Fishshop at chinatown...Qns bout pico reef tank

• SRC Member
Sorry OT here but TS really reminds me of Peihao83. A pico version hehe :P

Maybe should conduct a workshop for newbies who are interested in setting up a new tank.

That should help them greatly. A 1 hr workshop is more effective than 5,000 posts.

no need workshop la, who is gonna take the time to organise? Just jio one of the bros out here for lfs shopping, then maybe treat him lunch. hahaa Can get all the answers you need. Get a few out to get more varied responses :)

Everyone subscribes to different school of thought. Like I say dead rock can be converted to LR. Just get a cup of live sand from a kind bro and sprinkle on top of the rocks when cycling. And protein skimmer is like the heart of the tank. No matter how small the tank, skimmer still can pull out some gunk. can you imagine sleeping with the same amount of gunk smeared on your bed? I wouldn't wanna do tt :eyebrow:

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm bro you should never ever pour salt mix directly into your tank.

The recommended method is to put the desired amount of DI/Distilled/Dechrolinated Tap water into a separate container, then add the salt mix to that container.

A powerhead or wavemaker helps, but you can stir and mix up the salt manually also.

Best if you can let it sit overnight or at least a few hours to see if any settling or sedimentation occurs, then fill the tank from there.

Don't pour in the last bit of the fresh salt mix water if there are still particles in it, just toss it away.

• SRC Member
Hmmm bro you should never ever pour salt mix directly into your tank.

The recommended method is to put the desired amount of DI/Distilled/Dechrolinated Tap water into a separate container, then add the salt mix to that container.

A powerhead or wavemaker helps, but you can stir and mix up the salt manually also.

Best if you can let it sit overnight or at least a few hours to see if any settling or sedimentation occurs, then fill the tank from there.

Don't pour in the last bit of the fresh salt mix water if there are still particles in it, just toss it away.

hi Fuzzy,

how are you doing? Starting yr marine tank soon?

Hope to meet up with you to visit LFS.

Your mushrooms and yumas are huge!

l7304smr.jpg

Ok, Jacky U can conduct a workshop using your nano tank as an example. :eyebrow::whistle:rolleyes::upsidedown:

Siow arh .... so many experts here..... you make me crack sometimes.

no need workshop la, who is gonna take the time to organise? Just jio one of the bros out here for lfs shopping, then maybe treat him lunch. hahaa Can get all the answers you need. Get a few out to get more varied responses :)

Sad to say yeah. Time is a rare commodity these days. But when you review the posts, some of these folks really have no idea what to do. Even salinity level is a "?"

So workshops can help these guys for sure but I guess that is only a wishful thinking.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

Everyone subscribes to different school of thought. Like I say dead rock can be converted to LR. Just get a cup of live sand from a kind bro and sprinkle on top of the rocks when cycling. And protein skimmer is like the heart of the tank. No matter how small the tank, skimmer still can pull out some gunk. can you imagine sleeping with the same amount of gunk smeared on your bed? I wouldn't wanna do tt :eyebrow:

Any Bro living in woodland can spare me a cup of live sand ?^_^ alright will get a skimmer soon. Those I saw $20+ de can work?

untitled.jpg

a noobie reefer...

• SRC Member

bro kimkim i live near 888plaza.. down the road from your house, if u want u can come over.. i can spare you a few small live rocks or a cup of live sand to seed your tank, if you need it urgently.. let me know..

bro kimkim i live near 888plaza.. down the road from your house, if u want u can come over.. i can spare you a few small live rocks or a cup of live sand to seed your tank, if you need it urgently.. let me know..

**clap clap.

Always feel good to see nice reefers around.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

oops bro kimkim i will be flying overseas on sat night.. won't be back till next month.. :(

Ooo it's alright bro. Hmmm tmr u shd be preparing luggage then better don't trouble u. Hee. Anyone else living near woodland can spare me then?=)

untitled.jpg

a noobie reefer...

Ooo it's alright bro. Hmmm tmr u shd be preparing luggage then better don't trouble u. Hee. Anyone else living near woodland can spare me then?=)

I'm staying at woodlans 755 if u can come over tomorow just drop by pass u some grade 1 or 0 also have

I'm staying at woodlans 755 if u can come over tomorow just drop by pass u some grade 1 or 0 also have

Woo as long as live and is fine de can Liao =D I donno anything bout the grading of the sand. Anyone care to enlight me? =p bro can pm me yr num?hehe

untitled.jpg

a noobie reefer...

