Deciding which DSLR to go

LaW

• SRC Member

Hi reefers,

im intending to get a DSLR and im currently stuck between a nikon D90 and D5000.

anyone have experience with it? i heard they are about the same interms of build, but how bout picture quality wise?

any other brands and model input are welcome but of course, my budget doesnt allow me to go for higher end models.

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

• SRC Member

Canon 5D mark 2. Why, because I'm a Canon fan.

It really depends on your own requirement and budget.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

Hi LaW

Suggest you go down and physically handle the cameras.

My hand are of smaller build so the canon EOS fit better into my palm.

Check out the weight of the camera body too.

Both Nikon and Canon are good buys with lots of lens options.

Happy shopping.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member

Since I'm a nikon fan, I say nikon d90 :)

But let's not do the canon vs. nikon war here. the best is really to handle the various cameras and see which brand/model you prefer. When I was considering whether to go nikon or canon quite sometime back, I researched online on which camera is better, specs better blah blah. Doesn't really matter, at the end of the day, I had to be comfortable handling it, and comfortable lugging it ard when I'm out, on holiday etc.

Then again, as guys we are 'specs' driven, so I say d90 is a good compromise btw price, quality and handling. Small enough to pick up on the go, good enough to take those high iso shots/video when I need to, and moderately priced so you can save the $$ n buy some awesom australian acans :P It gives you enough compatibility options in terms of the whole nikon lens range, and prob have enough functions within the camera to last you at least 1-2 years if you do intend to go pro, and switch to full frame. (tt's a big plus btw)

Hi Bro Law, me also thinking to get DSLR. For D90 vs 5000D, D90 is of the higher range and having good review. For nikon 5000D , you can compare to canon 500D, both are entry level DSLR and almost the same spec. For canon, it is made in japan whereas nikon lower end model made in thailand. After much research, i am towards canon due to the lens are universal. For Nikon, depending on the models, must use specific series lens....for third party lens, some functions dont work like the auto focus, etc. u can go 3 places to get quote, alan photo, MS photo and cathay photo. Maybe you want o go clubsnap to read more before deciding. Cheers and all the best.

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

• SRC Member
Hi Bro Law, me also thinking to get DSLR. For D90 vs 5000D, D90 is of the higher range and having good review. For nikon 5000D , you can compare to canon 500D, both are entry level DSLR and almost the same spec. For canon, it is made in japan whereas nikon lower end model made in thailand. After much research, i am towards canon due to the lens are universal. For Nikon, depending on the models, must use specific series lens....for third party lens, some functions dont work like the auto focus, etc. u can go 3 places to get quote, alan photo, MS photo and cathay photo. Maybe you want o go clubsnap to read more before deciding. Cheers and all the best.

errm just to nitpick, the D90 has no compatibility issues with lens. D5000 is indeed limited as it has no internal focusing motor. To go even further, the Nikon camp is alway proud of it's backward compatibility of lenses with modern dslr bodies. For example, your father's 30 year old nikon lens sitting in the drybox can technically work perfectly on a new d90. I won't go into specifics here, but can easily find the info online.

Clubsnap is a good place to do research :) all the pros there

• SRC Member
i'll go for canon too.

actually why do u go for nikon?

there are 2 reasons for it.

1 is because most of my camera geeks friends are nikon user, so i can borrow their lenses if theres a need.

and 2nd which is kind of dumb and most important is that owning a nikon SLR was a dream when i was a kid. :paiseh: i always have the urge to forfill these kind of childhood dreams which also another reason why i have a salty tank

hopefully a ferrari, roll royce, yacht and a pet horse is not too far away from that childhood dream too :lol:

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

• SRC Member
Hi LaW

Suggest you go down and physically handle the cameras.

My hand are of smaller build so the canon EOS fit better into my palm.

Check out the weight of the camera body too.

Both Nikon and Canon are good buys with lots of lens options.

Happy shopping.

hi jacky, thanks for your input. i checked the feel of it and actually prefer D5000 weight, smaller body and rotation-enable screen. while D90 feel is still ok but D90's function and both D90's LCD display is a drooling wants for me and i want something that is more of future-proof so thats why gives me so much headaches over these 2 models.

and thank you fred, iskay and comycus for the enlightenment. the motor in D90 is a good to have too. i already camped in clubsnap for a while but still couldnt decide :(

if money not an issue, think you should just go for D90.

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

• SRC Member
hi jacky, thanks for your input. i checked the feel of it and actually prefer D5000 weight, smaller body and rotation-enable screen. while D90 feel is still ok but D90's function and both D90's LCD display is a drooling wants for me and i want something that is more of future-proof so thats why gives me so much headaches over these 2 models.

and thank you fred, iskay and comycus for the enlightenment. the motor in D90 is a good to have too. i already camped in clubsnap for a while but still couldnt decide :(

Sounds like you have done your research bro, time to take the plunge! :eyebrow:

Take into acct the weight of lens when mounted on the body and you will feel more comfortable with D90. The d5000 will always be in an awkward resting position when you sling it on yourself.

Choosing a DSLR is quite difficult if you do not know what you want to do with it. If just snapping picture in the view finder, might as well get a P&S camera, thus solve all the hassle. If you know how to operate the DSLR, know its advanced features, framing and composition, then DSLR is a way to go. DSLR with good lens will normally give better image, better colours than the P&S.

IMO, if you want to buy nikon DSLR, get the D90 rather than D5000.

