FOWLR or ReefTank?

i've a new tank (6ftx2x2.5) for my new house soon. But, i'm still wondering if i should go straight to ReefTank instead of FOWLR, or start with FOWLR.

I'm a beginner to Marine Tank, but have lots of experiences in Freshwater - plants, all kind of fishes including Arowana, Discus, etc.

Can anybody shed me some lights and share your experience? Thanks.

• SRC Member

haha.. you have to ask yourself wat drew u to marine in the first place... the corals or the fishes? cos if u intend to keep corals... that would limit the choices of fishes u may keep... and many beautiful fishes eat corals.

• SRC Member
haha.. you have to ask yourself wat drew u to marine in the first place... the corals or the fishes? cos if u intend to keep corals... that would limit the choices of fishes u may keep... and many beautiful fishes eat corals.

True... Also corals need more additional equipments.. which you need to plan in your sump for future needs.

• SRC Supporter

Wow.. 6 ft tank .. :eyebrow::eyebrow: . Plan what you intent to keep first, so that you can plan waht are the equipment you need for your new setup be it FLOWER, LPS ,SPS or Mixed reef.

Try to go for a good equipment for a start, if not you will find yourself having to spend more money later to upgrade your equipment once this hobby get you more and more addicted. :P

• SRC Member

I am like u...

Have good experience in freshwater planted tank!

Like others said u need to get you plans straight, what you want!

Be reminded that compared to fresh water marine isn't a cheap hobby

1) Equipments needed is much more than Freshwater

2) Marine salt isn't cheap

3) Electricity consumption is quite high. All the equipment for salt water will consume lot of electricity.

All this boils down to lot of money!

My idea is not to scare you, but just to make u prepared!!

• SRC Member

This is some of my experience

Reef tank in the past

- very colorful and attractive, in my opinion generally coral tanks are more visually stunning then FOWLR

- aquascaping can be a real challenge but very rewarding

- u need a full range of eqpt, lights, CR, FR, skimmer, monitoring devices

- a fair bit of chemical parameters to be concerned about

- angels and butterflies etc. u will not be able to keep and somehow fish like to bite expensive and beautiful corals first

- corals toppling time to time, must dip your hand in and re-adjust. or one coral might be attacking another, then u need to reposition

FOWLR I run right now

- fun to see all kinds of fish swimming around, criss-crossing. colors are moving!

- fun to feed, feels good when u see all your fish eating greedily

- when u buy a skinny fish, over time it grows and become fat, u feel happy.

- disesase is a major headache! as you load your tank, the risk of disease from every new fish will increase

- once u decide on the aquascape, u can leave it as it is. fish will find their own place to hide.

---------------------------------------------

The Deep Blue Sea in My HDB!

http://myfishyroomates.blogspot.com

• SRC Member

Whatever you choose, be prepare to spend. This is an expensive hobby.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)