#1 sand size from LFS in Singapore

Achilles Tang

I think a lot of people are wondering about the sand size commonly named '#1 sand' sold in LFS.

From my analysis, #1 sand would be efficient for DSBs as the sand grains come in different sizes eg. as small as < 0.5mm to as big as 2.5mm.

But the common diameter size is in the 2mm (at least 40% from the sample taken) and 1.5mm (at least 50% from the sample taken) with the remaining percentage ranging from 0.5 to 1mm)

Although a higher percentage of oolithic sand size would be excellent, very fine coral sand is rarely available, unless you would willing to settle for quartz sand taken from our beaches.

The prefered oolithic sand grain size is 0.1 to 0.25 mm, which would enable a much larger surface size for bacteria to grow on (eg. more efficient biological and more nutrient recycling) and for sediment dwelling amphipods and copepods to move about happily in.

no1sandsize.jpg

• SRC Member

No.1 and 2 size sand are the perfect sizes for use on a plenum system for natural nitrate reduction whereas DSB advocates the use of sugar size sand. Short of the perfect media for DSB, plenum systems are a excellect substitute with only a minor hassle to build the plenum. :)

post-14-1065172600.gif

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

To some people, plenum systems are 'old school'.

While plenums are good for nitrate control, so would a DSB.

The only problem is that a plenum takes a bit more space than a DSB coz you need at least 2 inch for a plenum, then the plate, then the sandbed, then a screening to prevent gobies or other sand-digging creatures from disturbing the plenum.... all for the same benefits as a simple DSB?!

I have heard stories where tanks crash due to the plenum plate breaking.

Also plenums are also known to become nutrient sinks... :o

I dunno... but I have evaluated the plenum system for my new tank but I think its not worth the effort, time or the risk.

• SRC Member

Julian Sprung recently published an article on plenum and NNR on Advanced Aquarist magazine. He feels that it is not inferior to DSB and possible superior to DSB. He goes on to debunk the myth of nutrient sink theory. Perhaps it's just a different form of the same thing.

DSB works, plenums do too. My point is, why use a compromised DSB when you can have a proper plenum system.

DSB is at least 4" preferably 6". My plenum and sand is a total of 6". Not much difference there.

Although beach sand can be used for DSB if it is Silicon dioxide quartz sand, it's feldspar that leaches silcates into the water resulting in diatom blooms, but unless the content of feldspar is know, I won't try it!

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

Yeah I read that article before. It did give me a little more confidence in Monaco systems... but again.. there are too many horror stories of those who didn't work.

That's the wonderful part of this hobby... a lot of theories that work.

For me... I believe in hybrid adaptations which will give us the best of all worlds...

You can check out my Reef Project thread to see which route I finally go! ;)

• SRC Member
Yeah I read that article before. It did give me a little more confidence in Monaco systems... but again.. there are too many horror stories of those who didn't work.

That's the wonderful part of this hobby... a lot of theories that work.

For me... I believe in hybrid adaptations which will give us the best of all worlds...

You can check out my Reef Project thread to see which route I finally go! ;)

I think DSBs might be just as or even more dangerous than plenums. Sometimes the sand on the top surface with crust if it is not totally stirred regularly by animals and the sand below will become completely anaerobic. Then if it is cracked or disturbed, the toxic substances trapped inside will be released.

The old school, new school thing is probably just the current fad... ;)

• SRC Member

The clumping issue is real and I get it often in my tank without any ill effects. I use a calcium reactor and also kalkwasser as top up water. Size 1 or 2 sand when clumped forms a sand cake that is porous. I took one saucer size piece out and poured water through it. Water can trickle pass the sand grains easily. It will behave close to life rock in terms of bilogical filtration.

If sugar sized sand were to clump then I think you will get a less porous, more compact piece of cement because the gaps between grains are smaller.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

#1 and #2 grde of coral sand are hard to find... [Or am I just missing out some some LFS??]

I asked ard 3-4 shops, and they say, these days min is #3........

For now, I only know of Petmart and Pet provision selling #1 coral sand...

Can someone pls enlighten me on some more LFS where I can get marine stuff?? I new to this "underwater world"

Thank you :D

• SRC Member
ZeRoC00l,

you can try Pacific Marine Aquaria at Polt 32 No 1Lorong Halus (Pasir Ris Dr 12), Loyang Agrotech Park S 510000 Tel :6386 0060 I got my from there.

Thanks

got 4 10kg bags wach $6 at Petmart. Is it cheap?? :huh:

Now have 5" DSB in slump, and abt 1" in main tank....

just started cycling.....

Thanks ppl :lol:

• SRC Member

$8.50 as compared with $6.. goodness.. i can save a plate of chicken rice with every bag of gravel i buy from aquamart.. goodness!!! :o

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member
Where is Petmart btw? Heard its near Rainbow but never gone there before. Serangoon?

yes.. it is located beside rainbow.. and it is at serangoon north..

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.