My friend's new tank!

Cedric

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

Getting nice... must see final product...

And nice concept you have there to use it as a bar with chairs as well...

Can we visit your friend's house when it is done for tank warming?

Really keen to look at the setup...

• SRC Member
Pic of the overflow box. If you can see the three big holes, its meant for 3 streams!

Cedric,

Is that a 1 piece overflow? Glass? If so, how did he get the slots cut on the top?

What are the smaller holes in at the bottom for?

Intelligent people talk about ideas......

Average people talk about things......

Small people talk about other people......

• SRC Member

Thanks for your concern. No doubt filtration wise it may not seem 100% efficient, however, the flow out from the overflow compartment to the skimmer and the refugium is still very high so water is still bing filtered. Thanks again!

Comments are welcome!

A slow flow thru the refugium and sump might be better...gives more time for denitrification per volume of water. More time for a certain volume of water to be skimmed and for photosynthesis to purify a certain volume of water.

Just my thoughts. ;)

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

Yup, Fuel, you're right! The flow through the refugium is very slow and gentle, much much slower than the flow through to the skimmer. The flow through the two overflow pipes are regulated by valves. Slow through the refugium, fast through the skimmer, both flow combine in the sump and return to main tank.

Skimmer brand is Riowell :)

Comments are welcome!

• SRC Member

i agree with fuel...but i still find this setup abit funny....no offence....water is flowing directly into the skimmer....that means the skimmer does not have much time contact time to remove the unwanted stuff....because the water inside is replaced at a fast rate...defeats the whole purpose

• SRC Member
Oh, THe tank maker cut the slots on a piece of black acrylic and then silicon it to the glass.

Oh, OK. So the overflow wall is one piece acrylic. Doesn't look that thick from the pics but I suppose it is holding.....

• SRC Member

No no, the overflow wall is one piece acrylic siliconned onto a glass wall. ;) And the two smaller holes are to draw water into the overflow compartment, coz the three streams are pushing all the water out from the overflow compartment. Sheesh, do I make any sense to you? :blink:

Comments are welcome!

• SRC Member
No no, the overflow wall is one piece acrylic siliconned onto a glass wall. ;)

You mean the overflow wall is siliconed onto another piece of glass that makes up the end of the tank? ie like a sandwhich? (well, kind of...)