Nitrate for CLams??!

shiok

• SRC Member

Clam do consume nitrate. But you need quite alot to remove all the nitrate in our system. So can say that it compliment other nitrate removal (DSB/denitrator etc).

The clam itself do not consume the nitrate but the alage in it does (the one that give the color). It consume light and nitrate and inturn produced food for the clam.

going by that reasoning..we should all stock up on photosynthetic corals so that nitrate reduction is significant from the symbiotic algae in the corals.... :idea:

does the greenies count..? they are "ugly", but does the job nicely..!!

haha..!! some use in their refugium.. ! :lol:

• SRC Member

Why not forget the DSB and go for a CLAM SAND BED!!! look much better also!!! hiak hiak hiak...... but burn a hole you your overdraft!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Anyway thats what I have read in a few articles on the net. Hmm.... if like that maybe can forget the live rock too and just buy LOTSA CORALS!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::evil::evil:

• SRC Member
Any good and cheap photosynthetic corals o recommend? Maybe this weekend go and import a whole lot of them :D

yes yes... :rolleyes: can recommend some pls?? me now have 4 pcs of clams in my small tank...

btw can any1 tells me how many clams can be in a 2feet tank? i have 2 crocea and 2 maxis now, the crocea is abt 3" and 3.5" and the maxis is 1.5"each. the bioload for clam should be lower than fishes right?

• SRC Member
2 feet only?

hmm put as much as u can put in lol...

one question.. wad lighting u using?

2 T5 14W WHITE & 1 T5 14W BLUE...

THINK OF CHANGING THE BLUE T5 INTO WHITE T5 AND SUBSITUTE THE BLUE T5 WITH THOSE MOONLIGHT (LED TYPE) OF LIGHT, CAN SOME1 CONFIRM IF THIS IS FEASIBLE??

:bow::thanks: