Lemon's butterflyfish dominated reef

yikai

• Senior Reefer

Rhomboid pics are always so nice, but when i keep it it's so dull in person. I'm now thinking of a way to keep the lineatus tone and slim.

when i kept it it did look as nice as the photos. but the colours are enhanced in dim lighting like actinics.

my rhomboid was very tone initially. but got super obese towards my final months of reefing in my old tank. it just kept gorging food even biting huge chunks of prawns (but not like yours LOL. it didn't tear it's mouth).

i think feed less and frequent meals better. no experience with lineatus. never kept them before. missed 6 shipments. no fate with this fish at all.

Hooded from RB recently is the aussie hooded. Vanuatu hooded is nicer and more common but now no vanuatu shipment liao!

Majorie is from Fiji, if LCK can get Fiji colini i dun see why fiji majorie cant reach us!

Pintail is from cebu, so near to us and yet so many of them are flown all the way to US instead of coming to us!

Oh, The rosy fin ah? I always like that also...

Again, it is the demand and price we are willing to pay..

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• Senior Reefer

I know!!!. You can pee in your tank!!!

:sick: :sick: :sick:

LOL!

i think it's coz i turned on my skimmer for 2 days. was testing the water level and making sure it can skim properly. but i forgot to turn off lol..

i just poured back all my skimmate :D

• Senior Reefer

I am still wondering if you have enough hiding space for your fishes?

have but not alot.

especially at the back. but i can't take photo from that angle.

hopefully when put coral will have more hiding space.

actually maybe i can put more low lying rocks just for hiding spaces :)

• SRC Member

fear not, this time round for such a volume increased. you will get better in keeping fishes successfully.

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

I agree with bro. Terryz. You will get to that stage again really soon! and then you will be lamenting that you should gotten a bigger tank! (:

Anyway bro, why do you want to see an ammonia spike and why do you pour back your skimmate? I thought skimmate's like full of toxins and junk? by doing that, ain't you killing yourself and your tank?

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

• Senior Reefer

I agree with bro. Terryz. You will get to that stage again really soon! and then you will be lamenting that you should gotten a bigger tank! (:

Anyway bro, why do you want to see an ammonia spike and why do you pour back your skimmate? I thought skimmate's like full of toxins and junk? by doing that, ain't you killing yourself and your tank?

i want to track the rate and how fast it takes for ammonia to get to nitrates. wanted to do this for my old tank but never had a chance.

it's more of a personal sciency thingy i wanna do. nothing tank related.

skimmate? if nothing toxic was added in the tank, nothing toxic should accumulate. skimmate contains organics and proteins that are skimmed out before they are broken down in the tank. so putting it back in should cause no problem and not the extreme of "killing yourself and killing your tank"

people's skimmer overflow all the time and i had countless of times where skimmate flowed back into the tank.

• Senior Reefer

strange..

after 5 prawns which have all decomposed, my ammonia is only 0.25

tested nitrates at 50ppm haha.

this is the weirdest cycle ever. any who, i'll just leave it for 3 weeks :)

• Senior Reefer

do you have a lot "live" rocks and sand?

when cycling my office tank, ammonia and nitrite were undetectable

nitrate reading increase steadily to 20ppm

i only have 70kg of liverock and i did not use livesand at all.

well if mine is the case as yours, i would expect to find tons of NO3 coz i threw in so many prawns :P

• Senior Reefer

anyways, my lighting will come probably end of next week if there are no delays.

I'm using 2x 250W MH, 10k BLV bulbs.

to counter the potential yellow-ness, have opt for 4 tubes of blue T5, 39W. even though my tank is 3.5ft, i'm using 3ft T5s.

T5 will be 2 at the front and 2 at the back. is the blue tubes enough to counter the yellow from 10k?

Anyone can share if this is good enough? Any comments on lighting choice? understand that electricity bill and heat will go up due to the usage of MH.

other than that, is the lighting going to be sufficient, insufficient etc?

anyways, my lighting will come probably end of next week if there are no delays.

I'm using 2x 250W MH, 10k BLV bulbs.

to counter the potential yellow-ness, have opt for 4 tubes of blue T5, 39W. even though my tank is 3.5ft, i'm using 3ft T5s.

T5 will be 2 at the front and 2 at the back. is the blue tubes enough to counter the yellow from 10k?

Anyone can share if this is good enough? Any comments on lighting choice? understand that electricity bill and heat will go up due to the usage of MH.

other than that, is the lighting going to be sufficient, insufficient etc?

bro, what's the size of your reflector? can give us some dimensions? (:

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

• Senior Reefer

it's been more than a week and ammonia, nitrite is 0 since day 1. despite 6 market prawns.

no spike in ammonia and nitrite for more than week. There's an abundant bloom of pods on the rocks and glass which indicates a healthy system so far. the remaining macroalgae on the liverocks which died off initially is regrowing back although slowly. i will soon remove them manually anyway or let my fish eat them up. cycling is technically over. why so fast? i still have no idea...

It's safe to add fish now, although i would usually wait a week or two. this time i threw caution to the wind. I added a pair of very special fishes today.

It's not advisable to add such fishes so soon even after such parameters though. If need be, add easier fishes like chromis etc first. i believe i'm experienced enough to care for this particular fish so i'm willing to take the risk. besides, it's not everyday you chance upon a feeding pair and they usually don't hang around in the LFS for long.

btw, they're stable and feeding at 1 week old after shipping. here's a sneak peek. they're feeding on cyclopeeze and frozen polychaete worms already (-:

post-15755-12776469002662_thumb.jpg

post-15755-12776469085287_thumb.jpg

Multibar, v difficult fish also. I admire your undying spirit in trying these high failure rate fishes. Wish u success and hope your tank will turn out to be something like Iwarna's Angelfish tank. I saw it yesterday and the their tank is awesome!

• Senior Reefer

Multibar, v difficult fish also. I admire your undying spirit in trying these high failure rate fishes. Wish u success and hope your tank will turn out to be something like Iwarna's Angelfish tank. I saw it yesterday and the their tank is awesome!

yes finally saw it for yourself huh? nice right haha.

hmm.. yeah the multibar is a difficult fish but definitely not as difficult as colini and golden.

the good thing is both are feeding, and being first to be introduced should give them a giant headstart. the entire 183 gallon tank with 70kg of liverock is all to themselves now.

this time, there's no excuse for death. they're in a tank with proper circulation and skimmer, feeding, peaceful setting, tons of liverock.

my only fear is not being able to feed them in a big tank without over-flooding.

• Senior Reefer

Where are the blennies??? Any news on RB on them?

the blennies are in my sump.

they are not feeding yet, and terryz one also not feeding. how are yours?

no news from RB or GBD. i emailed them at 3am last night so i will wait a few more days. it's the weekend afterall.