Power Drill

Joe_P

• SRC Supporter
get black n decker .... ;)

I have a black and Decker but its single speed... acrylics are bound to crack...

and I'm using it to drill 9 mm diameter holes... so miniature drills are out......

Those cordless drills have a lower rpm and are suitable for drilling acrylic but best to get a power drill with continously variable speed instead of those 2 or 3 preset speed kind. Use a grinding stone to de-sharpen the tip of the drill bit so that it drill by "scraping" action instead of "slicing" action, this will greatly reduce the chances of the drill bit "grabbing" and cracking the acrylic.

• SRC Member

Actually, most drills come with a pressure controlled switch for variable speed control.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

Tanzy is right, most do come with speed control. Don't forget to get drill bits for acrylic or it will crack! One way is to modify the drill bit for acrylic use.

Acrylic Aquarium Filtering Systems

Acrylic tanks, sumps, protein skimmers, overflow box, refugium, calcium reactors, zeovit reactors and many more...

Our New Address:

Blk 9003, Tampines St. 93,

Tampines Industrial Park A,

#03-134, Singapore 528837

(Located behind Tampines SAFRA)

Contact Nos.

(Tel) +65 9298 9489

(Fax) +65 6588 4711

Please direct your...

Email me : info@iaquatic.com

*Please do not send PM's to us. Thank you

• SRC Supporter
Tanzy is right, most do come with speed control. Don't forget to get drill bits for acrylic or it will crack! One way is to modify the drill bit for acrylic use.

Drill bits for acrylic?? Modify??

How do I do that???

I'm actually holding on to one of those cordless drill but they can't hold a 9mm drill bit .... :(

Btw, to get a 9mm hole, is it safer to drill a smaller hole so as to guide the bigger drill bit in......???

• SRC Member

hmmmm.. how OLD is your drill?! :lol:

they have separate drill bits for different materials actually...

and ya it's safer to drill a smaller hole then use that to guide the bigger drill bit in... smaller surface area = higher pressure = less change of movement = more accuracy :peace:

The world is such a wicked place,war btween the human race. People work to earn their bread,while across the sea they're counting dead

• SRC Member

Are you gonna drill a flat acrylic or cylinder?

If your gonna use this drill bit size alot, then i recoment that you get a hole saw at that size. I will cost you more but in the long run it's better. I got 3 sizes for PVC plumbing sizes. 16mm, 20mm and 25mm. For your "Future Plans" you should get a proper drill. Take it as an investment. :D

Acrylic tanks, sumps, protein skimmers, overflow box, refugium, calcium reactors, zeovit reactors and many more...

Our New Address:

Contact Nos.

(Tel) +65 9298 9489

(Fax) +65 6588 4711

Please direct your...

• SRC Supporter

If your gonna use this drill bit size alot, then i recoment that you get a hole saw at that size. I will cost you more but in the long run it's better. I got 3 sizes for PVC plumbing sizes. 16mm, 20mm and 25mm. For your "Future Plans" you should get a proper drill. Take it as an investment. :D

Is there a hold saw for size 9mm ???

How much would a hold saw cost me??

• SRC Member

Sorry I just realised that 9mm is too small. I don't think they have one for that size. Sorry.

File the corners of your drill bit. Not the Tip!

Our New Address:

Contact Nos.

(Tel) +65 9298 9489

(Fax) +65 6588 4711

Please direct your...

• SRC Supporter
Sorry I just realised that 9mm is too small. I don't think they have one for that size. Sorry.

File the corners of your drill bit. Not the Tip!

Fil;e the corners....???

ain't drill bits hardened carbonic steel???

Pls share... cos I'm alittle lost... :blink:

You can use those grinding stone used for sharpening kitchen knife to de-sharpen the "tips(look at the side view) of the cutting edges" as shown on the diagrams below.

{D8E77887-487B-42E0-9FB7-244FDE88C59E}lg

Below is the rough sketch of the side view of the cutting edge before modification.

{0BD5236B-1358-491C-BE85-9B27D64B2E4B}lg

and the edge after de-sharpening.

{48A022D1-A7B3-4CAB-9BE7-363E4BAB50CD}lg

• SRC Member

hehe..Ian..

very true indeed to have assorted drill bits and hole saw sizes for all "purposes"..

i have all sizes all the way to even a 6" hole saw! actually drill bits aside, the most important thing to have is a proper clamp system..flat surfaces are simple job..round surfaces require a good clamp in place so you'll get perfect drills which will warrant leakfree joints! For precise drilling on round surface, it is important to do slow drilling into the acrylic surface to prevent cracks..our acrylic tubes from local suppliers are usually extruded acrylic...very low density..very brittle..they crack very easily unlike cast acrylic tubes..

Forget normal handrills, GET A DRILL PRESS..perfect perpendicular drills!!