Deltec MCE 600 'Review'

comycus

• SRC Member

I have been seeing a few ppl enquiring on HOB skimmers, and a few recommendations on Deltec's MCE 600. Also have some friends here in src asking me how I find my MCE 600 after running it for the past 6+ months. Decided to post a short 'review' of this popular HOB skimmer based on my experience.

I'm not much of a review person, so <Disclaimer> this is not gonna be an objective, step by step review. You can easily google it and find an excellent review of it by Gregory Schiemer. Most ppl are only interested in a direct answer on

Why should I get myself a Deltec MCE 600???

here's why...

post-16489-1263385016_thumb.jpg

post-16489-1263385233_thumb.jpg

post-16489-1263385266_thumb.jpg

Skimmer was last cleaned 4 weeks ago. So this 'kopi kao' is 4 weeks old with moderate feeding in a 3ft sumpless tank. The skimmate i wiped off using my index finger is approximately 10-15% of total skimmate (on a conservative estimate).

My Verdict: IT STINKS LIKE HELL!

• SRC Member

Of course, there are some minor peeves that I have to put up with...

Peeve #1:post-16489-1263385841_thumb.jpg

Hard to reach into the corners of the cup when cleaning. This can be easily solved with a cleaning kit/cotton buds.

Peeve #2: Microbubbles sometimes still leak into my main tank. V. small amt tt I have come to live with.

I understand that this model might be upgraded soon as Deltec looks to improve on its skimmer range. No matter, this is one great little mean machine!

• SRC Member

Hard to reach into the corners of the cup when cleaning. This can be easily solved with a cleaning kit/cotton buds.

Peeve #2: Microbubbles sometimes still leak into my main tank. V. small amt tt I have come to live with.

I understand that this model might be upgraded soon as Deltec looks to improve on its skimmer range. No matter, this is one great little mean machine!

whoa ... That one crazy effective skimming !!! :ph34r:

25 Gal Micro Ocean

• SRC Member
whoa ... That one crazy effective skimming !!! :ph34r:

MCE600 is without a doubt one of the best HOB skimmers around... :eyebrow: I used to get this type of skim mate every 3-4 days... :whistle

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

• SRC Member
MCE600 is without a doubt one of the best HOB skimmers around... :eyebrow: I used to get this type of skim mate every 3-4 days... :whistle

hmmm ... And that will give me more space inside the tank ... How's the noise bro comy? The microbubbles same problem as tunze reefpack ... How much for this again ?

25 Gal Micro Ocean

• SRC Member

Have to use paper tissue and a long chopstick to clean those corners.

Currently still using my MCE600, about 3 months +; now in sump :)

Found that MCE600 very easy and hard working skimmer to use.

Of course do not mind to change to sc2060 when Cai Sen Ye arrives :upsidedown:

(-_-) Happy will do ... (o_o)

• SRC Member
hmmm ... And that will give me more space inside the tank ... How's the noise bro comy? The microbubbles same problem as tunze reefpack ... How much for this again ?

You will hear a humming noise when the skimmer is on. Second hand ard $300. New I think ard $600... :eyebrow:

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

Looks very small and tidy.. we use the red sea prizm for our 2 ft, also not bad i feel.

Actually i think it is slightly bigger than Prizm but performance wise, one is a lion and the other a mouse.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

Actually i think it is slightly bigger than Prizm but performance wise, one is a lion and the other a mouse.

Not slightly. bigger. MCE600 have a AB2000/1 inside its body where as Prizm only have a puny motor. I have both in my office tanks. You are spot on on the performance.

event.png

Hi Comycus,

Can i check with you? I bought a MCE 500, coz i wanted it in the sump...

Anyway, there is a weir plate right next to the piece of blue sponge. Do you know what is it use for?

Also, i am abit unclear of what the air venturi is for...

From the instruction (which is a 1 pager) it says that ideally i should adjust it in such a way that the water level is 2 inches below where the skimmate cup is, how do we adjust the water height?

really sua ku...

nvr used an MCE before but try this.

closed the air valve. swtch on the skimmer.

slowly adjust (open the air valve) till the bubbling water level in the skimmer is 2 inch below where the skimmate cup is.

open in very small steps. open the valve, then come back and check the water level indicator in 20 mins.

do that again and again till the level is where you want it to be.

Just remember - always in very small steps and do this several times.

Once you have the water level set, just leave it.

Sometimes you will see skimmage overflowing, sometimes you will not.

This is normal.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member
nvr used an MCE before but try this.

closed the air valve. swtch on the skimmer.

slowly adjust (open the air valve) till the bubbling water level in the skimmer is 2 inch below where the skimmate cup is.

open in very small steps. open the valve, then come back and check the water level indicator in 20 mins.

do that again and again till the level is where you want it to be.

Just remember - always in very small steps and do this several times.

Once you have the water level set, just leave it.

Sometimes you will see skimmage overflowing, sometimes you will not.

This is normal.

+1 on adjusting very small steps and check water level after some time until stabilize.

25 Gal Micro Ocean

• SRC Member
ah... ok thanks Jacky and Pooman...

