How to Star Polyps

Terryz_

Hi all..

First time keeping star polyps.

It seems easy for other reefers but after 2 weeks it is still not opening.

It is at full extension at the LFS.

Any suggestion to get it to open?

It is in moderate flow under 2x T5s..

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

Hi all..

First time keeping star polyps.

It seems easy for other reefers but after 2 weeks it is still not opening.

It is at full extension at the LFS.

Any suggestion to get it to open?

It is in moderate flow under 2x T5s..

I placed them under highlight and good flow.

they tend to open a bit more when you have swaying current going their way.

mine is opened since day 1 till now.

I have heard from some reefers that their star polyps sometimes suddenly close up for a few days then reopen.

I have not experience the same yet..... touch wood.

but not opening for 2 weeks seems like a pretty long time. :(

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

There are 3 reasons why your polyps may not be opening.

1. The polyps may have not acclimatised to your tank. But 2 weeks is really quite a long time..

2. Your nitrate and phosphate levels are high

3. There may be parasites bothering your polyps. Check for small moving things crawling on your polyps. Dip them.

There are 3 reasons why your polyps may not be opening.

1. The polyps may have not acclimatised to your tank. But 2 weeks is really quite a long time..

2. Your nitrate and phosphate levels are high

3. There may be parasites bothering your polyps. Check for small moving things crawling on your polyps. Dip them.

Hmmm.. Might be NO3 and PO4 issues den... Since it is in my holding tank... Will see how it does for another week... But the star polyps frags that drop off are opening leh... :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Member of:

• SRC Member

My star polyps had a hard time opening up too when I first bought them, but give it some time and it should blossom. As long as the stalks doesn't have stuff restricting polyp extension (ie. cobweb-like stuff - not a good sign, likely to be dying, algae - manually remove as much as you can, etc), they should be good.

My star polyps had a hard time opening up too when I first bought them, but give it some time and it should blossom. As long as the stalks doesn't have stuff restricting polyp extension (ie. cobweb-like stuff - not a good sign, likely to be dying, algae - manually remove as much as you can, etc), they should be good.

They are quite clean... Just dunno why they dun open... Will give them another week before I frag them to see if it works since the frag is doing well..

Member of:

Getting them to open is one thing, see them open full bloom, then close for 2 weeks, and open again, repeat a couple of weeks... now that's weird. Happened to mine before. Doing fine now.

Okay, I will just ignore it for now... And see how it goes...

Member of:

• SRC Member

my star polyps opened up since day 1..

i placed it right on top of my LR close to the lights..

recently there was a period when my NO3 and PO4 went up due to my negligence,

my GSP stopped opening and algae stuff was on it..

like what peacemaker said, i manually removed them..

the next day, it started to open..

IMO, star polyps should be quite strong..

initially when i first placed the frag onto my LR it kept falling onto the sandbed because the wave directing towards it was quite strong,

but i noticed even after it fell onto the sandbed, the polyps were still fully open..

all the best, hope it opens soon B)

My Decomissioned 2ft Cube: (31st March 2011)

Carpe Diem~!!!

My Current 4ft X 2ft X 2ft:

• SRC Member

Just my experience.

my star polyps took 3+ weeks to open. Originally thought that it was a lost cause, but just left it alone coz I already glued it onto my rock. One fine day I was looking at my tank's algae and thinking how on earth should I get rid of my red slime... lo and behold! It's finally opened up! :)

So just leave it there, as long as the skin doesn't rot or get swamped by algae growth, it should open up.

• Senior Reefer

main problem should be flow and alleleopathy (sp check).

star polyps quite temperemental. but easy when acclimated. place in good flow and dont put other corals around it. they tend to be quite sensitive to certain corals if placed within close proximity.

• Senior Reefer

wah sis you back liao ar

yup :) lovely trip. i'm sad to leave India, and even more sad that i had a bad impression of it before i even went. it was super fun. the work they made me do there was awesome lah. and the places we stayed in. i have at least 5000 photos to filter through and facebook them. dun wanna talk about it here :) can chat about it on msn or facebook if u want.

• 2 weeks later...

similar thing happened to my colony in my old 3ft tank.

It was an algae problem

Lost the pretty much the whole lot lest a few tiny survivors..

they too got killed when the Anemone Death = tank crash happened.

Sigh..

FOWLR Tank : Decom

Invert Tank: Decom

Current Tank: 2 ft with 2ft sump, 2 pyjama Cardinals, 1 Watchman Goby, 8 sand gobies, common saltwater shrimps, 3 turbo snails. 1 super green paly

• 2 weeks later...