Member of :
post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F

MASS in Facebook

Reefing in LED

Choosing a DSLR is quite difficult if you do not know what you want to do with it. If just snapping picture in the view finder, might as well get a P&S camera, thus solve all the hassle.

A bit disagree.... the performance of a P&S cannot be compared to a DSLR (even if you use the DSLR as a P&S camera).

I am one of those user ... hehe

D90 has my vote too.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

• SRC Member
A bit disagree.... the performance of a P&S cannot be compared to a DSLR (even if you use the DSLR as a P&S camera).

I am one of those user ... hehe

D90 has my vote too.

I think the compact camera has come a long way. P&S technology has improved greatly over the years, and can perform well under demanding situations. As always, the photographer's skill determines the quality of the shot, not so much the camera. Of course, it doesn't hurt to have a 'better' camera for not so pro ppl like us. There are many times that I enjoy using my P&S, and the quality of photos that come out are equally stunning. There are other times when I go trigger happy with my dslr, and the photos that come out are nothing to look at.

I think the compact camera has come a long way. P&S technology has improved greatly over the years, and can perform well under demanding situations. As always, the photographer's skill determines the quality of the shot, not so much the camera. Of course, it doesn't hurt to have a 'better' camera for not so pro ppl like us. There are many times that I enjoy using my P&S, and the quality of photos that come out are equally stunning. There are other times when I go trigger happy with my dslr, and the photos that come out are nothing to look at.

Depends on what you are taking. For moving object, DSLR is way better.

I take more of portraits... so in that aspect, DSLR is able to capture that instant moment (especially if your model is a 3 month old girl).

DSLR with 50mm lens also gives more depth of field so making the object stand out more.

If you have an external flash, you can bounce it off the ceiling without over-exposing the object.

you can also take up to 6fps with DSLR.

hmmm for static shots, scenes .... yeah P&S are ok.

• SRC Member

thank you freddy, jacky, rocky and comycus.

i think i had made up my mind, a D90 it shall be. thanks! really appreciates it

I'm not fan of any and I'm also camera idiot but would like to know out of curiosity...why nobody recommends Sony DSLR instead :rolleyes: ?

Price Ex or quality no good :whistle ?

post-1182-049500100201281969137_thumb.gi

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do. - Goethe

• SRC Member
I'm not fan of any and I'm also camera idiot but would like to know out of curiosity...why nobody recommends Sony DSLR instead :rolleyes: ?

Price Ex or quality no good :whistle ?

To me, nothing wrong with sony, just that it is a new entrant to the market so brand name not as strong, lens lineup and third party lens not well established, so not so popular.

• SRC Member
Hi reefers,

im intending to get a DSLR and im currently stuck between a nikon D90 and D5000.

anyone have experience with it? i heard they are about the same interms of build, but how bout picture quality wise?

any other brands and model input are welcome but of course, my budget doesnt allow me to go for higher end models.

Hey bro... Hope this link helps...D 5000

and D 90... And if u decide on Canon why not the 7D its new and cheaper than 5 D mk2... :eyebrow:

1ft cube with IOS [the low tech tank]

1. JBJ C-breeze to keep temp hovering around 27-28'C

2. LED clip on - 120 bulbs

-skimmer-less-

My 3 humble equipments that keeps my tank running... [DRIED OUT]

1. The RSM itself of course 2.My NEW Deltec MCE-300 Skimmer 3. My trusty Arctica Chiller

Tank parameters:

Temperature maintained at 25.3'C to 24.7'C

No3: 10ppm(b4 the use of the deltec skimmer)

No3: 5ppm (after use of the skimmer)

Others? too lazy to measure...LOL

Camera- EOS 50D

and D 90... And if u decide on Canon why not the 7D its new and cheaper than 5 D mk2... :eyebrow:

Cannot compare 7D and 5DMkII. Different league, so price is definitely different.

But good to have both. 5D as main camera and 7D as spare.

Member of :

MASS in Facebook

Reefing in LED

Depends on what you are taking. For moving object, DSLR is way better.

I take more of portraits... so in that aspect, DSLR is able to capture that instant moment (especially if your model is a 3 month old girl).

DSLR with 50mm lens also gives more depth of field so making the object stand out more.

If you have an external flash, you can bounce it off the ceiling without over-exposing the object.

you can also take up to 6fps with DSLR.

hmmm for static shots, scenes .... yeah P&S are ok.

If you want better depth of field, should use 85mm or better still, 135mm prime.

Member of :

MASS in Facebook

Reefing in LED

• SRC Member

thanks Douglas :)

• SRC Member
thanks Douglas :)

Hehe no prob... should u get a nikon D90 pls tell me abt the performance thanks :eyebrow:

1ft cube with IOS [the low tech tank]

1. JBJ C-breeze to keep temp hovering around 27-28'C

2. LED clip on - 120 bulbs

-skimmer-less-

My 3 humble equipments that keeps my tank running... [DRIED OUT]

1. The RSM itself of course 2.My NEW Deltec MCE-300 Skimmer 3. My trusty Arctica Chiller

Tank parameters:

Temperature maintained at 25.3'C to 24.7'C

No3: 10ppm(b4 the use of the deltec skimmer)

No3: 5ppm (after use of the skimmer)

Others? too lazy to measure...LOL

Camera- EOS 50D

• SRC Member
Hehe no prob... should u get a nikon D90 pls tell me abt the performance thanks :eyebrow:

sure i will, this week will be it. hehe. cant wait. what are u using currently?