Electricity Bill - How much is yours?

craftsman

i think a bit hard to tell one...

previously i was running a FW tank with nothing but a chinese canister. There wasn't even any light in the tank. And my monthly bill was around $120.

After i decom my FW tank, my bill drops to about $90! My wife was saying that stupid canister can't be using $30 a month!!!

now with 3 pumps running and a chiller... i am expecting like $180.... but over the last month, the bill when back to $120!

so i think it is a bit hard to judge accurately one...

• SRC Member
i think a bit hard to tell one...

previously i was running a FW tank with nothing but a chinese canister. There wasn't even any light in the tank. And my monthly bill was around $120.

After i decom my FW tank, my bill drops to about $90! My wife was saying that stupid canister can't be using $30 a month!!!

now with 3 pumps running and a chiller... i am expecting like $180.... but over the last month, the bill when back to $120!

so i think it is a bit hard to judge accurately one...

During the first 2 months of yr running, its not accurate...after the 3rd month, you will know how much energy yr new tank is consuming...coz sometimes, SP will just do an estimation if their guys do not come to your place to do electronic reading.

l7304smr.jpg

During the first 2 months of yr running, its not accurate...after the 3rd month, you will know how much energy yr new tank is consuming...coz sometimes, SP will just do an estimation if their guys do not come to your place to do electronic reading.

My place i submit my own reading.... so chun chun on the dot one...

previously i use to let them estimate... then they estimate damn high... i pay like crazy, money put in their bank account le tthem earn interest... i rather have the money in my account and ownselve earn interest...

so now i ownself submit meter reading... won't go wrong... ha ha

• SRC Member
more thoughts.

just went back to check your tank thread again (**instead of feeding my baby. Gotta get to it after this post)

- Is your hood covered. If yes, hot air will be trapped inside. I saw that your placed a plastic cover there.

- what time does your MH switch on? hopefully it is in the evening/ night.

- I have not done the maths but I am suspecting 1/4HP is kinda under powered for your tank. Especially an outdoor one.

- try monitoring how long it takes for your chiller to come on and cut off in the afternoon. I am suspecting it could be very very long. usually it should come on for about 10 - 15 mins only.

for a small tank, chiller running for 10 - 15min is possible. for 4ft n above....impossible....even a starmax 1hp running in a 4ft take 20min to cool down 1 degree. last time i was using 1/2hp for my 450L tank. cooling down 1 degree took abt 40min. but it stay off for nearly 2hr.

The new chiller is in. Have not had a chance to measure how long it takes to chill down the temp to the set temp at 26, but it certainly is super quiet, and I've already noticed that it doesn't come on all the time. Will be measuringand seeing how this improvment will mean in terms of electricity bills.... :)

• SRC Member
The new chiller is in. Have not had a chance to measure how long it takes to chill down the temp to the set temp at 26, but it certainly is super quiet, and I've already noticed that it doesn't come on all the time. Will be measuringand seeing how this improvment will mean in terms of electricity bills.... :)

what chiller u running now? did u also reduce any chiller feed pump? from review of users of those aircon unit, they save alot on the bill. not sure y n how? but most of their chiller run for 30mins n rest for 2 - 2.5hrs.....

what chiller u running now? did u also reduce any chiller feed pump? from review of users of those aircon unit, they save alot on the bill. not sure y n how? but most of their chiller run for 30mins n rest for 2 - 2.5hrs.....

Mitsubishi starmex. 1hp. Titanum coil in sump. No pump required. :)

Mitsubishi starmex. 1hp. Titanum coil in sump. No pump required. :)

hope this solve your problem bro.

Keep us posted a month or two later.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

hope this solve your problem bro.

Keep us posted a month or two later.

Yup.. I really hope it will solve the drastically high bill. But, if its normal to have the bill at this range, then I'll accept it lah..... :) Sometimes, its just a paradigm shift... heh heh heh.... I'm happy that its so silent leow. plus, it doesn't run all the time. Somehow, that has a psychological impact leh.... :D

Yup.. I really hope it will solve the drastically high bill. But, if its normal to have the bill at this range, then I'll accept it lah..... :) Sometimes, its just a paradigm shift... heh heh heh.... I'm happy that its so silent leow. plus, it doesn't run all the time. Somehow, that has a psychological impact leh.... :D

I am new to chiller, however it works the same as our freezer and air cond system. if the freon (air cond gas) is low in pressure or not enough, your compressor will keep on running till the water temperature has reach the setting only then your compressor will cut out. so i think this is the problem with your old chiller.

I am new to chiller, however it works the same as our freezer and air cond system. if the freon (air cond gas) is low in pressure or not enough, your compressor will keep on running till the water temperature has reach the setting only then your compressor will cut out. so i think this is the problem with your old chiller.

Potentially, yes. Planning on either getting it serviced and keep as a spare, or just sell it. Haven't decided.

Paul