crabs

fishiee

which shop sells crabs (reborn? aquamarin tanjong?) i am looking at hermit crabs and normal crabs that eat ALGAE, (the brown algae problem in my tank has now cleared and i have hair algae now; sadly, my toothbrush does not work on those)!!! (been looking at the Scarlet Red Hermit and the Emerald Mithrax Crab) can you also give me the rough estimate of the price? What is the population density recommnded for a 2 foot tank?

• Senior Reefer

Emerald mithrax crabs are aggressive and will attack fish when adult i think. crabs are opportunistic. persnonally never seen it in LFS before...very very rare i think.

get snails. they're better

• SRC Member
Emerald mithrax crabs are aggressive and will attack fish when adult i think. crabs are opportunistic. persnonally never seen it in LFS before...very very rare i think.

get snails. they're better

Actually most snails will leave hair algae alone, especially the ones that grow too long. But crabs are evil, so you've got to decide if you want to take the risk :P

Alternatively you can buy fishes that feed on hair algae, lawnmower blenny comes to mind. However, you've got to plan for it's diet once the hair algae is all gone.

My 1.5ft nano cube

My 24G nano tank (Decommed)

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.

And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

-- Jack Handey

CF has regular supply for scarlet hermit, electric blue legged hermit, porcelain crab(spelling error), etc. AM should have sally light crab. Ah beng side should have those cute red crab....

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

• Senior Reefer
CF has regular supply for scarlet hermit, electric blue legged hermit, porcelain crab(spelling error), etc. AM should have sally light crab. Ah beng side should have those cute red crab....

CF has all the crabs u want except pom pom and mithrax.

btw, solo bro. ur spelling is correct ;)

• SRC Member

Hi Fishiee

AM tanjong katong have some blue legged hermit crabs and some normal brown colour hermit crabs, an advice if you want to keep hermitcrab, get/buy some slightly bigger empty shells, once hermitcrab outgrow their existing shell, they need to change shell.

Hermitcrab do not live forever, lifespan is between 2-3years. Like all crabs and shrimp, they need vitamins for them to molt properly, for me, i add iodine and calcium.

• SRC Member

Ah Beng brings in different types of crabs. Sally light foots are good algae eaters

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• 2 weeks later...

from my limited experience, some turbo snails, a few hermits and a 4 monthly change of Anti-Phos helps keep the algae away.

FOWLR Tank : Decom

Invert Tank: Decom

Current Tank: 2 ft with 2ft sump, 2 pyjama Cardinals, 1 Watchman Goby, 8 sand gobies, common saltwater shrimps, 3 turbo snails. 1 super green paly