24G nanocube skimmer options

kthc

• SRC Member

I’ve bought 2 Resun SK-05 skimmers and both spoil within 2 months… either skimming my tank really that tough or something wrong with the skimmer…

Other options I’ve seen are the Tunze 9002 or the ones using the wooden diffuser thing (can’t recall the correct name, in office, difficult to do a search…)

Skimmer is currently in compartment 1, with liverocks in compartment 2.

Any suggestions? Budget is an important consideration though.

Thanks.

i think someone ever incoporate a tunze 9002 into a nanocube. get a reliable skimmer ... it goes a long way. either in the nano forum or DIY forum

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member
I’ve bought 2 Resun SK-05 skimmers and both spoil within 2 months… either skimming my tank really that tough or something wrong with the skimmer…

Other options I’ve seen are the Tunze 9002 or the ones using the wooden diffuser thing (can’t recall the correct name, in office, difficult to do a search…)

Skimmer is currently in compartment 1, with liverocks in compartment 2.

Any suggestions? Budget is an important consideration though.

Thanks.

Or can get a boyu one if u dun really appreciate china brand (sorry) but u could get this package

1ft cube with IOS [the low tech tank]

1. JBJ C-breeze to keep temp hovering around 27-28'C

2. LED clip on - 120 bulbs

-skimmer-less-

My 3 humble equipments that keeps my tank running... [DRIED OUT]

1. The RSM itself of course 2.My NEW Deltec MCE-300 Skimmer 3. My trusty Arctica Chiller

Tank parameters:

Temperature maintained at 25.3'C to 24.7'C

No3: 10ppm(b4 the use of the deltec skimmer)

No3: 5ppm (after use of the skimmer)

Others? too lazy to measure...LOL

Camera- EOS 50D

This is what i do for my 24 gal nano cube. Basically cut out the back portion and modified the Aquac remora's intake pipe to be shorter to fit the skimmer. It is a hang on back. Both the intake and output goes into the second chamber. I have a piece of wool(replaced every few days) to break and prevent the micro bubbles from getting into main tank through 3rd compartment return.

You can try Red Sea Prism Skimmer too.Both are the most decent HOB skimmers for tank this small. There are quite a few people selling the mentioned skimmers at lesser than $100 when they upgrade their tanks. Look out for those deals.

Hope i have helped. :P

post-259-1228880093.jpg

post-259-1228880134.jpg

post-259-1228880410.jpg

• SRC Member

Thanks all, going to try getting a dymax skimmer tonight, was busy over the weekend. Any other options though, knowing my luck, it’ll spoil soon enough;)

Would love to get a 9002 (someone’s selling at a good price) but with my limited DIY skills, I’ll probably break the tank before finding a way to squeeze the cup into the hood. Prefer to leave the hood as it is, like the compact and neat look.

Interestingly, you’ll see the diatom build up very fast (feeding and lighting regime remains the same) once the skimmer is down.

I'm using the Sapphire skimmer for 24NC. Skims pretty well and fully concealed inside the hood. Probably the best you can get in the market now for a 24NC. However, the bad thing is the only place you can order from is the USA. Shipping usually takes less than 2 weeks though.

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member
I'm using the Sapphire skimmer for 24NC. Skims pretty well and fully concealed inside the hood. Probably the best you can get in the market now for a 24NC. However, the bad thing is the only place you can order from is the USA. Shipping usually takes less than 2 weeks though.

+1 on the Sapphire skimmer

12g Nanocube 70w MH + 36w actinics in the stock hood! 2 years old

24g Nanocube 70w MH + 60w actinics in the stock hood! NEW!

Hi,

I also have a nc24.

Currently, I change 15% water weekly or biweekly.

With the Sapphire skimmer, how often do you change water?

What is the impact before and after using the skimmer?

I am also considering buying this skimmer. However, it is not cheap.

I want to buy its effect before I buy it

Whitefish

WhiteFish

Equipment: JBJ 24g Nano Cube with 9 x 3W White & 9 X 3W Royal Blue LED Lighting + Tunze Nanostream 6025+ 1 Fan

Fishs : 1x Cardinalfish, 2 x false Percula Clownfish

Inverts : 1x Sea Serpent starfish, 1x blue legged hermit crab, 1 x orange starfish

Corals : 2 x Lobophyllia, brown rics, red & green mushrooms, Yuma, Torch, Octo, favites, , clove, 1 x Aveopora,

Tank Thread : [url=http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=83257]

i might be ordering one this week. i'll let you guys know how it is.

I bought a StevieT Tunze cup so I can squeeze the Tunze 9002 into a JBJ 28G Nano, was recommended

by the N. American boards.

His site is here, can have a peek http://mediabaskets.com/

• 4 weeks later...
Hi,

I also have a nc24.

Currently, I change 15% water weekly or biweekly.

With the Sapphire skimmer, how often do you change water?

What is the impact before and after using the skimmer?

I am also considering buying this skimmer. However, it is not cheap.

I want to buy its effect before I buy it

Whitefish

I have a very heavily loaded tank. lots of fish and corals, including normal suns, black suns and super suns. So you can imagine the amount of food i dump in the tank everyday. The skimmer works pretty well, giving me a cup of scum every 3 days. I'm still changing water every week, but that's not because I need to, but I want to. If you are stocking your cube normally, I think you can go a month or more without water changes. I have tried mine going without WC for about 3 weeks. Everything still looks fine but I try not to take the risk nowadays. Especially after I went overzealous feeding the suns and ensuring the mandarin gets the frozen brine shrimps. Try it, you will like it, i sure did. Just a gentle reminder that the voltage for the pump is for 110V supply, so make sure you have a voltage converter before plugging it in.

I have a very heavily loaded tank. lots of fish and corals, including normal suns, black suns and super suns. So you can imagine the amount of food i dump in the tank everyday. The skimmer works pretty well, giving me a cup of scum every 3 days. I'm still changing water every week, but that's not because I need to, but I want to. If you are stocking your cube normally, I think you can go a month or more without water changes. I have tried mine going without WC for about 3 weeks. Everything still looks fine but I try not to take the risk nowadays. Especially after I went overzealous feeding the suns and ensuring the mandarin gets the frozen brine shrimps. Try it, you will like it, i sure did. Just a gentle reminder that the voltage for the pump is for 110V supply, so make sure you have a voltage converter before plugging it in.

oqs,

Thanks for sharing your experience.

I am now in US for a business trip. Really tempted to buy one :)

WhiteFish

WhiteFish

Equipment: JBJ 24g Nano Cube with 9 x 3W White & 9 X 3W Royal Blue LED Lighting + Tunze Nanostream 6025+ 1 Fan

Fishs : 1x Cardinalfish, 2 x false Percula Clownfish

Inverts : 1x Sea Serpent starfish, 1x blue legged hermit crab, 1 x orange starfish

Corals : 2 x Lobophyllia, brown rics, red & green mushrooms, Yuma, Torch, Octo, favites, , clove, 1 x Aveopora,

Tank Thread : [url=http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=83257]

• 9 months later...
  • SRC Member

Am thinking of using a Weipro 2011 on a 24G nano. Sound too cheapo? I used to use a larger Weipro from the same series on a 3foot reef tank some years ago and found it quite OK. Been using a Becket on my 5foot that I have just decomm'd.

Will be a FOWLR tank - maybe an LPS or two later. Planning on having a sump to increase water volume - skimmer will be in the sump, out of the way.

Sooo, wanting a cheap but reasonable solution for my 24gal.

Comments?

Real reefs don't have glass bottoms....(...think about it)

• SRC Member
Am thinking of using a Weipro 2011 on a 24G nano. Sound too cheapo? I used to use a larger Weipro from the same series on a 3foot reef tank some years ago and found it quite OK. Been using a Becket on my 5foot that I have just decomm'd.

Will be a FOWLR tank - maybe an LPS or two later. Planning on having a sump to increase water volume - skimmer will be in the sump, out of the way.

Sooo, wanting a cheap but reasonable solution for my 24gal.

Comments?

can try reef octopus, MCE 500 / 600 models, tunze...aquanaut...bubble magus.

l7304smr.jpg