Kikobananas Marine Tank

pokmingsheng

Bro, auntie usually has a chopper (kinda rusty by now) and a hammer near the packing counter. You can borrow it the next time to do your own fragging on the spot. Place the blade on the rock, swing down with the hammer on top of the blade, ta da!

LOL... Or you can find those big chisel at home, just take hammer and whack the chisel, the rock should crack... And use a penknife to cut the zoas matting according to the crack line...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• Senior Reefer

wow thanks lemon..

even typing "super sun coral" on google doesnt give me much information..

i also wanted to find out why this species of sun had been banned from coming to our shores..

do you happen to know the reason as well?

you should write a book one day,

i'm serious.. lol..

yea..

trying to get it to feed on mysis..

currently still on pods...

not sure how long can it last...

like to see it swim..

slow and peaceful..

that's why i hate common names. like "super sun coral". the name super sun is given locally coz the sun looks superior and bigger than the normal sun. hence the "super"... it's a made up name. no such thing. like how you type prata coral and there will also show no results..

banning of supersun is not true. i don't know where you heard that from but it's not true. even if it is, it will be all over reef builders and glass box design.

as for mysis, i got both my pipes feeding on mysis. must feed very very small pieces but it's very difficult anyway.

write a book? lol cannot lah! please. all my knowledge is from reading and learning from everywhere. unless i discover something new or go on my own adventure, all this is just from self learning and for now, its just sharing with who ever is interested to learn.

what i know is whatever that can be found on internet, books, etc. you wan to know also can. nothing exclusive.

• Senior Reefer

nice catch on the pipes. I used to have a few of them. Must have pods. Mysis.. IMHO, very tough.

Side track a little...

Lemon, balanoxxxx... It's the same as those u IDed for me previously yah? (still surviving)

yes the one i ID-ed for you previously is Balanophyllia. it's still surviving? that's nice to hear! hope you can restore it to it's former glory and then you can see why they claim superiority over all the sun corals.

my fav is Dendrophyllia ramea (L). if i'm not wrong, it's from somewhere in the Atlantic. forgot the exact location. It's like a cross between sun coral and duncans. the skeletal structure is exactly like duncans. but its non photosynthetic like suns. stem is orange, polyps are snow white.

What's more, it's founded by the king of taxonomy, Carl Linneus. That's why there's an (L) beside it's scientific name. just some biology, Carl Linneus invented the scientific naming system! He's one of my big bio idols and hence all species that was founded by him, has an L there as a mark of, well... i don't know... he invented the system.

back to my D. ramea, can forget about obtaining it here. too rare. Unless one day we find one from some exotic atlantic shipment.

OK ok dun OT here liao. sry kiko! hehe

post-15755-062223400 1281628449_thumb.jp

post-15755-079104500 1281628468_thumb.jp

Yup. Both colonies are surviving. Not much improvement though. Cos I have not been feeding regularly.

Been concentrating on sps. Will share pix when I take them.

Btw kiko bro, thanks for the frags. Hope u like those I passed u.

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

Your mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open.

Hmm kiko, how's the Ultra Life working for you? For your sun corals you could try Ultra Min D, nutrients meant for azooxanthellate corals. I put some at Iwarna, you can check it out. :)

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

Bro, auntie usually has a chopper (kinda rusty by now) and a hammer near the packing counter. You can borrow it the next time to do your own fragging on the spot. Place the blade on the rock, swing down with the hammer on top of the blade, ta da!

LOL... Or you can find those big chisel at home, just take hammer and whack the chisel, the rock should crack... And use a penknife to cut the zoas matting according to the crack line...

looks like i've to go purchase my own personal chopper.. lol..

dont want my own kitchen's chopper to be stained with "zoas juice" :sick:

My Decomissioned 2ft Cube: (31st March 2011)

Carpe Diem~!!!

My Current 4ft X 2ft X 2ft:

• SRC Member

banning of supersun is not true. i don't know where you heard that from but it's not true. even if it is, it will be all over reef builders and glass box design.

as for mysis, i got both my pipes feeding on mysis. must feed very very small pieces but it's very difficult anyway.

hmmm.. heard it from other reefers that steven from LCK said that this last batch would be one of the last...

as for my pipefish, disappeared... so i assumed gone.. :( no chance for me to try to train it to take mysis...

