just a thought from a girl

little-fishie

Hello all the bros and uncles out there!

I'm the gf of one of the reefers here.. have been reading this forum to help my bf lookout for updates on sales and getting to know more abt reefing cuz the tank started not long ago.

was just wondering, do your wives/gfs ever get pissed with your reefing hobbies?? :Phttp://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/style_images/1/folder_post_icons/icon9.gif

given the HUGE cost and time it takes to maintain the tank..http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/style_images/1/folder_post_icons/icon4.gif

actually i was sort of responsible for rousing my bf's interest in reefing, by telling him all abt my father's ex-tank haha. sometimes i wonder if i made a mistake =/

but i do think marine fishes n corals are super nice la. one thing i dont like abt keeping aquariums is the fact that fishes n corals die so easily, and i hate to see a living thing die because it cant adapt to new conditions.

oh wells! been following him around to LFS to buy livestocks, some of them is i choose and sponsor one haha~

so, just wanted to find out how other females feel abt this, and what happens when u guys go reservice??? wives/gfs take over??? http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/style_images/1/folder_post_icons/icon5.gif

- You'll Never Walk Alone -

*sharon`2.png

• SRC Member

Hi little-fishie,

Very nice of you to post. COs definitely complain once in a while. The trick is to keep your scales balanced. Attention is to be paid to both sides. Once the scale is tilted, one side will suffer or make you suffer (depending on which side tilts down if you know what I meant).

Regards to your question on cost, trying reading the following:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-04/tt/index.php

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-08/tt/index.php

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-11/tt/index.php

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-06/tt/index.php

Lastly, fish and corals DO NOT die very fast if taken cared off properly. In fact, they can grow and multiply too if conditions are right. Please research and take care of your livestock. It's not about money. They ARE living things and coral reefs are shrinking.

Cheers

I'm the gf of one of the reefers here.. have been reading this forum to help my bf lookout for updates on sales and getting to know more abt reefing cuz the tank started not long ago.

was just wondering, do your wives/gfs ever get pissed with your reefing hobbies?? :Phttp://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/style_images/1/folder_post_icons/icon9.gif

given the HUGE cost and time it takes to maintain the tank..http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/style_images/1/folder_post_icons/icon4.gif

actually i was sort of responsible for rousing my bf's interest in reefing, by telling him all abt my father's ex-tank haha. sometimes i wonder if i made a mistake =/

but i do think marine fishes n corals are super nice la. one thing i dont like abt keeping aquariums is the fact that fishes n corals die so easily, and i hate to see a living thing die because it cant adapt to new conditions.

oh wells! been following him around to LFS to buy livestocks, some of them is i choose and sponsor one haha~

so, just wanted to find out how other females feel abt this, and what happens when u guys go reservice??? wives/gfs take over??? http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/style_images/1/folder_post_icons/icon5.gif

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

Hi little-fishie,

Very nice of you to post. COs definitely complain once in a while. The trick is to keep your scales balanced. Attention is to be paid to both sides. Once the scale is tilted, one side will suffer.

Regards to your question on cost, trying reading the following:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-04/tt/index.php

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-08/tt/index.php

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-11/tt/index.php

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-06/tt/index.php

Lastly, fish and corals DO NOT die very fast if taken cared off properly. In fact, they can grow and multiply too if conditions are right. Please research and take care of your livestock. It's not about money. They ARE living things and coral reefs are shrinking.

Cheers

hahah yea but getting them to acclimate is so hard. mortality rate is high!!

and one thing that amuses me is how y'all can swarm to LFS when there is a shipment.. like wolves waiting to catch prey sia!! lol..

btw AM has SPS shipment, apparently its super crowded now. grab them while they're still available! :P:D

*sharon`2.png

hahah yea but getting them to acclimate is so hard. mortality rate is high!!

and one thing that amuses me is how y'all can swarm to LFS when there is a shipment.. like wolves waiting to catch prey sia!! lol..

btw AM has SPS shipment, apparently its super crowded now. grab them while they're still available! :P:D

Welcome to the forum, this is the right place which you should learn how to be a responsible reef keeper and how to take care of each of the precious live stocks / corals which you bought not mention about your pocket as well.

We should respect each live stocks which we bought taking it as the last we would have

some time it is a "guy" thingie which girls is difficult to understand, just like i cant understand why also my gf like to buy shoes wherever she go lol...

hmmm... when i was younger..... I neglected my gf becoz of this hobby. Remembered that once I had her waiting for me for 3 - 4hrs while I rescape the rocks...... thinking back, that was not right.

But i guess in younger days, guys tend to get obsessed easier. Just remember that it is not because he place the tank above you. It is just a passion and it is good to have a healthy hobby.

Better than gambling etc. The balance in maintaining the amount of time on the tank and spending with you will come.. take a little time. In the meanwhile, just be patient. My advise is to read up more about reefing too and enjoy the hobby with him. I think that is impt for a relationship to develope - to have common interest. but at the same time, do communicate with him your feelings, being feeling neglected etc - tell in a gentle tone - most guys will understand. Pls do not use a "reprimanding" tone. Learn how to get through this stage of communication cause you will need it alot after marriage - there will be things like gaming, billards, personal time, soccer, looking after babies...... just take it postively as a trial and enjoy the hobby and relationship together..... cheers!