• SRC Member
Woo as long as live and is fine de can Liao =D I donno anything bout the grading of the sand. Anyone care to enlight me? =p bro can pm me yr num?hehe

Grade 0 is super fine sand, grade 1 is not so fine sand... :eyebrow:

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

• SRC Member
IMG_5987.jpg

pic of my tank =)

can i check with u all, i js bought a digital thermometer.which part of my tank shd i be placing it?

If the thermometer comes with a probe then fix it outside on your tank with your probe in the tank water.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Went over to bro steven's place to get some live sand last nite.but i went away with TONS of stuffs in the end.He was very nice and gave me lots of test kits and live rocks oso.passed on lots of knowledge bout reefing thoughtout my short stay..haha.at 1 point a fellow reefer,named,er.. cruz?i'm not sure bout the spelling,also came up his place to collect some item from him..hehe,then steven's wife also came out and tok to me bout their tanks..saw his beautiful 3 & 4 feeters.and he showed me the initial setup of his foundation..so inspiring haha empty empty become the beautiful tank he has now.

Special thanks to bro steven again ^^v

untitled.jpg

a noobie reefer...

If the thermometer comes with a probe then fix it outside on your tank with your probe in the tank water.

oo bro i actualli where exactly shd i put the probe inside the water(higg,mid,low area)..but i guess where oso can la hor..

er..started cycling with the live rocks and sand i gotten from bro steven, he recommend me to on my skimmer only after 2 weeks as i'm still culitvating the bacterias.. And so i realised my tank dont realli have much water movement as the output from my external filter is kindna weak,shd i get a mini wavemaker now and put in my tank to assist in the cycling?coz i know eventually i will get one as i put in LS nxt time after the cycle process is finished to get rid of dead spots.but will it help the initial cycling part?

untitled.jpg

a noobie reefer...

• SRC Member
oo bro i actualli where exactly shd i put the probe inside the water(higg,mid,low area)..but i guess where oso can la hor..

er..started cycling with the live rocks and sand i gotten from bro steven, he recommend me to on my skimmer only after 2 weeks as i'm still culitvating the bacterias.. And so i realised my tank dont realli have much water movement as the output from my external filter is kindna weak,shd i get a mini wavemaker now and put in my tank to assist in the cycling?coz i know eventually i will get one as i put in LS nxt time after the cycle process is finished to get rid of dead spots.but will it help the initial cycling part?

Even a Koralia Nano would be an overkill for your nano tank. That was why I said getting a cannister filter may be a better option because it will increase the tank water volume, you can put carbon and phosphate media in the cannister filter and also the outlet can act as a wavemaker.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

hmm using "mr aqua bio power filter 60" guess its too small for any power.maybe will look out for some cheap china brand wavemakers as they wont be overpowering.. ytd i tried a GH tester kit.. i try until 12 drops the kit still pale orange cover,then i hoot until 20 drops then become orange..kaoz..y like that har?wonder will it ever turn green...anything i can put in the water to softer it up?

untitled.jpg

a noobie reefer...

• SRC Member
hmm using "mr aqua bio power filter 60" guess its too small for any power.maybe will look out for some cheap china brand wavemakers as they wont be overpowering.. ytd i tried a GH tester kit.. i try until 12 drops the kit still pale orange cover,then i hoot until 20 drops then become orange..kaoz..y like that har?wonder will it ever turn green...anything i can put in the water to softer it up?

You should be testing KH not GH... :rolleyes:

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member
oo.. donnn le.steven bro say can try test test oso..lolz. For N2 N3 N4, if we are gonna choose 1 to test.which should be the one huh?

Cycling test for N4 first, when u see the spike then test N2, then test N3 when N2 is 0.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Did a N2 & 3 test.Result is like this..

N2 - 0

N3 - between 5-10 ppm

Using API testers..

Forgot to buy N4 tester..alamak...

I am so slow.

For a good 10 mins, I was wondering whats N4.

lol ==> NH4