Anyone kept Multibarred Pygmy Angel

I'm currently only keeping a Venustus and a Joculator. Both of them in a 5ft tank with some sponges and LR. As mentioned b4 the venustus suddenly stop feeding and it's now surviving by pecking on the rocks.

I use to keep a small africanus (jux sold recently), and it's a real easy and beautiful fish. Other big angels i've kept before are goldflakes (v easy), vietnam blueline (easy) and medan regal (v difficult and perish eventually). I feed mixture of ocean nutrition flake food, frozen mysis soak in garlic and selcon, ocean nutrition frozen angel formula and julian sprung seaweed. I dun use pellets as realise some fishes jux dislike pellets.

For 3 ft tank i suggest keeping 3~4 dwarfs introduce at around the same time and maybe jux 1 big angel (get the smaller genus or start w a s/m size ). Good quality LR will contain some natural sponge for pecking.

There are other angels recently seen in stock that u can consider also, which in my opinion are all nicer than flagfin/poma/singapore angels:

1.Small majestic and blue face (Ah Beng)

2.Small Chrysurus (SL and CF)

3.Small africanus (LCK)

Hope this opens u to more selection. P.S. QT your angels, beware of flukes and velvet which i regret not learning it earlier when i encounter them!

Thanks alot digiman, got a couple of more qns to ask pls share......

1. Sponges on live rocks are either black ones or white ones, will the angels peck on them? How about those nuisance green algae will angels peck on them too? How do you define good quality live rock cos the rocks i purchased are always covered in balck or grey sponges

2. Where can i find ocean nutrition frozen angel formula (Petmart?)

3. 1.Small majestic and blue face (Ah Beng) (Pacific Reef????)

2.Small Chrysurus (SL and CF) (SL???? and CF = Coral farm???)

3.Small africanus (LCK) (LCK????)

Sorry ah, care to also share the short form?

1. Sponges on live rocks are either black ones or white ones, will the angels peck on them? How about those nuisance green algae will angels peck on them too? How do you define good quality live rock cos the rocks i purchased are always covered in balck or grey sponges

Ans: Good quality LR are those that have a lot of growth and lifeforms on the rocks. Dwarf angels will peck on anything on the rocks, even algae, they will also peck on detritus sometimes. Big Angels will peck on the white sponges. They will also eat those ornamental sponges like blue and red sponge sold in the LFS.

2. Where can i find ocean nutrition frozen angel formula?

Ans: I bought mine from Aquamarin, not sure if petmart has it though. Follow this Link

Ans: SL=Sealife, CF=Coral Farm, Ah Beng=Pacific Reef(one of our sponsor here), LCK=LimChuKang (farm near CF, well not so near but in that area).

Ans: Good quality LR are those that have a lot of growth and lifeforms on the rocks. Dwarf angels will peck on anything on the rocks, even algae, they will also peck on detritus sometimes. Big Angels will peck on the white sponges. They will also eat those ornamental sponges like blue and red sponge sold in the LFS.

Ans: I bought mine from Aquamarin, not sure if petmart has it though. Follow this Link

Ans: SL=Sealife, CF=Coral Farm, Ah Beng=Pacific Reef(one of our sponsor here), LCK=LimChuKang (farm near CF, well not so near but in that area).

Ah i see thanks alot Digiman appreciate your tips, will ciao my fellow kaki go CF and LCK!

Sorry guys but is Multibarred angel considered as a pygmy angel?

Yes. It's under the genus paracentropyge, one of the dwarf family. Other 2 paracentropyges are venustus and boylei.

Wish u good luck on the multibar, it's beauty is too hard to resist despite it's almost 100% failure rate!

Yes. It's under the genus paracentropyge, one of the dwarf family. Other 2 paracentropyges are venustus and boylei.

Wish u good luck on the multibar, it's beauty is too hard to resist despite it's almost 100% failure rate!

Not really 100% failure... Maybe 99%.. There is 1% chance it will do very well.. The 100% failure is venustus, Will just stop eating suddenly.. <_< <_< <_<

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

Not really 100% failure... Maybe 99%.. There is 1% chance it will do very well.. The 100% failure is venustus, Will just stop eating suddenly.. <_< <_< <_<

Thats one sad sad thing, but do you guys usually wait like about a fews day or a week later to purchase the fishes? By then you'll know if its gonna make it. Or do LFS feed the fishes

Thats one sad sad thing, but do you guys usually wait like about a fews day or a week later to purchase the fishes? By then you'll know if its gonna make it. Or do LFS feed the fishes

Multibar and venustus are so attractive and inexpensive that ignorant reefers or many who's willing to take the risk will grab them immediately at sight. If not those not so healthy leftovers will normally perish in the LFS tank in less than a week. So normally if u dun buy the fish on the spot, they'll likely be gone in a few days time. LFS knowing these are difficult fishes will also not reserve for u becos they want to sell them asap to minimise any loss.

Multibar and venustus are so attractive and inexpensive that ignorant reefers or many who's willing to take the risk will grab them immediately at sight. If not those not so healthy leftovers will normally perish in the LFS tank in less than a week. So normally if u dun buy the fish on the spot, they'll likely be gone in a few days time. LFS knowing these are difficult fishes will also not reserve for u becos they want to sell them asap to minimise any loss.

Thats damm sad man, Multibarred inexpensive? Not sure about the Venustus The last i checked at a LFS it was going at $33 and thats was like 1 week later. Unless expensive is in 3 digit figure.

