Rimless tank in SG any issue

• SRC Member

Hi, i am preparing to setup a rimless tank in my room. wonder is there any issue i will face?

eg of my ideal tank

IMG_2364.jpg

below is what i want but the it will be preferably EOS

Picture245.jpg

I am just an average FR (fish reefing) writer. If you like my FRs, please upz my points.

• SRC Member

Expected tank size: 3ft x 20 inches (height) and 28-30 inch width tank in my room. It will be rimless and if possible going for braceless too.

Here my existing items from my last setup

Lightset :Powermodul ATI 6 x 39W ( i do have one aqualight mod with 3 MH for 3 ft but i doubt i will be using it)

return Pump: Ocrean Runner 6500

Chiller Artical 1/4 HP

Skimmer is H&S A200-2x2001 External Protein Skimmer up to 325g

tunze 6045, 6055 & 6100 (2 pcs) and light probe

TLF FR

fancy toy like lunar tracker (moonlight)

aquamedic ozone.

will be getting Grotech dosing pump for bailing method in the near future.

Can someone tell me what the cons of having a low tank (height of 20 inches) and i will be hanging my powermodul on the ceiling to give my tank a minimalist look. Hoodless means more fish will start to jump out of the tank? sorry i am rather noob with a low tank. My previous tank has a height of 38 inch thus i need to "dive" into the tank or use tongs to place coral.

I want some tank for easy maintenance and i love to keep yumas and rics. Please advise.

I am just an average FR (fish reefing) writer. If you like my FRs, please upz my points.

Expected tank size: 3ft x 20 inches (height) and 28-30 inch width tank in my room. It will be rimless and if possible going for braceless too.

Here my existing items from my last setup

Lightset :Powermodul ATI 6 x 39W ( i do have one aqualight mod with 3 MH for 3 ft but i doubt i will be using it)

return Pump: Ocrean Runner 6500

Chiller Artical 1/4 HP

Skimmer is H&S A200-2x2001 External Protein Skimmer up to 325g

tunze 6045, 6055 & 6100 (2 pcs) and light probe

TLF FR

fancy toy like lunar tracker (moonlight)

aquamedic ozone.

will be getting Grotech dosing pump for bailing method in the near future.

Can someone tell me what the cons of having a low tank (height of 20 inches) and i will be hanging my powermodul on the ceiling to give my tank a minimalist look. Hoodless means more fish will start to jump out of the tank? sorry i am rather noob with a low tank. My previous tank has a height of 38 inch thus i need to "dive" into the tank or use tongs to place coral.

I want some tank for easy maintenance and i love to keep yumas and rics. Please advise.

Hi Bro,

Most decent tank makers will be reluctant to build have braceless tank using the regular silicone. I suggest you look for a experience tank maker and one who is willing to use silicone that take longer time to sure such as Dow Corning 733 instead of those fast curing China brand silicone. Using DC will mean that your tank will need a minimum 1 week before delivery while fast curing silicone will only need 2-3 days.

Regards,

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member
Hi Bro,

Most decent tank makers will be reluctant to build have braceless tank using the regular silicone. I suggest you look for a experience tank maker and one who is willing to use silicone that take longer time to sure such as Dow Corning 733 instead of those fast curing China brand silicone. Using DC will mean that your tank will need a minimum 1 week before delivery while fast curing silicone will only need 2-3 days.

Regards,

Thanks for the reply.

but if the brace is those at the bottom of the tank do they still face the challenge?

Thanks for the reply.

but if the brace is those at the bottom of the tank do they still face the challenge?

Hi Zorden,

Bottom brace may lessen the load on the joints but still prudent to use a good silicone. This is because we cannot avoid leaning our hands over the top that is without brace when doing our maintenance - this will add a lot of stress on the joints. Silicone that cures fast usually will harden thus will not be able to withstand the stress (Same theory as to why glass will break easily and metal will not).

You can ask around there are still some good tank makers willing to use the higher grade, longer curing silicone.

HTH

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Supporter

u will have problem placing wavemakers, definaately ur wavemaker will blow towards the glass and have a rebound current, however.. salt water will spill out alittle, therefore ur floor will always be sticky

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

• SRC Member

Why not use acrylic tank? :) will be better right? But cost will be higher. And u got to take care of it. If not alot of scratches.

