My 1.5 ft Reef log

jackywongto

• SRC Member

I wouldn't mind rescaping if I had the time to, especially since yours is a nano. But if real estate is expensive in your tank and your sandbed commands extra premium, then bye bye jawfish. There are plenty of other pretty fishes out there tt u can get w/o the headache.

Went over jacky's palce to get a prizm skimmer from him ytd.very nice tank and yes the jawfish is realli naughter spitting sand all over his corals =/ but yr jawfish realli is a gd looker..well like everyone says..pros and cons..

i have a oxpora on the bed of my tank,if i had a jawfish i figure it would do the same oso..alamak..

Oh ya and i spotted her cute and shy daughter too before she went into hiding in her room ..hee ^_^

untitled.jpg

a noobie reefer...

Hi all

Thanks for the suggestions.

I try to provide each fish with the best environment after I purchase them.

I know this fella burrow but not to this level. He doesn't stop at one hideout.

After he has secured one, he goes on to look for a new spot and starts burrowing again.

he has 3 spots now and he might be looking for more.

My sandbed has a high turnover though. so no algae.

Thought of getting rid of it but it has such a character and is a beautiful fish.

Will definitely regret it in future if I rid of it now.

still thinking... thinking.....

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member

ok I did some reading up on jawfish... he could be burrowing everywhere coz your sand's not deep enough.

Apparantly they need a minimum of 3-4 inches of sand along with rock rubble and shells to construct a burrow. The rock rubble and shells are presumably to reinforce the burrow so it doesn't collapse. With your shallow sandbed, maybe it's simply just not happy/secured with its current home, so migrates elsewhere.

If you intend to keep it, might need to add more sand in one corner or something. Maybe even add in pvc pipes hidden into the sand. This method has worked for some ppl, and once it's settled in, you wouldn't even notice the pipe.

ok I did some reading up on jawfish... he could be burrowing everywhere coz your sand's not deep enough.

Apparantly they need a minimum of 3-4 inches of sand along with rock rubble and shells to construct a burrow. The rock rubble and shells are presumably to reinforce the burrow so it doesn't collapse. With your shallow sandbed, maybe it's simply just not happy/secured with its current home, so migrates elsewhere.

If you intend to keep it, might need to add more sand in one corner or something. Maybe even add in pvc pipes hidden into the sand. This method has worked for some ppl, and once it's settled in, you wouldn't even notice the pipe.

hmmmm ok thanks for the heads up.

I think it is the collapsing part.

He already has a corner with 3 -4 inch of sands.

let me get him a pipe.

thanks !

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

so most of you guys prob know this by now.

My jawfish is already with a friendly reefer. Hope he does well there.

Now that he is gone, I can relocate my yumas tomorrow to anywhere in the tank tml.

Here's some pics of my old and new yumas - Thanks to Lorenzo, Terry & friend for getting them for me.

These photos are taken with tank lights off since 7pm so dun expect too much.

But I think I am getting better with my cam :)

I really need to get my tripod out. hehe.

The 1st 2 yumas were 75% covered with sand when I got back today. (thanks to mr Pearly). Luckily they are ok.

Love the purple and pink shade.

My yumas garden.

Sunburst from ML. still ever so small. Think it will nvr enlarge. This is the max size?

The rics really does not seem to be doing well. :(

Very sad. still keeping finger crossed.

Another photo taken with lights off :)

If anyone wanna let go of their rics, please let me know.

wanna set up a rics garden.

Bro how's your LEDs? Managed to fix them yet?

Fans still with Razali. whahaha....

going to get them sometime this week.

question:

If I see yuma spitting out black substance from their mouth, does that mean they are stressed? or issit just poop?

• SRC Member
question:

If I see yuma spitting out black substance from their mouth, does that mean they are stressed? or issit just poop?

I didn't know yumas can spit out black stuff... as far as I know, I've never seen mine done tt. And I've pretty much subjected mine to pretty extreme stress... :paiseh:

Then again I seldom monitor my tank nowadays... maybe missing out such stuff.

• Senior Reefer
question:

could be releasing zooxanthellae. which signifies bleaching. could also be expelling waste, which means is normal. just monitor for the next few days. yumas are hardy.

thanks Comy, Lemon,

My guess is that it was just pooping. I seem to have a thing with catching my corals in the act.

The other day, I just saw my Tuxedo urchin poo.

It was white little pellets that drop out from time to time from its center mouth.

really cute.

• SRC Member
thanks Comy, Lemon,

My guess is that it was just pooping. I seem to have a thing with catching my corals in the act.

The other day, I just saw my Tuxedo urchin poo.

It was white little pellets that drop out from time to time from its center mouth.

really cute.

coco worm also... <_<

A man with a reef tank is a man with an empty wallet...

coco worm also... <_<

for the record - list of LS caught in the act

coco

clam

tuxedo urchin

yumas

lol

itchy backside......

went to do an entire rescape coz my 1st scape had the rocks learning against the back wall and there are a couple of dead spots.

Denitrius was also visible on the sandbed behind.

just hope the corals and fishes survive the chaos.

• SRC Member
itchy backside......

went to do an entire rescape coz my 1st scape had the rocks learning against the back wall and there are a couple of dead spots.

Denitrius was also visible on the sandbed behind.

just hope the corals and fishes survive the chaos.

i usually rescape with semi water change and was never a problem...

lets have some rescape picsssssss

Brown SPS > Kinder Surprise

White SPS = Kinder Surprise after expiry date

Assumption killed the dinosaurs, they didnt have test kits.

i usually rescape with semi water change and was never a problem...

lets have some rescape picsssssss

I think I did close to 20% WC after the rescape.

Used quite a lot of epoxy :(

Tank still in a mess coz I am going to epoxy a second round once this one dried up tml morning.

find that the new scape is not as nice but what the heck.

I feel good as long as it is better or the LS in it.

will post pic tml nite after the tank settles.

• SRC Member
I think I did close to 20% WC after the rescape.

Used quite a lot of epoxy :(

Tank still in a mess coz I am going to epoxy a second round once this one dried up tml morning.

find that the new scape is not as nice but what the heck.

I feel good as long as it is better or the LS in it.

will post pic tml nite after the tank settles.

how many tubes u used?

i am about to do mine too.. i can estimate my needed amount from yours since mines 2ft cube

Brown SPS > Kinder Surprise

White SPS = Kinder Surprise after expiry date

Assumption killed the dinosaurs, they didnt have test kits.

how many tubes u used?

i am about to do mine too.. i can estimate my needed amount from yours since mines 2ft cube

I am only epoxying about 4 rocks.

used about 30% already.

The next round will reckon about another 30% cause I am dangling a plateau with just 1 leg support.