Any LFS providing service to setup a 1.5ft tank

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice. guess you are in Qiang's good hands already.

Looking forward to your new tank thread and enjoy your new hobby.

Welcome to the reefing community bro!

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

Sorry one more dump question from me.... for a JBJ 24G nano tank, would u advise me to get a chiller or those mini fan to be mount on the top of the tank. Which one consume more electrical? Which one is more noisy??? Which one is more costly?

always go for chiller if you can afford.

chiller - more expensive. china made ones are about 300 - 400. more effective in cooling the temp than fan. less water evaporation, more beneficial for corals & fishes.

fans -cheaper, more unsightly, constant noise, more water evaporation.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

• SRC Supporter

Hi there,

something to advise imo,

in the past, people would go for as big as possible a tank. why? because the bigger the tank the bigger the vol is. in reefing we talk alot about water parameters. and if you are not too good and familiar with it yet. the small amount of water in ur nano tank will be affected greatly with the simplest mistake u will make.

however, our society today is not too suitable for beginner to have huge tank as there is more room for everything in terms of equipment and livestock and money is a huge prob for many of us.

so my suggestion is, get a 2ft maybe a 2ft x 2x 1.5ft kind of tank. and start learning from there.

the nano maybe good to start with and not too expensive at times. but not everyone can master the skill with it.

always remember every mistake by us will result in lifes lost! livestock life that is.

good luck and enjoy, you have been given very good advise from our reefers here! :)

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

• SRC Member

in reefing we talk alot about water parameters. and if you are not too good and familiar with it yet. the small amount of water in ur nano tank will be affected greatly with the simplest mistake u will make.

totally agree on this point. Do note that 1 small swing in parameter in a big tank is a very big swing in a small tank..

in another words, nano tank is more sensative to changes in water parameter..

A man with a reef tank is a man with an empty wallet...

Yeah small tank will be harder to manage. But as long as sensibility is practiced (though often very difficult, I agree), keeping stocking level low, perform regular husbandry chores, reading up to understand more about basic reefing fundamentals, it should not be too difficult.

personally, I always feel that it is a mistake for BEGINNERS to go beyond 2 feet square tank.

The cost can increase exponentially when you jump from 1.5 ft to 3 ft or 4 ft.

Lightsets are more expensive = higher startup cost

The amount to corals & LR to stock up are much more= higher cost.

there is a high learning curve during this period so more LS = more losses. (if you have a bigger tank, you tend to want to buy more corals.)

Then when come to chiller sizing, you need to upsize = higher cost

Skimmer? => upsize = more $$ again.

In total the cost can be very high for someone new who would like to try out marine.

(I am talking about average income folks. Not like some of the rich rich towkays here :) )

I feel that it is better to keep things easy and simple for the 1st year or two.

Learn the basics. control the stocking level. REad up more. Understand how to achieve the equilibrium in your ecological system.

try to keep what you have and sustain them and when you can achieve that and down the road, if marine is your cup of tea, then go for a bigger tank.

just my personal opinion.

but i do agree, bigger tank = easier to keep parameters stable. no doubt about that.

guess his having a headache now. LFS say 1 thing, Reefers from forum say another! LOL!

anyway just shoot us qns if u need any help!

more like LFS say one thing, reefers from forum all say different things... keke.....

bros just t check with u all, as for the wavemaker do u on it all the while 24/7 or under auto timer? Thanks for bro qiang for helping me all my those dumb question.... only till today i know from him that the chiller had to "on " everydays 24/7... for i thought is like fan only need to on for ard 7hrs... :P

• SRC Member

Wavemaker is usually switched on 24/7, the electrical consumption is only a few watts, wouldn't make so much of a difference if you set it on timer or not.

As for cycling, once the nitrite is 0, and nitrate rises, you can consider it cycled (low levels of nitrate is mostly harmless to fishes and corals). Reason being, the cycling process is meant to build up colonies of ammonia and nitrite consuming bacteria to break down the waste produced by your livestock. After nitrite is 0, you can perform a water change to export the remaining nitrate and slowly introduce fishes 1 by 1 (a sudden increase in livestock in a new tank may be too much for the existing bacteria population to handle).

My 1.5ft nano cube

My 24G nano tank (Decommed)

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.

And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

-- Jack Handey

:thanks:hi , another newbie here, i like to set myfirst tank with seahorse n soft coral, do these two needs chiller here in singapore? mine is a 2ft 1.5 * 1.5. and sifu out there pls list me few marine shop i can go. name plus address. thank uuuuuuuuuuuuuu :thanks:

:thanks:hi , another newbie here, i like to set myfirst tank with seahorse n soft coral, do these two needs chiller here in singapore? mine is a 2ft 1.5 * 1.5. and sifu out there pls list me few marine shop i can go. name plus address. thank uuuuuuuuuuuuuu :thanks:

dun attempt seahorse at your 1st tank attempt.

go for hardy fishes.