Which fish/inverts can i keep to control my algae?

qwertman321

• SRC Member

My tank is 2 feet . it has a lot of hair algae growing on the rocks, which fish/inverts can i keep

to help control them? i belive i cannot keep tangs as my tank is too small. i have a red hermit crab in my tank too.

bought a turbo snail last week but it died , do not wish to keep any more turbo.

Anyone can advise me here?

• SRC Member
err... ok. but i wanted more colorful fish. algae blennie seem to dull.

is there any fish that eat red slime algae too?

hehe.. nice fish dun eat algae.. so far its always the dull colored ones.. people say Yellow Tangs too.. I haven't seen mine pecking on algae before.

Red slime is cause by low flow.. try directing your wavemaker to the area.. it helps alot.

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

• SRC Member

Just remembered there is also another Tang that eats algae.. very hardworking. Tomini Tangs... Also somewhat dull colored fish.. hehe

But beware.. it shits ALOT.. lol..

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

• SRC Member
err... ok. but i wanted more colorful fish. algae blennie seem to dull.

is there any fish that eat red slime algae too?

red slime is more of bacteria then algae.. from what i know hardly any fishes exist that eat red slime..

A man with a reef tank is a man with an empty wallet...

• SRC Member

try abalone for algae.

Main Tank : 48 inch by 36 inch by 28 inch (2 sides starphire glass)
Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller : Starmax Compressor 1 HP Drop coil
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :

i have an algae scrubber already, do i still need those? :unsure:

Algae scrubber, does not fully eliminate phosphate if the phosphate level is too high and the algae growing on your algae scrubber is not enough to take in the phosphate as fast as your tank produce them... Use the Phos remover together with the algae scrubber will help you to reduce phosphate...

Cyano are not algae but bacteria, can be solved by adding more movement to the area with cyano.. Sea hare do eat cyano but case to case, i had some sea hares that dun eat cyano... Or last resort is to use medication to remove cyano... Use red slime remover...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• SRC Member
Algae scrubber, does not fully eliminate phosphate if the phosphate level is too high and the algae growing on your algae scrubber is not enough to take in the phosphate as fast as your tank produce them... Use the Phos remover together with the algae scrubber will help you to reduce phosphate...

Cyano are not algae but bacteria, can be solved by adding more movement to the area with cyano.. Sea hare do eat cyano but case to case, i had some sea hares that dun eat cyano... Or last resort is to use medication to remove cyano... Use red slime remover...

sea hare is poisonus right?

• SRC Member

For 2ft, you can keep a tang if u don't have many fishes.. i used to keep a tomini tang, which really cleans up all the algae.. even from the glass panels.. u can see the "Kissing" marks :)

Yellow tang also nips on them but not as much in my experience.

Other choice as mention include blenny, snail (i think some only... turbo i think eat algae)...

• SRC Member
sea hare is poisonus right?

Nope but they are kinda weird looking. Amusing to look at for a while but it looks ugly.. and not good if you have wavemakers.. I kept before.. it crawled into the wavemaker from the front, got stucked and died in there. And its damn icky when I tried to tear it out :wacko: . No they are not poisonous.. just stupid.. :pinch:

• SRC Member
For 2ft, you can keep a tang if u don't have many fishes.. i used to keep a tomini tang, which really cleans up all the algae.. even from the glass panels.. u can see the "Kissing" marks :)

Yeah.. actually Tomini tangs also do not grow very big or fast.. They can be quite suitable for small tanks..

• SRC Member
i read form live aquaria that they may squirt out purple ink and needed to be clear fast before they affect the other LS

Heard of that too but its highly unlikely.. you can disturb them to the core and still not see it.. they are way more tolerant unlike squids..

i read form live aquaria that they may squirt out purple ink and needed to be clear fast before they affect the other LS

Yes they got the purple ink from the cyano they eat... Had experience it before when i accidentally drop a rock on one... Your tank just turn purple lor, all other coral and fishes are okay... it will get skimmed out by the skimmer anyway...

Member of:

• SRC Member
Yes they got the purple ink from the cyano they eat... Had experience it before when i accidentally drop a rock on one... Your tank just turn purple lor, all other coral and fishes are okay... it will get skimmed out by the skimmer anyway...

You sure its not its internal organs spewing blood? Coz when I had to tear a dead one out from my wavemaker, everything inside is blueish/purpleish.. disgusting..

True that if the water flow to skimmer is good it shouldn't matter..

You sure its not its internal organs spewing blood? Coz when I had to tear a dead one out from my wavemaker, everything inside is blueish/purpleish.. disgusting..

True that if the water flow to skimmer is good it shouldn't matter..

It is still live and moving... LOL... Still eating and grazing around... Just got shocked or stressed by the rock dropping down.... But in the end, it went for the wave maker... Sigh...

Member of: