Roidan's Reef (I)

roidan

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

roidan..keep an eye on the pink tip heliofungia...it has a tendency to move around when it feels like it..stinging stuff in its path...happened to me once.. :( hope it does'nt happen to you....

surround it with small rocks to restrict it from drifting... :D

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

roidan..keep an eye on the pink tip heliofungia...it has a tendency to move around when it feels like it..stinging stuff in its path...happened to me once.. :( hope it does'nt happen to you....

surround it with small rocks to restrict it from drifting... :D

bro..u mean the plate coral ah....

yeah...i did notice it moving abit ..but mainly stay in the place i put it...

more like it was expanding due to bloating and thus encroaching on the other places....did not really move around much....

anyway,will take note... thanks :):thanks:

your tank so new can keep arco ar?

i feel its not a matter of new or not...it's a matter of water quality...you can have an old tank of a few years but if the parameters sux....anything also cannot keep...

i am not saying my parameters are the best...but i believe the general parameters are quite steady already..... :)

you'll notice that close loops are a much cheaper alternative than tunzes. if done properly, eliminates the need of a Tunze in the first place. (=

what else can move 12 000 litres of water at zero head loss and consume only 22W of electricity? none others in the market i believe...

6060 consumes only 11W each....2 6060s will consume 22W....one of mine is a TS7...so add the driver box and single controller the consumption will be slightly higher...

but 545.45 litres per hour per watt for 2 6060s for example...i ask you what can beat that? hehee

even eheim 1262 at zero head loss is only 3500l/hr consuming 80W of electricity...43.75litres per hour per watt...

it's easier to see how much difference there is...

and if you place the closed loop eheims or other pumps at the sump..there is a head loss and you get even less than 3500l/hr at 80W...

so i think its easy to see in the long term...you save electricity bills by alot.....very significant ..and yet generate such high volume...wide conical flow ;)

Tunze moves alot of water and eliminates all piping which may leak.  They also consume almost no power and doesnt transmit heat significantly, all these will pay itself overtime

barra is absolutely right....

for small tanks..closed loop returns may do the job just enough to eliminate dead spots by placing return piping strategically...by joints...by scwds...

but big tanks...only wide flow gadgets like tunze streams or seaswirls can eliminate the dead spots more thoroughly....unless you have closed loops with more than 20 or 30 outlets to target many areas of the big tank...by then..you will think why just not spend abit more to get the wide flow gadgets...less watts consumed...less piping to risk leaking possibilites.... :)

T95....actually i did not intend to get sps one..coz too cheem for me....but the ahpek say if i want...give me good price...so i thought of trying since the price is good...

was thinking if turn brown then start giving to those sps dudes here..but still purple and in fact gotten more purple since i bought it...so quite happy with it :)

• SRC Member
T95....actually i did not intend to get sps one..coz too cheem for me....but the ahpek say if i want...give me good price...so i thought of trying since the price is good...

was thinking if turn brown then start giving to those sps dudes here..but still purple and in fact gotten more purple since i bought it...so quite happy with it :)

Was told that SPS turning brown is a good sign because it means that it is making food using photosynthesis. Dont know true or not. When I was diving about 2 weeks back, most of the SPS I saw are brown in color.

I have been considering a closed loop system too but have been afraid that I might not be about to generate enough flow rate. To generate enough flow rate, the pump is extremely expensive. A 4500l/hr is about 2 - 3 times the price of Eheim 1262.

Was told that SPS turning brown is a good sign because it means that it is making food using photosynthesis. Dont know true or not. When I was diving about 2 weeks back, most of the SPS I saw are brown in color.

I have been considering a closed loop system too but have been afraid that I might not be about to generate enough flow rate. To generate enough flow rate, the pump is extremely expensive. A 4500l/hr is about 2 - 3 times the price of Eheim 1262.

turning brown means the lights are not enough i think...who told you that turn brown is good..hehe? :o

can sps gurus please clarify?

close loop systems are not place within the tank itself.

close loop systems are highly effective for people who find Tunze's an overkill. like my 4ft. more than enough for circulation although I have one dead spot smack in the center. oh well.

to each his own. I stand by my system. I may have to get a Tunze to solve the center dead spot problem. apart from that, its doing fine. (=