Hi digiman,

Bought a pack of Ocean Nutrition from Aquamarine but how does one feed angels with? its very different from the frozen brine shrimp, do i let it thaw till liquid then feed them or just throw the whole cube into the tank?

Hi digiman,

Bought a pack of Ocean Nutrition from Aquamarine but how does one feed angels with? its very different from the frozen brine shrimp, do i let it thaw till liquid then feed them or just throw the whole cube into the tank?

The cube contains gel binder so after u thaw, it'll turn soft but does not melt to liquid. U've got to crush and mash it using your fingers and feed it. How fine u crush it depends on how big your fishes are. The smaller the angels the finer u mash the cube.

ON sponge is a little different they will "melt" upon thaw. i have its semi thaw then use fingers to smash them up a little and throw it into the tank.

HTH

The cube contains gel binder so after u thaw, it'll turn soft but does not melt to liquid. U've got to crush and mash it using your fingers and feed it. How fine u crush it depends on how big your fishes are. The smaller the angels the finer u mash the cube.

Hey guys did a mixture with dwarf angel feed and some brine shrimp, my angel just took a bite and spit it out. Normal or will they take some time to get use to? Also before this they were eating brine shirmp happily.

Any advice?

Hey guys did a mixture with dwarf angel feed and some brine shrimp, my angel just took a bite and spit it out. Normal or will they take some time to get use to? Also before this they were eating brine shirmp happily.

Any advice?

They will take some time to get use to the dwarf angel feed. Start with small amt of ocean nutrition, mash it v v finely den intermittently feed a little as u feed brine or mysis. After a while they will den recognise the gel chunks as food.

They will take some time to get use to the dwarf angel feed. Start with small amt of ocean nutrition, mash it v v finely den intermittently feed a little as u feed brine or mysis. After a while they will den recognise the gel chunks as food.

Hey guys got a problem with my Pygmy Angel and Eibli Angel. Bought these 2 angels at the same time just that the Pygmy was qurantined for 1 day. Initial Pygmy chased the the Eibli around and now its the reverse. When will it stop? I've got ample live rocks. Will it onlu stop when one dies? :cry:

Also my uncle's Coral beauty isn't very welcomed in his tank as his PBT cornered that poor chap into surrender and his intending to give it to me. So how qurantine the coral beauty? :eyebrow:

Hey guys got a problem with my Pygmy Angel and Eibli Angel. Bought these 2 angels at the same time just that the Pygmy was qurantined for 1 day. Initial Pygmy chased the the Eibli around and now its the reverse. When will it stop? I've got ample live rocks. Will it onlu stop when one dies? :cry:

Also my uncle's Coral beauty isn't very welcomed in his tank as his PBT cornered that poor chap into surrender and his intending to give it to me. So how qurantine the coral beauty? :eyebrow:

Eibli is aggressive, so will most likely not stop chasing the pgymy angel. The poor smaller pgymy may get thinner and eventually perish.

Adding a coral beauty now may divert the attention of the eibli and give the pgymy a chance of survival and co-existence.

Eibli is aggressive, so will most likely not stop chasing the pgymy angel. The poor smaller pgymy may get thinner and eventually perish.

Adding a coral beauty now may divert the attention of the eibli and give the pgymy a chance of survival and co-existence.

I'm actually very surprised that the Eibli is aggressive, i guess i will try the coral beauty and place it in a betta box.

thanks

Hi Digiman,

Got this problem with the coral beauty, its rear fin and dorsal fins has some sort of rot or something bit off a small chunk, and saw some ich/white spots on its pectoral fin.

Its in my betta box and the thing is will the white spots/ich spread to the main tank? My yellow tail pygmy angel has abit of that.

If its ich any cure other than using copper base medication?

Hi Digiman,

Got this problem with the coral beauty, its rear fin and dorsal fins has some sort of rot or something bit off a small chunk, and saw some ich/white spots on its pectoral fin.

Its in my betta box and the thing is will the white spots/ich spread to the main tank? My yellow tail pygmy angel has abit of that.

If its ich any cure other than using copper base medication?

The first symptom sounds like fin rot, which is not very serious as it'll go away if water condition is good. However in cases where it doesn't, which i've encountered before in my barberfish, treat with melafix in a QT or jux a pail/styrofoam box(if u've no QT), very effective and the rot should disappear in a week. Although melafix is reefsafe and can be added to the main tank i'll suggest not to do so as the skimmer will have to shut down for quite some time (up to a month) due to over-foaming.

The second symptom maybe velvet or ich or it maybe be jux minor infection which will be gone by itself in a few days. How to tell? Time will tell, velvet and ich will spread to all fishes and all over the body and fishes will start dying in a few days (2 or 3 days for velvet and a bit longer for ich). Both velvet and ich can be successfully treated with cupramine which is not reefsafe so u've to do it in a QT or pail. Ich and velvet will spread to all fishes only and is highly contagious and fatal, so if one fish got it, all fishes go for the treatment. There are a lot of so called reefsafe treatments around for ich and velvet, but my experience is they are all expensive and useless against treating the problem but of course i shall not discourage u to try them as there are success stories in some of them. I only recommend cupramine (or any other copper treatment if u cant find cupramine) or hypo (but too tedious so i go for copper). Do a search in the disease forum here for cupramine and hypo discussions.

Two useful links: Link 1 and Link 2

looks like all my 3 angels can live in harmony

hope it will stay like this forever

will be adding a singapore angel soon

wish me luck :ph34r:

So what are your current 3 angels that you are keeping?

Saw many singapore angels at T95 you might wanna head down