Reefing is like a Relationship, Once you fall in Love with it, You will Love it for Life... :wub:

5a8bbdf6e2308_YUMA16.png.f2e17836611683574a142ad6fbd86466.png

• SRC Member

some tank makers at the corner edges, they have this triangular strip of glass to give added strength to the joints. request for that.

---------------------------------------------

The Deep Blue Sea in My HDB!

http://myfishyroomates.blogspot.com

• SRC Member
some tank makers at the corner edges, they have this triangular strip of glass to give added strength to the joints. request for that.

hmm. nice idea. well i will check out with the local tank maker. well i really want to have the fun of setting up the tank but yet i couldn't bear the risk of having salt water damaging my flooring.

in fact i am looking to "change my skimmer" into a insump and might go for a bigger cabinet to give me more room to place my equipments in the cabinet. well right now i am in the mist of R&D.

thanks for the reply guys

• SRC Member
hmm. nice idea. well i will check out with the local tank maker. well i really want to have the fun of setting up the tank but yet i couldn't bear the risk of having salt water damaging my flooring.

in fact i am looking to "change my skimmer" into a insump and might go for a bigger cabinet to give me more room to place my equipments in the cabinet. well right now i am in the mist of R&D.

thanks for the reply guys

btw is the above mentioned wavemakers overkill for my tank? will be using tunze 7095 to control the 3 wavemaker. :eyebrow:

omg i am procuring almost everyday.. except Tank.. :paiseh:

• SRC Supporter

bro u having sand? or BB?

if ur tank no bracing then it will be a challange to position ur wave makers esp if u got sand.

and i think 6100x2 + 6055 will be too much current even u keep sps, bcos corals cannot have direct flow, need indirect flow annd to achieve that u need ur glass to help :)

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

• SRC Member
bro u having sand? or BB?

if ur tank no bracing then it will be a challange to position ur wave makers esp if u got sand.

and i think 6100x2 + 6055 will be too much current even u keep sps, bcos corals cannot have direct flow, need indirect flow annd to achieve that u need ur glass to help :)

u mean i cannot direct the flow to the glass since i don have the bracing to enhance the integrity of the tank?

i guess i have to be prudent and do this IMG_3062.jpg

IMG_3083.jpg

• SRC Supporter

yes bro..but what i meant that u cannot do that is bcos.. u will haf salt creeps and sticky floors..

when wave blow onto glasses. like the power of 6100, it can cause such effect.

unless u dun mind abt the sticky floor :)

but ur last post looks good!

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

• SRC Member
Hi, i am preparing to setup a rimless tank in my room. wonder is there any issue i will face?

eg of my ideal tank

IMG_2364.jpg

below is what i want but the it will be preferably EOS

Picture245.jpg

Cool... :heh: Beowing this for my next tank upgrade... But finance wise... <_< Ahem..

1ft cube with IOS [the low tech tank]

1. JBJ C-breeze to keep temp hovering around 27-28'C

2. LED clip on - 120 bulbs

-skimmer-less-

My 3 humble equipments that keeps my tank running... [DRIED OUT]

1. The RSM itself of course 2.My NEW Deltec MCE-300 Skimmer 3. My trusty Arctica Chiller

Tank parameters:

Temperature maintained at 25.3'C to 24.7'C

No3: 10ppm(b4 the use of the deltec skimmer)

No3: 5ppm (after use of the skimmer)

Others? too lazy to measure...LOL

Camera- EOS 50D

• SRC Member
Cool... :heh: Beowing this for my next tank upgrade... But finance wise... <_< Ahem..

ahem.. now i got all the equipment stand by liao. doing my read up for the next setup but just confused in the tank design :cry2:

my previous tank CMI and the design is very bad. Mr Tang saw my previous tank setup... its too tall for me to "play" with it.

anyone remember MAxima of sgreef. The tank in his store room aka bomb shelter is really nice.too bad, he decomn his tank sometime back. it just a tank and a wooden rack. simple but yet his equipment ROCKS. BK..

split between the idea of a 3ft + a 2ft (propagation tank) idea from ATOM or just a 4ft alone.

functionality vs aesthetic.

Functionality is get a normal glass tank and use the savings on a dosing pump.

aesthetic is get a Starphire tank which is VERY costly.