Japanese-styled, USA engineered CREE LED spotlights

planula

• SRC Member
Thats a v nice fixture too Bro Jun :) even sexier than the Tertial from IKEA. Will be happy to hear your comments on the PAR38 and its realistic shimmer effects anytime. Cheers!

Haha, though i wouldn't go for it due to the price bro ... anyway, good i had it already. just posted in my thread for the updates.

25 Gal Micro Ocean

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone,

as promised, here are some pics of my PAR38 CREE LED Spotlight installed over my 3.5 gallon pico.

People who have tried photographing LED setups know how difficult it is to capture the true brilliance of it, so please forgive my much-to-be improved pictures. For now, I'll let pics do the talking, commentary to follow :)

Hope you will enjoy these pictures that were taken at night. Please note that the camera does not capture the full intensity of the lights - our eyes perceive the colours far better!

Overview:

DSC04455.JPG

Full tank Shot:

DSC04395.JPG

Scale of my tank (note the size of the Coca Cola can):

DSC04465.JPG

Another with the PAR 38 :):

DSC04466.JPG

Coming up.. pics of the specimens... :)

DSC04349.JPG

DSC04431.JPG

Hi Junkai :)

maintaining such a small system is v challenging but the rewards are proportionally fulfilling.. Aquascaping and attaching frags can be a real test of dexterity; trains you to have a surgeon's patience and skill :)

This system is 6 months old by the way.. I stocked it slow and steady with frags from many good reefer friends.. Like it?

Maybe i should start a thread on it...

Thanks for the encouragement Junkai. :)

Will do once some of my corals that have browned out regain their colours.. Despite my very very supportive mother who helped with the maintainance, the water quality declined during my official travels hence the loss of colours.. the PAR38 and incessant water changes (small volumes) is slowly bringing nitrates down again..

Some of the corals are responding v well to the PAR38.. Even the softies are "licking" the bright lights up..Am thinking of posting a series of colour changes to the corals.. but that will take some time capturing the pre and post pics as they change

• SRC Supporter
Hi everyone,

as promised, here are some pics of my PAR38 CREE LED Spotlight installed over my 3.5 gallon pico.

People who have tried photographing LED setups know how difficult it is to capture the true brilliance of it, so please forgive my much-to-be improved pictures. For now, I'll let pics do the talking, commentary to follow :)

Hope you will enjoy these pictures that were taken at night. Please note that the camera does not capture the full intensity of the lights - our eyes perceive the colours far better!

Overview:

DSC04455.JPG

Full tank Shot:

DSC04395.JPG

Scale of my tank (note the size of the Coca Cola can):

DSC04465.JPG

Another with the PAR 38 :) :

DSC04466.JPG

Coming up.. pics of the specimens... :)

DSC04349.JPG

DSC04431.JPG

Hi Bro,

May i know what camera you are using to take the photos ? Are you using a DSLR ?

Nice.. :)

Thanks for the encouragement Junkai. :)

Will do once some of my corals that have browned out regain their colours.. Despite my very very supportive mother who helped with the maintainance, the water quality declined during my official travels hence the loss of colours.. the PAR38 and incessant water changes (small volumes) is slowly bringing nitrates down again..

Some of the corals are responding v well to the PAR38.. Even the softies are "licking" the bright lights up..Am thinking of posting a series of colour changes to the corals.. but that will take some time capturing the pre and post pics as they change

I must have been extremely feverish (am down with severe viral flu) when I typed this "the PAR38 and incessant water changes (small volumes) is slowly bringing nitrates down again.." Despite being an open minded scientist, never would I make such wild conjectures as PAR38's bringing nitrates down, unless one extrapolates hyperbolically :). Apologies folks. Actually meant that the continuous water changes brought Nitrates down..

The point about PAR38 was in relation to colouring up of some of my browned out corals - i somehow mixed the two up in my feverish state.

Cheers

Hi Bro,

May i know what camera you are using to take the photos ? Are you using a DSLR ?

Nice.. :)

Hi Larry,

Yes, a DSLR - Sony Alpha a230 - borrowed from my brother. Shame I can't capture the true aesthetics of the tank and lights though.. its really tough to photograph LEDs. I use a tripod and put my settings to Aperture mode.

Cheers,

• 2 months later...

hi guys, veri interested in the par 38 LEd. need to check with you all. i juz started a 1ft cube tank with focus mainly on softies. wat should be the ideal height of the led? for a 1ft cube, i thinking of using juz one par38 to light up the tank, would 40 deg or 60 deg optic be a better choice?

hi guys, veri interested in the par 38 LEd. need to check with you all. i juz started a 1ft cube tank with focus mainly on softies. wat should be the ideal height of the led? for a 1ft cube, i thinking of using juz one par38 to light up the tank, would 40 deg or 60 deg optic be a better choice?

Go for 60 degree optics, 40 will be too narrow. I know as I am using 40 degrees optics.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

hey gerard, i'm using this on my 5G pico now, 40 deg as well. if you can, go for 60. height is about 12 inches from water surface. but nothing much to say yet coz just set up, still understocked.

25 Gal Micro Ocean

i waiting for aquarium artist to bring in the LEDs with 60 deg optics, understand from him the estimated arrival date is around may. At the moment could u guys keep the rest of us updated on the pros and cons of the 40 deg optics one? by the way, poomoon, are u using the recommended fixture for yr LED? N thanks all for the valuable feedback. anyone interested to go iwarna on sat???

• SRC Member

i waiting for aquarium artist to bring in the LEDs with 60 deg optics, understand from him the estimated arrival date is around may. At the moment could u guys keep the rest of us updated on the pros and cons of the 40 deg optics one? by the way, poomoon, are u using the recommended fixture for yr LED? N thanks all for the valuable feedback. anyone interested to go iwarna on sat???

no gerard. just so happened that i had an existing philips lamp which is just right for it. and as wilson said, looks more sexy than the ikea one. can check out my earlier post on this thread, i posted a picture there when i set it up on my nano previously. or you can check my post (which i haven't updated for MONTHS already) for additional pics on this.

25 Gal Micro Ocean

Depending on your tank depth and the type of led use.

If you using the standard 3 w led,you use 60 deg lens if your tank is more than 16 inch deep

and less then 25 inch.

However if you tank is 2.5 ft to 3 ft deep use 45 Deg lens.

If you tank is more then 5 ft depth use 30 deg lens

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016