OK ok dun OT here liao. sry kiko! hehe

no worries man, although i'm trying very hard to understand what you guys are talking about :P

Btw kiko bro, thanks for the frags. Hope u like those I passed u.

yup... like the mushrooms.. thanks..

didnt expect that..

sorry had to rush off that day :)

currently on my frag rack until it grows bigger,

dont want it to "disappear" somewhere into my tank... haha...

Carpe Diem~!!!

• SRC Member

Hmm kiko, how's the Ultra Life working for you? For your sun corals you could try Ultra Min D, nutrients meant for azooxanthellate corals. I put some at Iwarna, you can check it out. :)

oh ok..

let me read up more about Ultra Min D...

actually i've not tried the ultra life :whistle

was quite busy with my other stuff...

my NO3 is quite high actually.. haha..

will try tonight dosing daily,

will monitor for results and update here again :)

Carpe Diem~!!!

oh ok..

Hmm..if your nutrient levels are quite high I would recommend going slow on bringing the nutrient levels down. Use 1/4 the recommended dosage and increase it to the recommended dosage over a couple of days.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

oh ok..

No need to dose daily... It is when you need it den you dose..

Member of:

• SRC Member

Hmm..if your nutrient levels are quite high I would recommend going slow on bringing the nutrient levels down. Use 1/4 the recommended dosage and increase it to the recommended dosage over a couple of days.

just to confirm,

normal dose = 100ml(1 teaspoon) for 400L

my tank volume is appx 200L...

so therefore my normal dose is (1/2 teaspoon)...

the instructions state to use four fold dose daily until nutrients fall,

so i guess i've to slowly increase my dosage to 2 teaspoons,

then i'll do it until nutrients fall?

Carpe Diem~!!!

• SRC Member

Put them under shade, dun need direct lighting. Hope u like the colours.

Just a small gesture of appreciation.

adds variety to my current "normal" collection of mushrooms..

something different :)

Carpe Diem~!!!

• SRC Member

Kiko that is a wonderful zoo collection.... :) sssooo prreeetttyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

i can't wait to start being onz again once everything is settled by end of the year...... :P

Cheers, ;)

Desi

Sheldon (TBBT): A little misunderstanding? Galileo and the Pope had a little misunderstanding...

• SRC Member

Kiko that is a wonderful zoo collection.... :) sssooo prreeetttyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

i can't wait to start being onz again once everything is settled by end of the year...... :P

thanks!

and by the start of next year both Ketchup and you will be chionging for every one of Reborn's shipments :lol:

Carpe Diem~!!!

i :wub: zoas..

just an update on my current mini collection of zoas...

post-16223-057949100 1281882904_thumb.jppost-16223-008463700 1281882918_thumb.jppost-16223-082608800 1281882926_thumb.jppost-16223-046661500 1281884341_thumb.jp

post-16223-009487000 1281883438_thumb.jppost-16223-060066400 1281883446_thumb.jppost-16223-045893600 1281883476_thumb.jp

post-16223-065441100 1281883484_thumb.jppost-16223-028623000 1281883492_thumb.jppost-16223-068299800 1281883499_thumb.jp

post-16223-025267500 1281883508_thumb.jppost-16223-038432200 1281883515_thumb.jp

post-16223-031524100 1281883528_thumb.jppost-16223-068516600 1281883771_thumb.jppost-16223-055619300 1281883779_thumb.jp

most of these zoas come from many wonderful reefers..

thanks guys, you know who you are :)

The more I look t your blue tub, the more I love it.. LOL..

Member of:

• SRC Member

nice collection of zoas man!!!!!

" The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out; the brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough. They are there to stop the other people! "

Randy Pausch, (The Last Lecture)

• SRC Member

The more I look t your blue tub, the more I love it.. LOL..

Awesome!!!

That's a huge collection bro. But seems like there are more that's not captured?? :)

Can I exchange some keddredd for ur blue tubs??

the blue tubs is on a super solid hard rock, tried to frag for Terry last week, FAILED..

Peter can testify to that too :P i shared this with him few months back when i first got it, and it didnt break off well.. haha..

the frag is quite small actually, photo enlarged it..

for now dont wanna risk killing the whole frag..

will let you guys know again if i manage to frag it out again... :)

nice collection of zoas man!!!!!

thanks bro...

starting to fall in love with zoas.. :D

Carpe Diem~!!!

• SRC Member

New Addition: 01x Torch Coral

post-16223-026147600 1282654693_thumb.jp

quite an interesting species...

colour suppose to be dark green with pink tips,

not sure why does the photo come out so blue...

got it from AM's latest shipment from Bali..

Carpe Diem~!!!