to me too, but after 2-3 days of chasing, my dotty slowly leave my 6-line alone. Of cos, my 6-line can't swim near the dotty's territory.

Have you got yourself a cleaner shrimp? I introduce one immediately i got my LS. Mayb you want to get one as well. It's always cleaning my BT, Algea Blenny and other's.

: )

• SRC Member

It could have been gill flukes rather than parasitic isopods. Heavy breathing is one of the symptoms of having flukes in the gills and this problem is common with wild caught fish. Try treating with prazipro or a freshwater dip.

• SRC Member
It could have been gill flukes rather than parasitic isopods. Heavy breathing is one of the symptoms of having flukes in the gills and this problem is common with wild caught fish. Try treating with prazipro or a freshwater dip.

bro

able to get prapzipro locally?

Member of

n34281892381_7606.jpg

• SRC Member

Thanks all for the replies. Sorry I can't reply back to everyone of you, been a very tiring day for me today. Did a search on gill flukes, I don't that that was what I saw on my 6 line yesterday. I'm very sure that it was an isopod. Just hope that my tank doesn't have any more of them.

No water parameters, sadly. Only have an Ammonia test kit which reads NIL when I test the water. My skimmer is skimming stuff on and off, only after I feed, so I assume that there's nothing much to skim out at all.

• SRC Member

Thanks for the info. I figured out that the 'hook' can be readjusted after I posted that pic, but don't see any reason to move it since its not blocking anything. As for the tube in the middle, how do you remove it?

Thanks for the info. I figured out that the 'hook' can be readjusted after I posted that pic, but don't see any reason to move it since its not blocking anything. As for the tube in the middle, how do you remove it?

tube in the centre is also removal ...just pull it up with some force .. i used a piler to save strength...to avoid cracking the tip when using piler, dont exert to much force when cramping the tip.

• SRC Member
tube in the centre is also removal ...just pull it up with some force .. i used a piler to save strength...to avoid cracking the tip when using piler, dont exert to much force when cramping the tip.

Any beneficial reason to remove the center tube? Does it affect the performance of the skimmer? Thanks.

• SRC Member

Haven been really really busy the past week with work, school and assignments. Slept only 4 hrs for the past 2 days. Really exhausted.

Just a little update that I took of my tank few mins ago.

post-13947-1233334467.jpg

• SRC Member

Few days ago, the weather started to get warm again and observed that my tank hovered around 29'C. So to be safe I temporary installed my profantec fan. Its really powerful, too powerful in fact. It can cool my fan down till 25.4'C but haven't tried going lower as I was afraid it would be too chilly. 2 bad things about this fan that its super noisy. Like someone using a hair dryer. I don't know if its supposed to sound like this but it was like that when I bought it from someone.

I'm thinking of DIY a pair of computer fans if I got the time.

post-13947-1233334695.jpg

• SRC Member
Few days ago, the weather started to get warm again and observed that my tank hovered around 29'C. So to be safe I temporary installed my profantec fan. Its really powerful, too powerful in fact. It can cool my fan down till 25.4'C but haven't tried going lower as I was afraid it would be too chilly. 2 bad things about this fan that its super noisy. Like someone using a hair dryer. I don't know if its supposed to sound like this but it was like that when I bought it from someone.

I'm thinking of DIY a pair of computer fans if I got the time.

Bro, mine is very silent. You might wanna give it a thorough check to see if anything is loose that is causing the noise? Put a bit of lubricant (WD40 works well), but be careful not to let it drip into the tank. Computer fans won't be of much help, been there, done that, bought the T-shirt...

post-13914-1233381830.jpg