how to keep clam

Kira

hi there may i know how can i keep clam?

i recently start to put in coral like clam.

i find that i buy the clam very nice open very well but it never open at my tank.

what is the suitable temperature?

i test NO3 is maybe 25? to 40? high but NO2 is low, PH is 8. what did i left out?

my fish all ok, mygistic, koran angel, butter fly, clown and goby etc . . . . all ok.

but just that all coral i buy hmm turn up to be worse and worse.

brain i but at reborn also slowly can see it become smaller and smaller.

some how i got a cheap anemone, is the only coral that is in good condition.

• Senior Reefer
hi there may i know how can i keep clam?

i recently start to put in coral like clam.

i find that i buy the clam very nice open very well but it never open at my tank.

what is the suitable temperature?

i test NO3 is maybe 25? to 40? high but NO2 is low, PH is 8. what did i left out?

my fish all ok, mygistic, koran angel, butter fly, clown and goby etc . . . . all ok.

but just that all coral i buy hmm turn up to be worse and worse.

brain i but at reborn also slowly can see it become smaller and smaller.

some how i got a cheap anemone, is the only coral that is in good condition.

corals and clams with angels and butterflies? bro i think u need to read up on livestock and livestock compatibility...... it is understood that angels and butterflies cannot coexist with corals. even though it seems ok at first, they will eventually eat the coral up. depends on what kind of corals also...if its noxious corals like leather, they will leave it alone. (btw if its leather, it won't die so easily...so im guessing ur coral isnt leather). and usually they will leave SPS alone, but they might try pecking it once or twice (and i highly doubt that ur dead corals are SPS. ur NO3 lvl is too high for SPS).

Clams are a big no no with big angels like koran and majestic. They may nip and eat the clam's mantles. stressing it and the clam will not open. maybe this is the case for u. temperature should be around 26-28. maybe get ur NO3 down to 10-20. and dun add any corals if u intend on keeping those fishes... quite a waste of money unless u have a huge huge tank with many many corals. if in a confined space, eventually they will devour it.

my $0.02

clams are not corals. but their requirements are almost similar to some of them. good to high lighting, good flow and clean water

if u really want to try angels and butterflies with ur corals, i suggest u try dwarf angels. the best dwarves in my opinion for reefsafeness is golden, coral beauty and flame, and that argi angel or flameback. even then, keeping a dwarf angel is not 100% reef safe. they might still eat ur corals even if they don't initially. but there is a 50% chance they wont, as compared to ur koran with 0% chance of reefsafeness.

for butterflies, u might want to try those long nosed variety such as chelmon and forcipigers. the most commonly offered chelmon is copperband butterfly. and forcipiger u can choose between longnose butterfly and the other similar but have a slighly longer nose. that is the long-long nose butterflyfish. these 3 are like dwarves also. hit and miss thing.

the best is dun keep any angels and butterflies if u wan 100% reef safe. if u choose dwarves and the 3 butterflies i have mentioned, ur chance of reefsafeness are lowered, but its a definate possibility that they wont eat ur corals.

big angels and most other butterflies will eat ur corals indiscriminately.

wao ic ic thankyou all.

i got cheato to reduce NO3.

i also put little sea chem stone form that put in sump to reduce NO3 . what othe way can i use? is it cheato not enough?

ok i think i will keep coral beauty and flame. but my coral beauty and flame just die. as i often off my power at night.

lsat time i only keep 5 to 8 fish no problem when i off for 8 hour at night but now i intro fish cannot liao.

as for light i normally on 2 tube to T5 clam at height of 1.3 ft from the light is it ok?

haha i totally have no idea of names of butterfiles fish . . . nvm i try to find out.

thankyou

• Senior Reefer

i really hate to say this, and forgive me if im harsh. but from the way i am seeing things, u still have alot to learn about this hobby. firstly from reading the topics u have posted, i have realised that u

1) do not realise the importance of constant running pump providing circulation and removal of waste

2) never plan ur livestock properly and compatibility

3) never understand the livestock requirements

4) from the looks of things, u sound like a new comer in this hobby (correct me if im wrong). If so, u should not be jumping to angels and butterflies so soon...please read up on the requrements of these delicate fishes. and turning off the pump is definately a big no. i dunno where u heard it from but this is bad advice.

ok, now that we have established that, let me try to help you with ur problems. using chaeto to solve ur NO3 problem is a longterm plan and you will not see instant results. also u need ALOT of chaeto to make a difference. provide light and GOOD FLOW to ur chaeto. make sure ur chaeto receives flow. infact, if can, blow water at it so that it is moving or tumbling around. they like that. i too am going tru some NO3 problems. the best way to lower it is to do water changes until u reach a satifying level of NO3 u want. then identify the root cause, i.e overfeeding, hevy bioload, minimal filtration. Since u turn off ur power for 1/3 of the day, most likely ur tank is getting stagnant and since u off the pump, water cannot flow to the sump to be cleaned.. ur fish is just living in their filth. cannot do that.

Next for clams, T5 is not enuf unless u place them really high up at ur tank. also keep an eye on ur dwarf angels and ur angels..butterflies... if u keeping big angels and butterflies, forget about the clam. ditch it. if u keeping dwarf angels, keep an eye on them too. they can go beserk and one day just eat up ur clam mantles.

$0.002 (: feel free to ask questions here... i believe that most of the ppl here will be willing to help you. but please do some research first. this is a demanding hobby and keeping ur livestock alive is very important.

1)hmmm ya i think need to on 24 hour, i use timer off it at night coz is a bit noise. due to pump got problem. . . . need to change one liao.

2 & 3 & 4) yap didnt plan at all as the whole tank and fish was given from a very good friend that go oversea to study 4-5 month ago. when i got the tank i have not much knowlegde and every thing was set up. i still got a remove NO3 cylinder that have a pump inside and calcium mixer with CO2 but not install as my friend said i dont need that at the moment. but got install digital PH reader and chiller and algae removeal reactor (i forget the name on it).

Recently find quite fun buy things that i think is nice nice errrr. dont know that they cannot co exist i think need to read more first. i last time keep tetra also dont have such problem haha. ya lar is fresh water last time.

my cheato at 2nd compartment of sump on top got light directly hmm there sure got flow.

nvm i think i go to shop get the media put in cylinder and install to remove NO3. friend told me to get from 328

my side only old fish that in tank for long time didnt die, new fish will . . .

hai i really like flame angel that just dead, clam that dont open up , and mygestic.nvm i think at times if such case need to give up some thing.

• SRC Member

Corals are under phylum Cnidaria while clams are Bivalves under phylum Mollusca. I recommend you read up on this hobby before buying anymore livestocks. There's lot's of resources within this forum alone. even more over the internet.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

yeah my tank is cycle.

when transport over all with lorry we use existing things.

or maybe more then 50% of adding water + salt hee hee.

that time friend tested ok with some fish b4 putting his main fish

Corals are under phylum Cnidaria while clams are Bivalves under phylum Mollusca

WA no idea what is it . . . .

yeah need to read read . . . .

speaking of angels and coral/clam and nipping nipping nipping....

i have 1 x Singapore angel to give away, free to anyone who can catch it. gawd knows i have tried.... big mistake, should not have bought it for my tank with contains corals. fish is still small maybe 11/2-2 inch only

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_educationcen...tId~325254.html

anyone interested pm me