Starting Afresh..

Bought a new zoas last sunday and nitrite somehow spiked, caused 5 of my fishes to die. Think im still too noob at reefing, after building my tank for several months, hope more senior reefers can share their knowledge and experience with me. :)

Just threw away my goniopora coral (part of it is already dead) and my bubble (has not opened up for days already). So heartpain when i threw them inside the plastic bag :cry2:

My current livestock in my 2ft tank is only my 4days true percula & cardinal that has not eaten anything till now, but has survived despite the NO2 spike. Other than that i still have a starfish, 1 clam, 1 sun coral and couple of invertibrates.

Now im gonna just recycle my tank for another 2weeks probably changing 10% of my water weekly till i start getting livestocks. My coral wishlists are as follow: bubble coral, zoas, torch coral & hammer coral. (probably these few hardys)

Got afew questions that i wanna ask u guys

1: is it ok to overdose my API stress zyme (bacteria booster)?

2: what are the neccessary test kits that are needed to keep those corals i mentioned and few fishes?

3: what is the main reason there's a nitrite spike after i introduce zoas to my tank? insufficient bacteria? what should i do to prevent this again?

4: why is my healthy bubble that i brought from pasir ris fish farm not opening after blooming for the 1st few days?

Hope to get some replies soon so that i can start reefing happily again :rolleyes:

• Senior Reefer

1)dun over dose bacteria. will reduce oxygen content in water. just dose the stipulated amount :)

2)test kits needed are nitrite, ammonia, calcium, kh, magnesium,phosphate and nitrate. i think nitrate, phosphate and magnesium not as imprtant as the rest, but u might wanna get them anyway.

3)i think when u add ur zoas, there was an increase in bio load/something die off, and this cause a spike. how to prevent this? add livestock slowly, dun chiong and let ur biological system accomodate. also, increase ur biological filtration by adding bacteria and let ur tank mature.

4)ur bubble coral, this one i have no idea. but bubble corals usually more sensitive and require slightly more time to adjust. once it adjust, they can be very hardy.

dun worry bro, we all start out with problems. many people here will help you :) just feel free to ask, im sure many of us will be more than happy to give u tips.

• SRC Member
1)dun over dose bacteria. will reduce oxygen content in water. just dose the stipulated amount :)

2)test kits needed are nitrite, ammonia, calcium, kh, magnesium,phosphate and nitrate. i think nitrate, phosphate and magnesium not as imprtant as the rest, but u might wanna get them anyway.

3)i think when u add ur zoas, there was an increase in bio load/something die off, and this cause a spike. how to prevent this? add livestock slowly, dun chiong and let ur biological system accomodate. also, increase ur biological filtration by adding bacteria and let ur tank mature.

4)ur bubble coral, this one i have no idea. but bubble corals usually more sensitive and require slightly more time to adjust. once it adjust, they can be very hardy.

dun worry bro, we all start out with problems. many people here will help you :) just feel free to ask, im sure many of us will be more than happy to give u tips.

Tip:-

When you introduce any new corals....try to put them into the tank when the lights are off. Ideally in the evening to prevent "shocking" coz zoas and other softies will release toxins during handling or new environment.

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member
Bought a new zoas last sunday and nitrite somehow spiked, caused 5 of my fishes to die. Think im still too noob at reefing, after building my tank for several months, hope more senior reefers can share their knowledge and experience with me. :)

Just threw away my goniopora coral (part of it is already dead) and my bubble (has not opened up for days already). So heartpain when i threw them inside the plastic bag :cry2:

My current livestock in my 2ft tank is only my 4days true percula & cardinal that has not eaten anything till now, but has survived despite the NO2 spike. Other than that i still have a starfish, 1 clam, 1 sun coral and couple of invertibrates.

Now im gonna just recycle my tank for another 2weeks probably changing 10% of my water weekly till i start getting livestocks. My coral wishlists are as follow: bubble coral, zoas, torch coral & hammer coral. (probably these few hardys)

Got afew questions that i wanna ask u guys

1: is it ok to overdose my API stress zyme (bacteria booster)?

2: what are the neccessary test kits that are needed to keep those corals i mentioned and few fishes?

3: what is the main reason there's a nitrite spike after i introduce zoas to my tank? insufficient bacteria? what should i do to prevent this again?

4: why is my healthy bubble that i brought from pasir ris fish farm not opening after blooming for the 1st few days?

Hope to get some replies soon so that i can start reefing happily again :rolleyes:

1st thing... Dun worry u're not alone hu's tank's "crashed" I oso once...

2nd thing... Try to change more water maybe 20% daily?? :upsidedown: Ur choice... ;)

3rd thing... Answering ur questions...

1) Overdose as u said "overdose" so shld be a prob...

2) Basically... No2, No3, Nh4, pH... Cal if euu're keeping SPS...

3) IMO ur filter has not settled down yet... And yet, euu introduce the zoas...

4) Shld be due to the no2 spike... ;)

With all these look at the brighter side... Euu can rescape and add in new LS when ur tank recovered... :D

1ft cube with IOS [the low tech tank]

1. JBJ C-breeze to keep temp hovering around 27-28'C

2. LED clip on - 120 bulbs

-skimmer-less-

My 3 humble equipments that keeps my tank running... [DRIED OUT]

1. The RSM itself of course 2.My NEW Deltec MCE-300 Skimmer 3. My trusty Arctica Chiller

Tank parameters:

Temperature maintained at 25.3'C to 24.7'C

No3: 10ppm(b4 the use of the deltec skimmer)

No3: 5ppm (after use of the skimmer)

Others? too lazy to measure...LOL

Camera- EOS 50D