my new tank!

HellBliss

• SRC Member
haha ic.. post pics soon!

anyways been examining the sump tank and found that there were lots of sorb4 flying around.. its like very fine particles.. is it normal? will it clear off by itself? and my filter wool is covered by brown colour substance which i think is sorb 4 too. my flowrate through the fr is about 600 litres only..

guess is those very fine ones that came out from the FR. it will not clear off. u can try sucking it out when u change water. as for my tank, now still in a mess. havent gt the time to tidy up yet. will take pic after everything is settle down...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member
just did some tests and nitrite was 0.1 and nitrate 25!! so high..

skimmer after 12 hours

DSCF3137.jpg

Nice... :eyebrow: And on the note of the scaping... IMHO, its a little difficult to put corals on it... Unless u buy big big sps to Glue them on it... :pinch: Otherwise, its very nice... :eyebrow:

1ft cube with IOS [the low tech tank]

1. JBJ C-breeze to keep temp hovering around 27-28'C

2. LED clip on - 120 bulbs

-skimmer-less-

My 3 humble equipments that keeps my tank running... [DRIED OUT]

1. The RSM itself of course 2.My NEW Deltec MCE-300 Skimmer 3. My trusty Arctica Chiller

Tank parameters:

Temperature maintained at 25.3'C to 24.7'C

No3: 10ppm(b4 the use of the deltec skimmer)

No3: 5ppm (after use of the skimmer)

Others? too lazy to measure...LOL

Camera- EOS 50D

Interesting Rockscape...

Nice... :eyebrow: And on the note of the scaping... IMHO, its a little difficult to put corals on it... Unless u buy big big sps to Glue them on it... :pinch: Otherwise, its very nice... :eyebrow:

thx bros.. the more i look at it the more i like it lol. regarding coral placement i'll see how.. i've never even attached a single piece of coral to a rock before! super noob here.. i think i will attach montiporas to the cliff-like straight rocks so it looks overhanging and sps on the tips of the rock.(advice from the master)

and skimmate is the smelliest thing i've come across in my life. nobody warned me about it. :sick:

Hooked since March 2009

• SRC Member
thx bros.. the more i look at it the more i like it lol. regarding coral placement i'll see how.. i've never even attached a single piece of coral to a rock before! super noob here.. i think i will attach montiporas to the cliff-like straight rocks so it looks overhanging and sps on the tips of the rock.(advice from the master)

and skimmate is the smelliest thing i've come across in my life. nobody warned me about it. :sick:

Yes! creating a mountain of monti is always interesting... :eyebrow: Never tried it b4... :paiseh:

-skimmer-less-

1. The RSM itself of course 2.My NEW Deltec MCE-300 Skimmer 3. My trusty Arctica Chiller

Tank parameters:

Camera- EOS 50D

• SRC Member
just did some tests today.. nitrite was almost undetectable! but nitrate is still around 25ppm.

one more pic

under the t5

DSCF3189.jpg

Ok... Now u're suppose to change 50% of the water to get rid of as much nitrite as possible... :rolleyes:

-skimmer-less-

Tank parameters:

Camera- EOS 50D

just did some tests today.. nitrite was almost undetectable! but nitrate is still around 25ppm.

just from experience.... low NO3 or PO4 doesnt mean that ur tank already matured.... it is bcoz ur tank still empty... I would suggest that you throw few pcs of market prawn in the tank... by doing this, you can see the effect & water cycling process will be faster.... then test your water.....

{Tank Size:- 4ft L X 2ft W X 2.5ft H = Mixed Reef Tank}

{Light:- 2 X 54W T5 ATI - Aquablue Spezial & 1 Pro Color, 1 X 54W T5 Giesemann - Aquablue + & 1 Actinic +, 1 X 54W T5 UV H2ology}

{Chiller:- 1 HP split unit powered by Rio 14}

{Skimmer:- Reef Maniac Beckett Skimmer Powered by Rio20}

{Fluidized Reactor:- Reef Maniac FR with Rowaphos media}

{Return Pump:- 1 unit X 5,400 L/H}

{Circulation Pump:- SEIO M1100 + M820}

{Photos:- Powered by Nikon 7D, 24-70mm f2.8 L Lens, 85mm f1.8,100mm f2.8 Macro Lens & 580EXII}

• 2 weeks later...

after 3 weeks of cycling, ammonia and nitrite is 0 and nitrate around 10+, i could see lots of white colour things crawling around the black colour wall which i assumed are pods. are these signs that its safe to add fishes or inverts now?

Hooked since March 2009

wootz bro hellBliss! really excited for you :) I'm also cycling my tank now n i'm starting to see super small thingys growing on my rocks... will be following your thread closely to see what the seniors have to say!

haha thanks bro.. do post ur tank journal so we can learn from each other..

Hooked since March 2009

• SRC Member
after 3 weeks of cycling, ammonia and nitrite is 0 and nitrate around 10+, i could see lots of white colour things crawling around the black colour wall which i assumed are pods. are these signs that its safe to add fishes or inverts now?

those are pods...they are food for your fishes.

you can start adding corals...softies and lps...but not sps.

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member
those are pods...they are food for your fishes.

you can start adding corals...softies and lps...but not sps.

Else the sps will turn from colour to brown to white to green... :pinch:

-skimmer-less-

Tank parameters:

Camera- EOS 50D

• SRC Member
haha thanks bro.. do post ur tank journal so we can learn from each other..

yupz will do it soon... cycling's a real test on my patience! if i do a tank journal, surely will be even more tempted to put in fishes soon! haha

for now will just enjoy looking at all the beautiful tanks out in src...

• 2 weeks later...

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member
hello guys. what do u guys think of blue green chromis? webby says they are peaceful but are they really peaceful and suitable for being the first fish?

hehe bro u also thinking of getting the blue green chromis as first fish? From the forums I've been reading, they are v. suitable for first fish after cycling. Hardy and peaceful fish, with some tolerance of higher nitrate levels. Hope bros here can comment.

How many are you thinking of getting? I'm thinking of getting 3, dunno whether they will school with so few...

ya lo actually i bought a yasha goby ytd. so might hafta wait awhile before adding anymore fish.. trying to be patient here haha..

the yasha goby MIA after acclimating and adding to my tank. hope it will pop its head out soon. heard they are really passive fishes. will get a pistol shrimp and hope they pair.

ill probably add 3 x chromis ba..

Hooked since March 2009

• SRC Member

Yup, stock slowly for a successful and stable tank :D Anyway the blue/green chromis is a good choice as an early introduction to the tank. Very hardy and peaceful... greedy like pigs but peaceful haha. Looking forward to seeing your tank pics soon!

My 1.5ft nano cube

My 24G nano tank (Decommed)

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.

And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

-- Jack Handey