Firestarter's 2ft Standard tank

Firestarter

• SRC Member
Bro... why are the rocks grey in colour...?

Hey peacemaker, which rock are you referring to that is grey? Looks normal to me. Maybe its because I just anyhow dump in the LR, some pieces are showing the bottom, thats why it seems grey? Just came back from work and supper with my friends. Will maybe scape my tank now after a shower. Can't wait to scape even though its 3.30am now and I'd been working since 10am. Really tired!!

Sometimes the good guys gotta do bad things to make the bad guys pay. - Harvey Specter

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

Woke up just now and spent less than 10 mins to achieve this scape. Can't help but think that the LR on the right is a dinosaur walking. :)

What do you guys think? Appreciate any good or bad comments.

post-13947-1229760628.jpg

Sometimes the good guys gotta do bad things to make the bad guys pay. - Harvey Specter

• SRC Member

BAD NEWS AGAIN!!!

My mum called me at about 11pm after my work. Told me that there's water on my room's floor. My heart sank. I instructed her to off the master switch. Came back from after my friend's BBQ and inspected the tank. Found out that the same area is still leaking!!! :angry: :angry: :angry:

• SRC Member

I think you would have to silicone the entire perimeter on top instead of just that one spot as you may not have covered the leak. I ever had a similar 2ft tank leak on me from the base, i added a layer of silicone around the entire perimeter of the base and it never leaked again.

• SRC Member
I think you would have to silicone the entire perimeter on top instead of just that one spot as you may not have covered the leak. I ever had a similar 2ft tank leak on me from the base, i added a layer of silicone around the entire perimeter of the base and it never leaked again.

Yes I've did just that, only to the side that is leaking. Do I have to silicone the perimeter on all 4 sides?

• SRC Member

Done at 5am this morning. Its been 12 hours already and I can't wait to see the tank in operation again. Do you think 12 hrs is enough?

I told myself that if the tank leaks again this time, I'll have to scrap the whole tank setup. Been spending too much time on this but only getting negative results.

post-13947-1229854997.jpg

• SRC Member

If you want to maximize your chances of success, I would suggest siliconing all 4 sides(or at least 3 sides as you have equipment mounted on 1 of the sides and maybe troublesome to dismantle and silicone the edge) rather than just 1 side as it can be a hairline leak and very hard to determine accurately the source of the leakage.

Applying silicone from the outside is not going to be as effective as siliconing from the inside as the leakage is from inside the tank. Water may still find its way out from another hairline crack elsewhere.

• SRC Member
If you want to maximize your chances of success, I would suggest siliconing all 4 sides(or at least 3 sides as you have equipment mounted on 1 of the sides and maybe troublesome to dismantle and silicone the edge) rather than just 1 side as it can be a hairline leak and very hard to determine accurately the source of the leakage.

Applying silicone from the outside is not going to be as effective as siliconing from the inside as the leakage is from inside the tank. Water may still find its way out from another hairline crack elsewhere.

Actually I would agree with you to silicon all 4 sides. But upon observation, the 4 corners of the tank are protruding outwards, so the leak will not spread to the other sides, if you get what I mean. I'll test the tank again later in the afternoon. Hope the problem will be solved once and for all.

• SRC Member

I think i get what you mean but there is still a likelihood water can find its way out from another opening if you just silicone 1 side from the outside. Water can seep out from the inside and flow along the siliconed edge and leak outside.

Done at 5am this morning. Its been 12 hours already and I can't wait to see the tank in operation again. Do you think 12 hrs is enough?

I told myself that if the tank leaks again this time, I'll have to scrap the whole tank setup. Been spending too much time on this but only getting negative results.

it is kinda exciting to see your tank thread with all 100% DIY skill. dun give up. In marine reefkeeping, there are more problem than what u can expect. however the joy can be even greater when u finally sit down and enjoy your piece of sea at home. press on !=)

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member
it is kinda exciting to see your tank thread with all 100% DIY skill. dun give up. In marine reefkeeping, there are more problem than what u can expect. however the joy can be even greater when u finally sit down and enjoy your piece of sea at home. press on !=)

Its really a challenge coming up to this stage, but I can't move on because of this setback. So far the leak has been stopped after a couple hours of test runs and I'm still keeping my fingers crossed. :pinch:

• SRC Member

Well the leak has minimised, but its still there. There are only 2 options left, and both of the requires emptying the tank, which is something that I don't want to do. Because if I were to empty it, chances are I'll just tear down the setup.

I'll just leave this setup on hold first at the moment.

• SRC Member

Looking for a new 2ft standard tank, similar to mine. I've thought of getting a new tank and then transferring everything into it. But most of the LFS don't have this kind of tank for sale anymore. Anyone knows where to get it? Preferably in the East as I don't have transport. :cry2:

Looking for a new 2ft standard tank, similar to mine. I've thought of getting a new tank and then transferring everything into it. But most of the LFS don't have this kind of tank for sale anymore. Anyone knows where to get it? Preferably in the East as I don't have transport. :cry2:

Serangoon north Rainbow have it at $25.