low-iron glass

vt_snowman87

• SRC Member

hi reefers,

i'm in the midst of considering using low-iron glass for my new tanks, just the display side..

wanna find out if anyone here has experiences with them care to share? or knows anyone who are currently using low-iron glass?

wanna know the pros and cons.. and also recommendation for tank makers if any..

previously i custom made my from KwongLin framemakers at kelantan street, pretty satisfied, esp with the price..

cheers,

vincent

• SRC Member

Price wise is high esp for anything above the standard 12 mm,

E.g a 3ft 12 mm 3 side low iron tank cost around 400 but a 15mm can cost u near 1k. (need to check with tank maker)

Clarity..

very clear infact i find it too bright esp when my 10 tubes of t5 fire up.

Low iron

scratch easily so u have to exercise great CARE...

however after said this..

u shld do a low iron shallow tank. join me in the shallow tank club

• Like 1

I am just an average FR (fish reefing) writer. If you like my FRs, please upz my points.

• SRC Member

thanks bro zorden, i'm thinking i wun need anything more than 12mm also.. and most prob only 1 side low-iron.. bro ur tank is low-iron? maybe can visit u one day to see the effect? :)

my new setup definitely a shallow, just that now contemplating whether ornot it is worth it to get low-iron on display side.. hmm...

• SRC Member

thanks bro zorden, i'm thinking i wun need anything more than 12mm also.. and most prob only 1 side low-iron.. bro ur tank is low-iron? maybe can visit u one day to see the effect? :)

my new setup definitely a shallow, just that now contemplating whether ornot it is worth it to get low-iron on display side.. hmm...

LOW iron is GOOD... well mine is low iron glass. 12 mm. but i don think its safe to have a 12 mm for a big tank.

check this out

I am just an average FR (fish reefing) writer. If you like my FRs, please upz my points.

• Sponsor

hi bro,

im building some 1.5ft cube with crystal clear glass for my new project. Maybe you can take a look at this when its completed by this week.

cheers

• SRC Member

What's the difference between low iron, starphire and crystal clear? Are they the same thing, with different brand or industry name?

My 1.5ft nano cube

My 24G nano tank (Decommed)

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.

And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

-- Jack Handey

• SRC Member

http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&order=ASC&topic_id=25135&forum=14&move=prev

Reduced Iron Glass: Two main brands of reduced iron glass seem to be available for mainstream aquarium construction. ‘Optiwhite’ made by Pilkington and ‘Starphire’ made by PPG. They both offer superior optical performance when compared to conventional float glass, higher light transmission, greater clarity and absence of the ‘green’ tint common in float glass tanks. They are though much, much more expensive, in some cases up to 4 or 5 times as much depending on the size sheet.

• SRC Member

hi bro,

im building some 1.5ft cube with crystal clear glass for my new project. Maybe you can take a look at this when its completed by this week.

cheers

Starphire's like a brand of low iron glass. Sometimes marketed as better than low iron, but it's the same.

thanks bros for the input, and i'm sure a few of us here have understood much more abt low iron glass after this sharing session.. bro zorden and bro DE, will arrange to see if i can drop by take a look.. thanks bros!

• SRC Member

Well, VT, our tank is 3 sided low iron, it's very clear and nice but expensive.. esp if you go beyond 12mm, which is the reason why we opted for 4 ft vs original idea of 5 ft.

hi Ketchup, does urs scratch easily?

Bro, Maybe you can try vincent (aquarium artist)... He can get good quality low iron glass if not wrong...

hi bro terry, nice seeing u again just now, long time no see.. thanks for the info bro.. :)

• SRC Member

Low iron scratch easier then normal float glass. :)

thats what i read up on too.. but i'm interested to know HOW EASILY.. haha whether ornot it is worth it.. hm.. how abt it being tempered ornot?

look... no leg..s. ... ...

Plexiglas:

Impressive with it’s brilliant optic, convincing with it’s light weight and ready to be formed, to make individual ideas real. The design and construction of aquariums and terrariums with PLEXIGLAS® as basic material, compared to glass, gives very different and much more possibilities.

Advantages of PLEXIGLAS :

•colorless it has a translucence of never beaten 92%

•very little blur, because of the very low refraction

•it is very light; it’s specific weight is just 1,19 g/cm3

•best thermic isolation attributes

•high stiffness, high impact resistance, checked durability

•a special adhesive technology ensures a stable and steady connections

•easy formability for a high amount of creative freedom

post-2836-12706539121139_thumb.jpg

can you imagine everytime you need to clean the tank, it will be swinging from left to right??? yikes!

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member

Sounds like an awesome product! Just the top of my head, some considerations for Plexiglas:

1. Is it available in Singapore for hobbyist purchase?

2. Is it comparable in price to low iron glass or acrylic?

3. Does it warp easily?

Maybe we can have another tank glass entering the aqua-marine market in singapore! Although I'm pretty sure it will be a toy for the rich :P

• SRC Member

thats what i read up on too.. but i'm interested to know HOW EASILY.. haha whether ornot it is worth it.. hm.. how abt it being tempered ornot?

ei.. u need to find other reefer tank to test.. not mine... :P

• SRC Member

if im not wrong, plexiglass is a kind of acrylic marketed. the material used is polymethyl methacrylate (PMMA) so it belongs to the plastic category. and yes, it will be expensive.

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

if im not wrong, plexiglass is a kind of acrylic marketed. the material used is polymethyl methacrylate (PMMA) so it belongs to the plastic category. and yes, it will be expensive.

yup

just checked plexiglas ==> acrylic.

http://www.plexiglas-shop.com/DE/en/about_us/plexiglas-sup-sup-information-opn6ydpjhhk.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poly(methyl_methacrylate)

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

• SRC Member

darn, im good :lol:

kidding kidding :P

some interesting facts to share. PMMA was the first material used for contact lense. it was first discovered during WW2 that PMMA is some what bio inert when a pilot's eye got hit by a fragment from his fighter plane window panel and the pilot's body didnt have much rejection to that material.

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

some interesting facts to share. PMMA was the first material used for contact lense. it was first discovered during WW2 that PMMA is some what bio inert when a pilot's eye got hit by a fragment from his fighter plane window panel and the pilot's body didnt have much rejection to that material.

must be case studies from your medical field :P