DIY Magnetic stirrer

Thexder

• SRC Member

If you are like me who needs to mix additives to maintain Ca, Mg, Ph, Kh in your tank. You will know how difficult it is for some of the additives to dissolve in DI water. Of course you can just dump the additives in your sump but it can do more harm when the additives don't dissolve fast enough and lands on your corals.

I'm lazy to stand or sit around to stir the solution until it mixes completely, so I've decided to DIY a magnetic stirrer. This is used in labs to mix chemicals. Basically it has a magnet on a motor. There is a stirring bar in the container which is magnetised also. When the motor turns, the bar also turns by magnetic force thus mixing the solution in the container. Some of them also have a hot plate to heat the solution, but we don't need that for our purpose. Such units cost around $200 or more.

After checking other DIYs on magnetic stirrers, here are the basic parts you need:

1) Motor - Most people use the fan from a PC

2) Strong magnets - Most people strip the magnets from a dead hard disk

3) Stirring bar - Can buy or make your own from iron/magnet

4) 12VDC supply

• SRC Member

A trip down to Sim Lim Tower and I got the following:

Project box: To contain the fan, electronics, and also to support the container for mixing. This cost me $4.50 but you could get an unused Tupperware box from your home and its FOC. The box must be plastic (or non-metallic). If you use a metal box, the metal will interfere with the magnetic field and you won't get good results.

post-7211-1247215277.jpg

• SRC Member

12VDC fan for PC. I got this design because it has a good flat and unobstructed surface to attach the magnets. Otherwise the standard PC 3" fan will do. The cost was $8.80 but its FOC if you can get from a spare or dead PC.

post-7211-1247215448.jpg

• SRC Member

PWM speed control. The fan speed has to be controlled. If it spins too fast, the magnetic force is not strong enough to couple the stir bar to the fan. I opted for the PWM because its a more efficient way to control a DC motor but the cost is higher. This kit cost me $9.60. You can use a cheaper option by using a potentiometer to change the voltage to the fan directly (probably $2-$3).

post-7211-1247215700.jpg

• SRC Member

Magnets. You need quite a strong magnet to spin the stir bar, and HDD magnets are the easiest to get for the rare earth magnets. I got this pair from the junk shop on the top floor of SLT for $4. Its FOC if you have a dead HDD lying around...

post-7211-1247215851.jpg

• SRC Member

First we got to remove the magnet from the steel plate. They are normally glued on. I used a hammer and flat head screwdriver to remove them. If you whack too hard, the magnets might break. Just a few firm taps will do.

post-7211-1247216222.jpg

• SRC Member

Attach the magnets to the fan. You need to glue or stick them (I used 3M double sided tape) or they will fly off when the fan spins too fast. Also note that you need to find the right position to place them otherwise the rotation is not balanced and the fan will probably wear out very fast. 1 magnet is actually good enough.

post-7211-1247216373.jpg

• SRC Member

Ok, now to assemble the PWM speed control. Opened the package and damn... the instructions are in Thai :shock:

But just follow the circuit diagram which is self explanatory. Again if you are not confident in soldering or electronics, then better to use a simple solution with the potentiometer as the chances for making mistakes are lower. My circuit didn't work the first time because I soldered a diode in the wrong direction :paiseh:

post-7211-1247216675.jpg

• SRC Member

Fully assembled with the fan above the speed control PCB. I used wall plugs and PC spacers to raise the fan height. You need the magnet to be near the top surface. I added the LED to indicate power on. The switch is supposed to have a light when power on, but didn't seem to work or I don't know how to connect it <_<

As can be seen, I used 1 magnet which is sufficient.

post-7211-1247216972.jpg

• SRC Member

Testing with a small bar magnet as the stirring bar in a 100ml jar...

I'm now trying to DIY a stir bar. You can buy the commercial lab stir bars but I enquired and it costs like $10~$30 for 1 :whistle

Supposedly, a nail, metal wire or paper clip should work, but doesn't seem so in my case.

Will add more updates once I have a proper DIY stirring bar.

post-7211-1247217206.jpg

Nice... Thanks for sharing! ;)

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member

I found this shop called Practical Instruments located at Balestier Hills Shopping Centre which sells the magnetic stirring bars. $5 for a 1.5" stir bar. They have other sizes too. They sell laboratory instruments and consumbles so you can get other lab supplies also.

Anyway, I'm still trying to DIY a custom stir bar or plate for my other container which has an uneven bottom.

Thanks for your great idea!! :idea:

Today i hv done a simple one without the speed controller and box.

I am using the 12VDC adjustable voltage adapter for the 12V fan.

Also DIY a stirring bar.

Magneticstirrer.jpg

6V setting result.

6Vsetting.jpg

And video showing adjusted from 0V-->4.5V-->6V-->7.5V-->12V-->0V.

th_Magneticstirrer-1.jpg