what is the min watts to keep SPS and clams ?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

for a 10g tank, L60cm W22cm H30cm. can i use two 24w T5 and keep SPS and corals ?? or not enough watts ?

SBS_Transit

• SRC Member
for a 10g tank, L60cm W22cm H30cm. can i use two 24w T5 and keep SPS and corals ?? or not enough watts ?

Its alrite to invest in the proper equip now but pls dun go into sps especially when ur knowledge and tank condition dun allow u to keep them. Readin from ur previous thread and as u r startin out a new tank, i would advise u to start off with soft corals first.....and along the way gain experiences and when ur tank is ready and matured (at least 6-12mths) and most importanly (pocket full of ammo) then u can start tryin out a few of this wonderful corals and if they r doin well in ur tank....u knw u r ready. And maintainin them is not easy too, it will easily exhaust ur "ammo" and time so u really nd to commit when u start off. :peace:

post-34-1094181419.jpg

There are 2 types of person, those that chose learn n do it rite the first time and those tat chose to learn it the hard way.

• SRC Member

well, i never say that i going to keep SPS now, i just want to know wheather T5 can keep anot, so that i dont have to change my lights next time when i get SPS , buy the lights now.

So can for a 10g tank, L60cm W22cm H30cm. can i use two 24w T5 and keep SPS and corals ?? can anot ? :thanks:

SBS_Transit

• SRC Member

i dont want to get MH coz too hot, my tank too small, so 48w T5 enough anot ?

SBS_Transit

• SRC Member

some thing like that, my question is, is the watts enough ?

thats all i want to know ;)

SBS_Transit

The keeping of SPS corals in a small tank is possible but there is much much more to keeping SPS WELL then just lights. You have to make sure your water parameters are excellent eg. very low phosphates, constant cal and alk levels, ample circulation etc.

It's possible to have adequate lighting with T5s but you may end up with only brown SPS for a very very long time due to this combined with other reasons.

You should be asking Danano as he is our resident Nano-Keeper of Great Fame. :D

• SRC Member
The keeping of SPS corals in a small tank is possible but there is much much more to keeping SPS WELL then just lights. You have to make sure your water parameters are excellent eg. very low phosphates, constant cal and alk levels, ample circulation etc.

It's possible to have adequate lighting with T5s but you may end up with only brown SPS for a very very long time due to this combined with other reasons.

You should be asking Danano as he is our resident Nano-Keeper of Great Fame. :D

thanks for the info AT, but why will it turn brown ? the lights not good enough ?

SBS_Transit

• SRC Member

but a 48w T5 for a 10g is enough right ? :rolleyes:

about the other things i will read up, but i just want to know about the lightings ;)

SBS_Transit

• SRC Member
but a 48w T5 for a 10g is enough right ? :rolleyes:

about the other things i will read up, but i just want to know about the lightings ;)

Yes, its enough.....juz go ahd and get it.

post-34-1094181419.jpg

There are 2 types of person, those that chose learn n do it rite the first time and those tat chose to learn it the hard way.

• SRC Member

sorry to come with this question :rolleyes: again, but this time can answer me with a yes and no ??? :

if i get 48w T5 can keep clams and sps ???

1)yes

2)no

:unsure::thanks:

SBS_Transit

yeah...i have them under 3x54W =162W currently...all ATI sunpro 6900K

the lights are about 5 inches above the waterline and the clams mantles are about 3inches under the water line....and i still think the clams will enjoy more light...so the light penetrate 5inches of air before punching through 3 inches of water to reach the clams

go figure ;)