sun coral help

yikai

• Senior Reefer

Hi. purchased a sun coral today from henry at marine life. Very nice, beautiful big specimen that opens up very very nicely. However, today i notice something. Some parts of the orange skeleton of the coral is grey, instead of orange. I dunno if its spreading.... Is this normal? My coral is still opening very very very well, area with moderate flow, and at the bottom of tank, so not very bright. Is it getting bleached? If it is, i can replace it somewhere else. Please help, i hope its not dying. Just got it today! Is it my water quality?

• SRC Member

if i'm not wrong.. sun corals can't bleach, because they dun host zooxanthella (symbiotic algae), as such they are not photosynthetic (does not require lights).. they only require good flow, and regular feeding with meaty food for EACH head.. (correct me if i'm wrong)

the grey part u are referring to, i believe is part of the sun coral flesh that is receding.. that is, its showing the skeleton/rock.. if it is just abit, up ur feeding with the suns and it should recover in no time..

as a guide, i feed my suns once every 2 days (if possible) with squirts of blend mix of seafood, henry's gourmet will do..

hope that helps, a pic would be good though.. :)

• SRC Member

if not fed, the flesh will recede until it dies lor.. showing only skeleton lor..

dun worry man, suns are very hardy, if u feed it often, it will grow back and be fleshy in no time..

it is normal for suns to open only at night.. maybe for a start, u feed them at night lor.. even better, no fishes to kajiao..

whenever i feed my fishes, the suns will all bloom big big, even in the day.. u can try frozen cyclopeeze.. one squirt, all will open.. the smell drives them crazy..

• Senior Reefer

haha. i smsed henry. He said this greyness is normal. Just continue feeding. ok. will feed it normally. One day one time to help improve it. then slowly change to 2 days one time like what u do. thanks! =)

haha. i smsed henry. He said this greyness is normal. Just continue feeding. ok. will feed it normally. One day one time to help improve it. then slowly change to 2 days one time like what u do. thanks! =)

As long as you target feed them it should recover in no time...

haha thanks. Henry said this is normal, and can recover well. just feed normally. and yea i bought the nicest looking sun coral in henry's tank haha.

wat colour u bought?? i saw a fully yellow with around 20+ heads, very nice!! maybe tomorow going to buy.... hope i'm not too late.. haha.... anyway u bought at 45 right??

• Senior Reefer
wat colour u bought?? i saw a fully yellow with around 20+ heads, very nice!! maybe tomorow going to buy.... hope i'm not too late.. haha.... anyway u bought at 45 right??

Haha i bought the one looks orange in henry's light, whole colony got about 20++++ heads. All fully opened when i bought it, now at home also. Very beautiful. Price, i dun say bah =)

• SRC Member

one of my supersun head receeded till half skeleton after getting sting by my hammer. after 2 weeks for daily feeding, the flesh grow back completely and is now opening almost 24/7.. =]

if you are worried, you may like to feed it alittle more then the rest of the area/heads..

just my 2 cents..

A man with a reef tank is a man with an empty wallet...

• Senior Reefer
one of my supersun head receeded till half skeleton after getting sting by my hammer. after 2 weeks for daily feeding, the flesh grow back completely and is now opening almost 24/7.. =]

if you are worried, you may like to feed it alittle more then the rest of the area/heads..

just my 2 cents..

what do u feed ur suns? i feed mysis shrimp and henry's reef food. I dont feed every polyp....i feed most of them, but not all. Is it neccesary to feed all? Henry told me that if they polyps are connected to the same base, dun need to feeed all.

• SRC Member

I don't really target feed my suns... too many heads, and the fishes will come and snatch the food away before the coral can pull it in. I just use Henry's food and let the current carry it around. But once in a while I do try target feeding with brine/mysis shrimp.