What about the weir plate huh? what is it for?

Any idea?

if i'm not wrong, as you pull the plate up the water level in the skimmer cup rises.. giving you a wetter skimmate. also you know that the collection cup height can be adjusted depending on how wet u want your skimmate to be right?

• SRC Member

good lah promote the mce-600 , i got a 6 months old set from rd for sale

Mix Reef Tank: 5ft x 2.5ft x 2ft mixed reef

Chiller: daikin 1hp compressor

Return: Red Dragon 6.5m3

Lighting: Aqua Lumen Ocean 4ft

Skimmer: Reef Octopus RO-RPS-5000-EXT w/ Bubble Blaster

CR: RM 824 /milwakee PH controller

Tunze TS24 with 7096

Tunze Osmolator

American Pinpoint PH monitor

American Pinpoint ORP Monitor with Resun Ozone

RM sulphur denitrator

RM FR 424

RM FR 624

TLF Phosban Reactor

My old tank thread

469748_10150741487628605_529506809_o_zps36d5c396.jpg

• SRC Member
if i'm not wrong, as you pull the plate up the water level in the skimmer cup rises.. giving you a wetter skimmate. also you know that the collection cup height can be adjusted depending on how wet u want your skimmate to be right?

Yup Markietan's right. Sorry Pweesng, have been really busy at work, haven't had the chance to visit src.

Adjusting the skimmer cup and and air valve is quite tricky actually. I find that i get the best skimming for my tank when my air valve is open full at 12 o'clock and skimmer cup is adjusted about 4 finger widths from the top of skimmer cup to top of skimmer body (If you can visualize it)

• SRC Member
lol bro you should sell it la... use mce600 for pico lol

lol it was initially used for my quarantine tank which had my AT inside, after my AT died then i used it for the pico tank lah

Mix Reef Tank: 5ft x 2.5ft x 2ft mixed reef

Chiller: daikin 1hp compressor

Return: Red Dragon 6.5m3

Lighting: Aqua Lumen Ocean 4ft

Skimmer: Reef Octopus RO-RPS-5000-EXT w/ Bubble Blaster

CR: RM 824 /milwakee PH controller

Tunze TS24 with 7096

Tunze Osmolator

American Pinpoint PH monitor

American Pinpoint ORP Monitor with Resun Ozone

RM sulphur denitrator

RM FR 424

RM FR 624

TLF Phosban Reactor

My old tank thread

469748_10150741487628605_529506809_o_zps36d5c396.jpg

Yup Markietan's right. Sorry Pweesng, have been really busy at work, haven't had the chance to visit src.

Adjusting the skimmer cup and and air valve is quite tricky actually. I find that i get the best skimming for my tank when my air valve is open full at 12 o'clock and skimmer cup is adjusted about 4 finger widths from the top of skimmer cup to top of skimmer body (If you can visualize it)

Ah... ok thanks.. that helps...

one more question.

Where should the water level be? ie how many fingers below the "top of the skimmer body"?

Thanks in advance

• SRC Member
Ah... ok thanks.. that helps...

one more question.

Where should the water level be? ie how many fingers below the "top of the skimmer body"?

Thanks in advance

:paiseh: take another week to reply...

Anyway, my water level is approximately 1 and a half fingers below the bottom of my skimmer body? from there on is bubbles all the way up to my skimmer cup.

Powerful stuff!

• SRC Member

mm.. i'm currently running two units side by side. one is a 2nd hand unit and the other one is new from RD.

for the old one, i can push the skimmate collection cup all the way down and won't have overflow problem but for the new one, i need to make sure the cup is about 1 finger width away from being pushed all the way down.

i'm thinking my older unit's pump is weakening... is this correct? lazy to take out both units and swap pumps to test.... just wanna ask if anyone had the same problem.

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Its a great skimmer u've got thr bro and since u've got it flaunt it! :lol::lol::lol: Regarding the microbubbles u can read up on the deltec site... or the aquarium solutions... :upsidedown:

1ft cube with IOS [the low tech tank]

1. JBJ C-breeze to keep temp hovering around 27-28'C

2. LED clip on - 120 bulbs

-skimmer-less-

My 3 humble equipments that keeps my tank running... [DRIED OUT]

1. The RSM itself of course 2.My NEW Deltec MCE-300 Skimmer 3. My trusty Arctica Chiller

Tank parameters:

Temperature maintained at 25.3'C to 24.7'C

No3: 10ppm(b4 the use of the deltec skimmer)

No3: 5ppm (after use of the skimmer)

Others? too lazy to measure...LOL

Camera- EOS 50D

• 2 months later...
  • SRC Member

I decided that the plate sticking out of the outflow pipe is getting unsightly with all the algae and coralline growing on it. Went down to RD to get a pipe to mod the outflow. Works really well and looks great! Yes there are still bubble issues when it flows out but I find that if I tilt the pipe to a side, it will minimise the amount of bubbles coming out. It is a rather easy and satisfying modification to this great skimmmer!

Here's how it looks like in my tank now. Will be shifting it into my new sump tmr. :)

post-16489-12733268886777_thumb.jpg