Fairy wrasses

yikai

You mean the one with the black edged tail and black patch on the dorsal? Ah beng have a few males from time to time but no females...... Bought twice from them... But all never make it... One is dropsy and the other unknown..

Yes both Iwarna and Ah Beng has brought in Cebu pylei in their philippines shipment before. Ah Beng side seen twice, but no alpha males and look a bit dull.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cirrhilabrus Lunatus. Very beautiful forked tail. extremely rare if im not wrong :(

C.Lunatus (normally recorded in Japan, and v rarely in sulawesi) has many colour variants. Shown below are other color variants, from sulawesi.

It's considered one of five hardest to obtain (but obtainable) fairy wrasses. The other four are C. majorie (Fiji), C. blatteus (Red Sea), C. earlei (Palau) and C. sanguineus (Mauritius).

post-10328-1263219497.jpg

post-10328-1263219531_thumb.jpg

post-10328-1263219578_thumb.jpg

Following is a yet to be properly named wrasse from cebu philippines, pintail or splendid fairy wrasse (Cirrhilabrus cf. lanceolatus).

It is in fact most similar to C.Lunatus (and not c.lanceolatus) except without the lunate caudal fin of the lunatus wrasse.

This fish is actually more obtainable but expensive, coming from cebu shipments. One of the most beautiful wrasse with a rhomboid tail.

post-10328-1263219995_thumb.jpg

post-10328-1263220012_thumb.jpg

• Senior Reefer
C.Lunatus (normally recorded in Japan, and v rarely in sulawesi) has many colour variants. Shown below are other color variants, from sulawesi.

It's considered one of five hardest to obtain (but obtainable) fairy wrasses. The other four are C. majorie (Fiji), C. blatteus (Red Sea), C. earlei (Palau) and C. sanguineus (Mauritius).

yah. these two colour forms remind me abit of exquisite wrasses. but i LOVE the tail of C.lunatus. probably that's where it got its name from hehe.

obtainable??? would love to own one one day. not really fond of majorie. looks like a cross between C. condei and C. debelius IMO. C . blatteus is lovely though. looks like a C. lanceolatus with paracheilinus blood. C. saguineus and earlei are both extraordinarily beautiful. especially sanguineus. would die happy if i ever get to see one. very highly unlikely since they are so rare even in their natural habitat.

• SRC Member

:rolleyes: Introducing moi Cebu PYLEI...bought the male from IWARNA last year. :eyebrow:

:( However, its body coloration changed in contained environment. <_<

post-2609-1263104660_thumb.jpg

Does anyone have seldom seen cebu pylei fairies?

Just to add, scottorum are one of the biggest for its genus and definately one of the most aggressive

You mean the one with the black edged tail and black patch on the dorsal? Ah beng have a few males from time to time but no females...... Bought twice from them... But all never make it... One is dropsy and the other unknown..

Yes both Iwarna and Ah Beng has brought in Cebu pylei in their philippines shipment before. Ah Beng side seen twice, but no alpha males and look a bit dull.

Yups, Seen it twice at Ah beng too... Thinks still sub male... But the male ventral fin and the color is out already...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

Obtainable but i think the price and risk is high!!! Not much Demand in singapore for them..

I only hope to see Earlei once in real life... The color is so bright!!!

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• SRC Member
Guess it's most likely shipping stress. Cirrhilabrus does not seem to handle shipping well. Female rhomboid from Hawaii died after 1 day. Got hooded wrasse (my personal favourite) twice from vanuatu shipment and both died the next day for no reason. Waiting to try a third time but vanuatu shipment does not seem to come anymore.

Did you acclimatise the new fishes by dripping your tank water into the bags before releasing the fishes into your tank? If you didn't, the difference in water parameters in the bags & tank will shock & kill them. I have lost a few Vanuatu wrasses because I didn't acclimatise them but simply either give them a freshwater dip or release them right away into the tank. None of the earlier ones survived a month. My recent wrasses, a hooded wrasse ( already more than 6 months ) & a Lineatus wrasse ( 3 months ) are thriving cos they went through acclimatisation.

yah. these two colour forms remind me abit of exquisite wrasses. but i LOVE the tail of C.lunatus. probably that's where it got its name from hehe.

obtainable??? would love to own one one day. not really fond of majorie. looks like a cross between C. condei and C. debelius IMO. C . blatteus is lovely though. looks like a C. lanceolatus with paracheilinus blood. C. saguineus and earlei are both extraordinarily beautiful. especially sanguineus. would die happy if i ever get to see one. very highly unlikely since they are so rare even in their natural habitat.

Obtainable here means the species are not protected and there's no restrictions on their collection or watsoever, plus there's also regular collection and import from their habitat. But we're not seeing the fishes because they are v rare and deepwater in their habitat and any caught will go directly to high paying countries like Japan. So good luck on seeing them in Singapore.

Did you acclimatise the new fishes by dripping your tank water into the bags before releasing the fishes into your tank? If you didn't, the difference in water parameters in the bags & tank will shock & kill them. I have lost a few Vanuatu wrasses because I didn't acclimatise them but simply either give them a freshwater dip or release them right away into the tank. None of the earlier ones survived a month. My recent wrasses, a hooded wrasse ( already more than 6 months ) & a Lineatus wrasse ( 3 months ) are thriving cos they went through acclimatisation.

Yes, and i believe most of us here do that and still suffer occasional loss because fairy wrasses are a gamble when bought during shipment day. Some will not take shipping well and have internal parasites. The ones that overcome the shipping stress will become v hardy eventually. I do not practise freshwater dip because always have v bad experience with that, it stress and weakens the fish further.

• SRC Member

:rolleyes: Only Alpha males were available at that time. Didn't realise that this species will also change its body coloration. Otherwise, could have bought another male ;)

Bro, any females with it? Maybe it will change with a female?

• SRC Member

:yeah: in the WILD... :eyebrow:

Following is a yet to be properly named wrasse from cebu philippines, pintail or splendid fairy wrasse (Cirrhilabrus cf. lanceolatus).

It is in fact most similar to C.Lunatus (and not c.lanceolatus) except without the lunate caudal fin of the lunatus wrasse.

This fish is actually more obtainable but expensive, coming from cebu shipments. One of the most beautiful wrasse with a rhomboid tail.

post-2609-1263297225_thumb.jpg

post-2609-1263297248_thumb.jpg

post-2609-1263297270_thumb.jpg

post-2609-1263297290_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...