250W MH Case Mod

ervine

• SRC Member

Hi guys,

I see there have been a lot of people interested in getting the 250W fixture from Viclite from my other post...

Anyway, I was one of those who went to get it, but I was not comfortable with it's weight and lack of a fan, so I've DIY-ed an external control box as well as cut a hole for an AC fan... here's how I did it...

1. Went to Sim Lim Tower to get the stuff I needed

- AC fan (I already had one) - $12

- AC fan power cord (please buy, damn leh chey to DIY) - $1 - $2

- Cloth insulated wire - $1/m

- Wire connector thing - $1.20

- Metal box - $12.50

bought from neighbour hood hardware store

- Black insulated wire - $0.4/m (for blowhole)

- Super Glue Gel - $3.80

- Screw, nuts, washers - $2

Other stuff that I needed like the wire cutters, drills etc I already have them so didn't buy...

So here's what I did, firstly I emptied out the inards of the current housing, took out everything from the E40 holder to the reflector and of course all the control gear..

I then measured the size of the blowhole required and the locations of the screws required for the fan... then it was off to the workshop to drill a hole...

Here's what it looks like..

post-9-1070442254.jpg

• SRC Member

Okay forgot to mention that I also went to mark out the areas on the base of the metal box that I needed to drill to attach the control gear...

Here's a look at the box with the holes and stuff.... also note that the box came with small "legs" to keep it off the ground... good stuff..

post-9-1070442410.jpg

• SRC Member

Here's the control box with cover, note that there are vent holes (err.. picture too dark to see) at the sides.. quite important considering how hot it'll get...

Also note that I've used cloth insulated wires... heard from the net that these are better because of the high current being pumped through the wires, don't want anything to melt would we!

post-9-1070442569.jpg

• SRC Member

Well that's it.. hope you guys like what you see...

Anyway I've spent a little under $200 bucks for the whole thing, so I think it's a pretty good deal... but I've still yet to figure out how to mount it!! HHahaa... will decide when I get the tank...

As for wiring, everything is already done up when you get the fixture from Viclite, all one needs to do is to locate the live and neutral leads and extend them with the cloth insulated wire..

Also, I've earthed BOTH the external control box as well as the light housing itself... very important, don't want to get killed doing up a tank!

A little bit of planning and more importantly a proper drill and anyone can do this!

Oh... and the best part is... although the casing is now very much lighter, it still is a little heavy but at least the weight is now evened out as the AC fan balances it out.. as compared to previously when the weight of the ballast was all on one side of the fixture...

Okay that's all for now...

• SRC Member

I had thought of the same thing but didnt do it cos dont have a 4inch drill (if there is such a thing). how you cut the big hole? did you dill small holes along the edge and cut off then file?? I also thought of cutting off the section where the ballast was placed in. lokk better if it is smaller.

• SRC Member
I had thought of the same thing but didnt do it cos dont have a 4inch drill (if there is such a thing). how you cut the big hole? did you dill small holes along the edge and cut off then file?? I also thought of cutting off the section where the ballast was placed in. lokk better if it is smaller.

---------

good diy!!!!

thanks for sharing the ideas but dya mind to share as well the shop names and locations where u source out all these...

thanks!

I have access to a bench drill (er.. those NOT hand held ones) so it's A LOT easier to drill multple holes... I drew a circle drilled a crapload of holes around its circumference, broke the thing off, then filed it down to smoothen it...

I also added the lining to make it look cleaner....

To cut off the ballast area is DAMN DAMN difficult.. because:

1. Can't get a clean cut

2. Can't get the metal box to straighten out

3. Can't get access to proper tools

Besides, it's better to just keep it, the weight of the AC fan balances it off... also, might be able to use the space for something... eg. moonlight?

Shop names and locations? Just go Sim Lim Tower top floor loh.. got so many shops to choose from... can get almost everything there..

Of course the light fixture is from Viclite (see my other MH post), bulb from Edmund...

• SRC Member

I figure that how you cut. aiyo very lacher with a handheld drill. Thats what stopping me from doing. Plus I have already mounted my. You can get those U type screw to secure the housing and hang it with chains. I couldnt drill my ceiling cos it false ceilling so using 2 L brackets to mount the chains and keep it short so cant really see.

• SRC Member
I figure that how you cut. aiyo very lacher with a handheld drill. Thats what stopping me from doing. Plus I have already mounted my. You can get those U type screw to secure the housing and hang it with chains. I couldnt drill my ceiling cos it false ceilling so using 2 L brackets to mount the chains and keep it short so cant really see.

U mean yours is hung from the wall issit? I wanted some way to mount it without any physical alterations to the walls or ceiling...

Any ideas?

Oh BTW, how's the heat from this thing?

Hi ervine,

MH lamps are not supposed to be cooled directly by blowing on the lamp directly as it affects the lamp performance . It willcreate uneven sttress on the glass as well as eneven cooling leading to unstable lamp characteristics.

If you notice stadium lights all over Singapore they are using selaed weatherproof housing without cooling.

I think there is a misconception about cooling MH lights. The cooling should be directed at the ballast instead of the lamp. The lamp does not need cooling. Cooling the lamp is not recommended.

Robe

• SRC Member
Hi ervine,

MH lamps are not supposed to be cooled directly by blowing on the lamp directly as it affects the lamp performance . It willcreate uneven sttress on the glass as well as eneven cooling leading to unstable lamp characteristics.

If you notice stadium lights all over Singapore they are using selaed weatherproof housing without cooling.

I think there is a misconception about cooling MH lights. The cooling should be directed at the ballast instead of the lamp. The lamp does not need cooling. Cooling the lamp is not recommended.

Robe

Yah i have read about it... MHs are supposed to run at 100degC or so.. but my fan is directed the other way, so it's ###### out heat rather than blowing directly on it...

It's not so much cooling the bulb, rather it's supposed to remove latent heat built up so that it's not transferred to the tank... Unlike stadium lights whose heat won't be going anywhere near anyone...

Should be okay I guess... as for my ballast, I'm just going to leave it as it is... to be cooled normally...

• SRC Member
not latent heat lah. latent heat = no change of temperature :P

I think. =\ trying to act smart here. sorry.

Er... I don't think so...

Taken off dictionary.com..

-----

la·tent ( P ) Pronunciation Key (ltnt)

adj.

Present or potential but not evident or active: latent talent.

-----

But doesn't matter lah... call it the "extra/built-up" heat...

physics definition of potential latent heat = amount of energy required to heat up one kg of mass without a change in temperature. :P

in short, the heat that is absorbed without a change in temperature is termed latent heat of the substance, be it fusion or evaporation. (=

thats why SI unit of latent heat is kg/J and not kg/J/deg C. :P

okay okay too much. hahaha.

but good to know that I still can remember my physics. =\

• SRC Member
physics definition of potential latent heat = amount of energy required to heat up one kg of mass without a change in temperature. :P

in short, the heat that is absorbed without a change in temperature is termed latent heat of the substance, be it fusion or evaporation. (=

thats why SI unit of latent heat is kg/J and not kg/J/deg C. :P

okay okay too much. hahaha.

but good to know that I still can remember my physics. =\

Heh... as I said, doesn't matter...

• SRC Member
Hi ervine

Nice DIY

Do you have pics of the front side after the DIY and also the MH on the tank.

Thanks

Here's a pic of the underside of the thing.. I hope that's what you meant.. sorry no pic of the MH on tank yet because there is no tank yet... nor is there a bulb yet... (still unhappy about this... grumble)

post-9-1070514447.jpg