How to know the sex of Harlequin Shrimp ??

Regal

• SRC Member

There are 2 type of Harlequin Shrimp , one which blue, one which brown or brown red ??

Can two type mix together ?? How to know their sex ?? thx.......

Look at the bottom where the legs are.. the males' are colourless. The females have patches of colour similar to their body's. Its hard to tell if they are in the tank unless the go stretching upwards exposing their under-bellys. Else, you can bag them and look under.

From my exprience, the males are pretty docile.. Its the females that tent to fight.. If you got a big enough tank and hopefully both females stay to their side, it shouldn't be a problem. Then again, you will never know.

I had once kept 1 male and 2 females before.. funny thing is the male tends to stray (tiger woods style).. hehe.. It will usually be loyal to the true mate but occasionally will go over to the other female for a few days.

Species of different colours should be ok together.. just get 1 of each sex to be on safer side.

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

• SRC Member

Ok.. not near the legs.. more behind..

See circled.. underneath that flap is where you see the sex..

post-2063-12698523553891_thumb.jpg

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

Only 2 known species of harlequin shrimp.

H. elegans is from Indo-pacific and is found in pink or blue. H. picta is only found in hawaiin waters and many times more expensive.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

Any place to recommend selling the above shrimp cheap?

Maximum size of such shrimp grow?

Some1 doesn't 1 2 do anything find an excuse,some1 1 2 do something find a mean!

Try Iwarna.. I saw some few weeks back... very good price.. ~1 red note..

Coral Farm also constantly available... but never check price so far....

Max size ~1.5inch

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+525+749&pcatid=749

But they only feed on StarFish...

Cheers

30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif
BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

• Senior Reefer

the max size can go above one inch. 2 inch even.

the indo ones are white with blue or pink blothes.

the hawaii ones are white with deep purple blotches outlined in yellow. these cost tons more than the indo ones.

for the indo ones, it is not uncommon for the blue to change to pink. mine changed colours after many months. not sure why too.

their favourite food is linkia starfishes and it's the most nutritious for them. reccomended to feed linkias and nothing else.

4pcs spotted at Reborn today... ~2 red + 1 green note

BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

• SRC Member

Wow... Seems like iwarna sell cheaper. The rest looks like more than a red note.

Btw,I got sand star n other star in tank. Can mix? Got cleaner shrimp too can mix?

Some1 doesn't 1 2 do anything find an excuse,some1 1 2 do something find a mean!

• SRC Member

4pcs spotted at Reborn today... ~2 red + 1 green note

2red + 1green isn't it $25?

• SRC Member

there're a few at AM..

going for 1red and 4purple notes

1red 4purple??????

U mean $210 per pc???

• 3 weeks later...
  • Senior Reefer

you know where to get purple harlequin shrimp??? And does anyone know how to breed the harlequin shrimp?

The purple one, (H. picta) is from hawaii and is sometimes available from hawaii shipments. very expensive though.

they are extremely difficult to breed, infact i'm not sure if harlequins have been successfully bred before. shrimps in general are extremely difficult.

post-15755-12747066272514_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Breeding is not an issue if you keep it in private tank, if your tank water is in good condition, you expect to have them breeding every month from 100-2000 eggs. However, here the trouble come: it is extremely hard to keep lavae, and it takes from 6-8 weeks to complete lavae stage.

So far, i only heard one guys in Japan success to breed, but with limit survival rate.

I have 7 pcs in my nano tank, giving eggs three times .... and nothing left after 4 days. Poor.

Breeding is not an issue if you keep it in private tank, if your tank water is in good condition, you expect to have them breeding every month from 100-2000 eggs. However, here the trouble come: it is extremely hard to keep lavae, and it takes from 6-8 weeks to complete lavae stage.

So far, i only heard one guys in Japan success to breed, but with limit survival rate.

I have 7 pcs in my nano tank, giving eggs three times .... and nothing left after 4 days. Poor.

Wow.. Just curious how many star fish did you feed these 7 shrimp ?

2 harlequins consumed one start fish / week (diameter of start fish 5 cm), i feed 1 for 2 shrimps / every 2 weeks.

here is its nano tank

harlequin1.jpg

Dun gave up.. keep in on.... Hope can see Local breed harlequins in market soon... :thumbsup:

BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

• SRC Member

2 harlequins consumed one start fish / week (diameter of start fish 5 cm), i feed 1 for 2 shrimps / every 2 weeks.

here is its nano tank

harlequin1.jpg

(just something on the side of this topic)Do u put in the starfish whole or arm by arm? cus i experience when the arm is cut it will foul the water

H. picta has been reared through larval stages in at least 2 places. For best health feed blue linckia. I have found other starfish like sandshifting stars lead to premature deaths.

1) Hawaii

2) Japan

Hi FuEI, startfish picture would be great help.

would you give more info on two stages of H. Picta larval ? I have just bought Xoophankton, roctifer and phytoplankton (reefmax) and wonder if it would help ?

Hi Sea Cucumber: as i have many shrimps, i have to cut arm by arm, i feed once every week than left them hungry enough to finish it soonest. 10% water chance + reefmax super bacteria follow.

Hi FuEI, startfish picture would be great help.

would you give more info on two stages of H. Picta larval ? I have just bought Xoophankton, roctifer and phytoplankton (reefmax) and wonder if it would help ?

Hi Sea Cucumber: as i have many shrimps, i have to cut arm by arm, i feed once every week than left them hungry enough to finish it soonest. 10% water chance + reefmax super bacteria follow.

The food is not the issue. You need a kreisel system to raise these guys. I never had one & I never got them beyond 5 days.