Powerful 7.6-magnitude quake strikes Indonesia

comycus

• SRC Member

PADANG, Indonesia, Sept 30 (Reuters) - A strong earthquake of magnitude 7.9 struck off the city of Padang on the coast of Indonesia's Sumatra island on Wednesday, damaging houses, bringing down bridges and starting fires, a witness said.

The quake was felt around the region, with some high-rise buildings in the neighbouring city state of Singapore, 275 miles (440 km) away, evacuating their staff.

A regional tsunami warning was issued, the Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre and Japan's meterological agency said. It was unclear if there were any casualties.

"Hundreds of houses have been damaged along the road. There are some fires, bridges are cut and there is extreme panic here maybe because water pipes are broken and there is flooding in the streets," said a Reuters witness in the city.

Phone lines were down.

The depth of the tsunami was measured at 85 km, the United States Geological Survey said.

Indonesia is situated in a belt of intense seismic activity known as the "Pacific Ring of Fire". The U.S. Geological Survey put the magnitude of the quake at 7.9.

• SRC Member
those working in changi business park were evacuated...

wah so suay...

When I was schooling, used to think it was good to have such stuff so lessons get cut short. Now, such stuff are a mild distraction to my work... :lol:

These days, always kena so much of such stuff. The haze today also quite bad... later leave office have to :ph34r: le

• SRC Member

Tank was like operating with tunze wave box :blink: and i'm staying at high rise building mind u... Pretty scary but not as afraid as the 1st time last yr... :upsidedown:

1ft cube with IOS [the low tech tank]

1. JBJ C-breeze to keep temp hovering around 27-28'C

2. LED clip on - 120 bulbs

-skimmer-less-

My 3 humble equipments that keeps my tank running... [DRIED OUT]

1. The RSM itself of course 2.My NEW Deltec MCE-300 Skimmer 3. My trusty Arctica Chiller

Tank parameters:

Temperature maintained at 25.3'C to 24.7'C

No3: 10ppm(b4 the use of the deltec skimmer)

No3: 5ppm (after use of the skimmer)

Others? too lazy to measure...LOL

Camera- EOS 50D

• SRC Member

Just now at about 6.15pm, while switching on my laptop at home, I felt very giddy and I felt the swaying while sitting on my computer chair and when I turned and looked at the water level in my fish tank - it was moving up and down - I then know that somewhere there is an earthquake. I felt the swaying for about 1 minute before it stopped.

• SRC Member

I felt my block was shaking at around 6+.I see the fish tank water was also swaying to and fro.It's very strong and lasted quite long too.

girlone.png

• SRC Member
  • SRC Member

when the vibrations happened, i was driving..

i thought my car was about to "die"...

but it was wierd cos i had my clutch all the way down and it was still vibrating...

then my gf told me its earthquick :blink:

My Decomissioned 2ft Cube: (31st March 2011)

Carpe Diem~!!!

My Current 4ft X 2ft X 2ft:

• SRC Member
any1 see the news? if everyday like that, tunze wavebox and wavemaker dont need buy liao, the fresh water tank on the news is totally like natural wave.

super nice but DANGEROUS!

wah i saw it, was tsunami in the tank!!! I wonder if the same thing was happening in mine... *shudders*

:( Sigh !!!...looks like there will be no FIJI/VANUATU & PADANG shipments for the next few months liao. :erm:

THere's a 7.9 earthquake and you are more worried about the shipments??? faint faint :huh:

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member
THere's a 7.9 earthquake and you are more worried about the shipments??? faint faint :huh:

tsk tsk...

but when he mentioned it, my heart also skipped a beat! :blush:

anyway the earthquake was revised downwards to 7.6 from preliminary readings. No matter the measurements, it still is a disaster of vast magnitude. Let's take our minds away from the possible shipment delays and spend a min of prayer for all affected.

tsk tsk...

but when he mentioned it, my heart also skipped a beat! :blush:

anyway the earthquake was revised downwards to 7.6 from preliminary readings. No matter the measurements, it still is a disaster of vast magnitude. Let's take our minds away from the possible shipment delays and spend a min of prayer for all affected.

They have cancelled the Tsunami warning. Hope it stays that well and no further aftermath.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member

• SRC Member

Part of media release by SPF:

The SCDF advises the public that should they experience any tremors, the procedures to follow are:- .

Be calm

If you are inside a building -

i) Take cover under a table

ii) Keep away from items made of glass or any hanging object

iii) Do not use the lift

iv) Do not use any ###### light, in case there is a gas leak

If you are out in the open, stay there.

After vibrations have stopped -

i) Stay away from any exposed electrical cables, hanging glass objects

ii) Report any gas leakage

iii) Help the injured, call SCDF if the injuries are significant

iv) Report any incidents or issues of law and order to Police

TAKE COVER UNDER A TABLE!!?? you got to be kidding me...