what i did in india. for 20 days.

yikai

• Senior Reefer

another team of students two years ago came to india to build a bio-fuel hut for the village workers. where cow dung is fermented and methane gas is produced to power stoves and light. the left over cow dung after the fermentation is used as fertilizers for crops

here, a woman is loading cow dung into the chute. with her bare hands. something i bet no one in singapore will ever do. right?

post-15755-12706265680264_thumb.jpg

• Senior Reefer

livestock also play an important role for the villagers of india. goats and cows are found in almost every house.

will stop here for now. upload more photos later

post-15755-12706266459246_thumb.jpg

post-15755-12706266507935_thumb.jpg

post-15755-12706266579739_thumb.jpg

We also, swam in a well, taught the local kids in schools, and donated many computers and help set them up.

WA! thats a huge well man!

• SRC Member

harvesting of crops to sell. mushrooms. tomatoes, and the last picture is of some cashews.

wow, white rhodactic, multicolour yuma and green lobo..very beautiful ;)

God Blessed all who appreciate His wonderful and beautiful creations.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my first reef aquarium 15jan2010

3x2x2ft EOS 10mm tank with sump//deltec sc2060 skimmer//arctica 1/10hp chiller

maxpect g2 170w led//vortech mp40w wavemaker//eheim 1262 universal pump

eheim compact+ 3000 chiller pump//caribsea ocean direct live sands 40lbs

and other misc...

one of the tasks we had to do was dig trenches in the ground, 10 ft x 3ft x 3ft if i remember correctly. this rectangular trench is to be used to grow mushrooms. a metal grame is then added after completion and then a blue poly cover is placed over. took us 10 days to dig 2 holes manually, with basic tools. the other 8 holes were machine dug.

I don't understand the logic of this. 8 holes machine dug and you guys had to dig 2 holes manually? Could have just used the machine for the remaining 2 holes. Perhaps if that was the case the remaining 2 holes could have been completed in a day. Talking about wasting resources, they did not fully utilize you guys. :P

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

I don't understand the logic of this. 8 holes machine dug and you guys had to dig 2 holes manually? Could have just used the machine for the remaining 2 holes. Perhaps if that was the case the remaining 2 holes could have been completed in a day. Talking about wasting resources, they did not fully utilize you guys. :P

Hahah... I thought of the same thing too! Perhaps its just like the army concept? Trenches can be machine dug, but they still want you to dig your own, for the sake of training. For Lemon's case, more for experiencing the "hardship".

the well looks fun!

was the water clean?

keke... you definitely should not go there Kiko. Cannot survive wan... same as me... muahahaha

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• Senior Reefer

yes of course. plenty of things we did there had no logic. we were told to do to let us experience what the folks in india do all the time. which is, manually digging holes etc without machines. if they were to machine dig everything, it defeated the purpose of us going there anyway.

truth is, not everyone in india can afford machines. alot of times, we yue bang yue mang. because we were so inefficient compared to the locals. but it was for the experience.

• SRC Member

Awesome pictures bro! Good that the trip went well and that you had a blast. Cos if I'm not wrong I remember a certain someone telling me 2 months ago that the trip is a stupid waste of time that he is not looking forward to! Hahaha, glad to see it was a life-changing trip. :upsidedown:

My 1.5ft nano cube

My 24G nano tank (Decommed)

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.

And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

-- Jack Handey

• Senior Reefer

Awesome pictures bro! Good that the trip went well and that you had a blast. Cos if I'm not wrong I remember a certain someone telling me 2 months ago that the trip is a stupid waste of time that he is not looking forward to! Hahaha, glad to see it was a life-changing trip. :upsidedown:

WAH? WHO SAID THAT? :P

anyway yes, it was very worth it. i started breaking down on the 19th day when i suddenly remember local food but nevertheless, i wish the trip was longer. more photos to come soon. tagging them on facebook now first.

• Senior Reefer

I can see that you have a "fruitfull" trip in India full of "fruit" and " veg"... :P

BTW, which one in the photo is your "lady of your heart" ? Heehee

don't have lah! lol. all just friends. :)

• SRC Member

I can see that you have a "fruitfull" trip in India full of "fruit" and " veg"... :P

BTW, which one in the photo is your "lady of your heart" ? Heehee

HAHAHAHA :eyebrow:

Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.

Member of:
www.marineaquarist.sg

• Senior Reefer

As requested, more group photos!

first photo in a temple. very big and grand, entirely hand built,carved and painted with great detail. i got the red hat free from a friend! i love it tons.

2nd picture is at the peak of the elephant temple. climbed like tons of stairs. run for my $. wore my favourite black shirt with the red angry face! tore a hole in it while in india. so sad..

3rd photo at a picture stop on the way up the mountain in kotagiri. cool and scenic. mountains and mountains of tea plantations! one of the nicest sceneries i ever laid eyes on.

4th picture at a mushroom farm.

5th and 6th picture at the tip of kotagiri, at a nature reserve. max temp 19 deg, lowest 0 deg.

post-15755-12707518503016_thumb.jpg

post-15755-12707518555059_thumb.jpg

post-15755-12707518623638_thumb.jpg

post-15755-12707518737445_thumb.jpg

post-15755-12707518808999_thumb.jpg

post-15755-12707518872835_thumb.jpg

• SRC Member

its really good to enjoy your poly days. don be like me working part time and miss the fun part of my academic life. working is not fun esp with long hrs of entertaining clients, beer after beer and the same boring food.. how i wish i can just go back to my sec sch day

I am just an average FR (fish reefing) writer. If you like my FRs, please upz my points.