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member

What works best for me is to make sure I give all my attention to my gf first. When she happy, I can happily go do my stuff in peace. :P

Of course at the end of the day, have to come out with some sort of balance. I think its cool that both your bf and yourself are keen in the hobby together! Remember to read up more, and maintain discipline when buying, feeding, cleaning. Happy reefing!

haha alright thanks for all the advice!

i guess reefing is fun after all, though it does get ABIT on my nerves when we got not enough money to go out :S

but luckily im not a very girly girl, so dont mind going to fish farms and helping to test water parameters!

and we have other common hobbies like watching soccer too :)

happie reefing to u guys as well!

*sharon`2.png

• SRC Member

I remember a friend's wife jokingly told us that she much preferred her husband uses all his allowances on his benign hobbies (my friend was into Gundam) than destructive hobbies like gambling, women, etc... LOL

Hope you and your squeeze enjoy more success in reefing. Research, research, and more research BEFORE buying. Use this forum. Ask questions. Start with easier species. Progress slowly. Be responsible hobbyists.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

I remember a friend's wife jokingly told us that she much preferred her husband uses all his allowances on his benign hobbies (my friend was into Gundam) than destructive hobbies like gambling, women, etc... LOL

Hope you and your squeeze enjoy more success in reefing. Research, research, and more research BEFORE buying. Use this forum. Ask questions. Start with easier species. Progress slowly. Be responsible hobbyists.

hahha this one u dont have to worry. my bf researches ALL the time. if you didn't noe him, you'd think he was a marine biologist!! :P

*sharon`2.png

• SRC Member

Well my mom does complains alot... :whistle

1ft cube with IOS [the low tech tank]

1. JBJ C-breeze to keep temp hovering around 27-28'C

2. LED clip on - 120 bulbs

-skimmer-less-

My 3 humble equipments that keeps my tank running... [DRIED OUT]

1. The RSM itself of course 2.My NEW Deltec MCE-300 Skimmer 3. My trusty Arctica Chiller

Tank parameters:

Temperature maintained at 25.3'C to 24.7'C

No3: 10ppm(b4 the use of the deltec skimmer)

No3: 5ppm (after use of the skimmer)

Others? too lazy to measure...LOL

Camera- EOS 50D

• SRC Member

My mum doesn't but if too much algae growing on rocks she's the one who nags at me to go clean up/do whatever thing to remove the algae :heh:

I saw some people their wife/GFs even went fishing together at Punggol End there.Or went to the fish farms together.I guess they understand their bf/hubby fully.

girlone.png

• SRC Member
Well my mom does complains alot... :whistle

haha you are right abt this

my mum also complains alot <_< haiz haha

:eyebrow:

Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.

Member of:
www.marineaquarist.sg

This is such an interesting thread.. I was knodding my head while reading through the posts. I always wonder why those keeping aquariums are more guys den gals. I pick up the hobby from my father (an avid freshwater tank hobbyist) and my mother is a typical female who has no interest in fishes/tanks but remains neutral to her son's and husband's obsessions. There is an old thread here i remember saying why there are more guys than girls keeping aquariums is because its a male's nature to dominate, control and conquer and they gain that satisfaction in keeping a fish tank. I dunno how true that is but i cant find strong reasons to disagree either. That one was an interesting thread also.

haha you are right abt this

my mum also complains alot <_< haiz haha

:eyebrow:

haha i didnt think mothers would complain also

:pinch:

glad u all found this interesting, maybe a little reminder to not neglect the girls around you ^_^

*sharon`2.png

Reef keeping holds no bound whether you are a girl or a boy.

It is about being a responsible person to keep such animals in good state of health.

Same like if you want to keep a dog or a cat, should feed it with nutritious food, clean it, good shelter to keep it away from the elements.

But of course, if GF/BF share common interest, it would be more fun.

Member of :
post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F

MASS in Facebook

Reefing in LED

• SRC Member
haha i didnt think mothers would complain also

:pinch:

glad u all found this interesting, maybe a little reminder to not neglect the girls around you ^_^

Moms complain abt their "precious" floor that they clean... :upsidedown:

-skimmer-less-

1. The RSM itself of course 2.My NEW Deltec MCE-300 Skimmer 3. My trusty Arctica Chiller

Tank parameters:

Camera- EOS 50D

• SRC Member
Reef keeping holds no bound whether you are a girl or a boy.

It is about being a responsible person to keep such animals in good state of health.

Same like if you want to keep a dog or a cat, should feed it with nutritious food, clean it, good shelter to keep it away from the elements.

But of course, if GF/BF share common interest, it would be more fun.

I agree with ur last part bro

its quite tough to find a partner whom actually shares the same hobby we are in haha

so those who found damn lucky

bro Vlamingi _cont I agree with ur part also when anything spills thats the end of ur good mood

cause ur mum keep nagging abt the floor haha :eyebrow:<_<

Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.

Member of:
www.marineaquarist.sg

Moms complain abt their "precious" floor that they clean... :upsidedown:

yeah must really take care of the flr. my 6 footer left some stains on the marble flooring. luckily i did not decom it before i sell it out. Else price will be lower again.

take care not to wet that area. Else if you move your tank, it will be pretty unsightly in future.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member
I agree with ur last part bro

its quite tough to find a partner whom actually shares the same hobby we are in haha

so those who found damn lucky

bro Vlamingi _cont I agree with ur part also when anything spills thats the end of ur good mood

cause ur mum keep nagging abt the floor haha :eyebrow:<_<

And spilling skimmate on floor will definitely be a NO NO... However still survived the scolding the other day... :lol:

-skimmer-less-

Tank parameters:

Camera- EOS 50D