Lemon's butterflyfish dominated reef

yikai

• Senior Reefer

ah! finally know why my marjorie is so timid!

the cebu pylei is harrasing it. flashing and flaring. although the cebu pylei is more beautiful compared to the marjorie, in terms of finnage and colours, i must give it up.

for it is such a common and cheap fish and i won't let it kill my rare marjorie. i've removed it and the marjorie is swimming out and about now, albeit with superficial injuries like 1 or 2 missing scales, which will heal in a couple of days

it's well known that cebu pyleis are aggressive, but i thought in a 183 gallon tank it would be better. obviously not.

so. alpha male cebu pylei for sale. anyone interested? :)

• SRC Member

Must put indicative price so buyer could decide. However, have you tried placing a mirror on 1 side of the tank to distract the alpha male? I've also experience a cheap $9 green wrasse killing 2 radiant wrasse, a mystery wrasse, a few leopard wrasse and so on and so forth wrasses including a yellow coris wrasse that it grew up together with.

• Senior Reefer

Must put indicative price so buyer could decide. However, have you tried placing a mirror on 1 side of the tank to distract the alpha male? I've also experience a cheap $9 green wrasse killing 2 radiant wrasse, a mystery wrasse, a few leopard wrasse and so on and so forth wrasses including a yellow coris wrasse that it grew up together with.

there's already a sales thread in pasar malam.

no, mirror is not much use for fairy wrasses. while it will distract the alpha male, the main importance is the one being subjected to stress. so long as the alpha male is around causing trouble, the submissive one will not come out to feed.

unless the alpha male is taken out, or the alpha male decides not to chase the submissive one. even so, it will take awhile for the submissive one to re-emerge again.

it's not as easy as tangs. unlike tangs, fairy wrasses will hide when stressed, and prolong stress will cause it to hide permanently, starving the fish.

every fish is different, every genus is different. thus, each fish will require different approach.

i could just let them fight and see if it will subside, but i won't risk my expensive marjorie wrasse against a cebu pylei. marjorie is super rare and this is singapore's debut shipment for it.

so i won't take the risk :)

anyway, it's out and about now eating very well. so i will try to get some photos of it later.

• Senior Reefer

finally! pics of Cirrhilabrus marjorie.

sorry for the blur pictures. the roseafascia is very interested in it. i hope the roseafascia develops into an alpha male now that it has a new "play mate"

post-15755-096508300 1279602640_thumb.jp

post-15755-014152500 1279602648_thumb.jp

post-15755-069248700 1279602652_thumb.jp

finally! pics of Cirrhilabrus marjorie.

sorry for the blur pictures. the roseafascia is very interested in it. i hope the roseafascia develops into an alpha male now that it has a new "play mate"

I dunno why but not as stunning as I have expected... Might give it a pass..

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• Senior Reefer

I dunno why but not as stunning as I have expected... Might give it a pass..

this fish is like that.

it's an acquired taste and it's not the "omg. look at that rhomboid! flame wrasse!" kind of beautiful. it's a different kind of beauty.

of course you cannot compare to the photo i posted. generally, both are exactly the same except the internet photo is much darker and intense. wild specimen, alpha male, photoshop? i dunno.

still one of my favourite wrasses. the tail is lunated and that's very unique for a cirrhilabrus. only a few sport lunated tails.

my marjorie is the same size as digiman's one, and although i've never seen his, i will assume it looks like mine. this is considered very good standard as far as marjorie go. of all the marjorie specimens i've seen circulating the internet, this is by far one of the best few. even better than the ones liveaquaria was selling.

Law's one should be even nicer since his was the biggest. but so far he has not posted a photo of his yet.

this fish is like that.

it's an acquired taste and it's not the "omg. look at that rhomboid! flame wrasse!" kind of beautiful. it's a different kind of beauty.

of course you cannot compare to the photo i posted. generally, both are exactly the same except the internet photo is much darker and intense. wild specimen, alpha male, photoshop? i dunno.

still one of my favourite wrasses. the tail is lunated and that's very unique for a cirrhilabrus. only a few sport lunated tails.

my marjorie is the same size as digiman's one, and although i've never seen his, i will assume it looks like mine. this is considered very good standard as far as marjorie go. of all the marjorie specimens i've seen circulating the internet, this is by far one of the best few. even better than the ones liveaquaria was selling.

Law's one should be even nicer since his was the biggest. but so far he has not posted a photo of his yet.

Actually I feel that the color not that intense leh.. LOL.. I like it but the quality not really up to standard or is it your lighting?

Member of:

• Senior Reefer

Actually I feel that the color not that intense leh.. LOL.. I like it but the quality not really up to standard or is it your lighting?

maybe my lighting bah. the MH cause alot of glare when take photo. nvm later i try again.

it's definitely a good specimen, as only bigger males have a yellow tail. sub-terminal males have a red tail.

• Senior Reefer

this is the best i can do.

post-15755-001031500 1279631103_thumb.jp

post-15755-066432100 1279631107_thumb.jp

post-15755-062485300 1279631112_thumb.jp

• Senior Reefer

this is the best i can do.

compare it with hiroyuki tanaka's photo and liveaquaria one.

all look similar. this is the natural colour i think. the original photo i posted from the internet could be over saturated?

dr. tanaka one is more intense. maybe mine is not that alpha yet

post-15755-018565900 1279631244_thumb.jp

post-15755-093901300 1279631248_thumb.jp

all look similar. this is the natural colour i think. the original photo i posted from the internet could be over saturated?

I am looking for Dr. Tanaka standard.. LOL... His is super nice.. I think it is not that alpha yet...

Member of:

• Senior Reefer

I am looking for Dr. Tanaka standard.. LOL... His is super nice.. I think it is not that alpha yet...

dr tanaka 1 is very alpha but if you compare it with the first photo i posted, it still lose out.

the firs photo i posted from internet is a wild shot and probably a really terminal male. so i think we cannot compare bah. and it probably was photoshop oso.

tanaka's 1 is very nice. i think mine not that standard yet coz the red and white is not as outstanding as his. but at least mine has a yellow tail. the one on liveaquaria does not even have a yellow tail.

• Senior Reefer

one last photo of it for now.

realied it's right pectoral fin is hurt. hope it heals. pectoral injuries usually take a long time. the "soft rays" there are harder.

post-15755-039164900 1279635989_thumb.jp

• SRC Member

Bro, just be happy with your purchase lah. Standard or not, you have 1 of 4 of the fish that reach this island. I would be happy if I could own something like this, standard or not. How much does this fish cost if I may ask?

• Senior Reefer

Bro, just be happy with your purchase lah. Standard or not, you have 1 of 4 of the fish that reach this island. I would be happy if I could own something like this, standard or not. How much does this fish cost if I may ask?

i don't give two hoots about the standard lah haha. this is one of my favourite wrasse that i've been hunting for so long. i'm extremely contented and on top of the world right now. even if you give me female i will be very happy.

but since terryz ask why my specimen's colour does not stand out, i'm just comparing mine with some of the internet photos available to see and conclude why.

i'm a very simple person and when it comes to wrasses, i usually don't take the biggest and most beautiful. experienced wrasse keepers know that large alpha specimens don't adapt as well. :thumbsup:

anyway this fish cost me 20 red notes. and i have 2. just collected a smaller one from digiman as he decided to keep only one.

• Senior Reefer

Wow... Now u got a pair... Double dragon or i can say double marjorie... Cool....

see how first.

the one that was passed to me by digiman is still a male. will see how both react to each other tomorrow.

the new marjorie i received had 2 blood filled parasitic isopods in it's mouth. did a FW dipped and they crawled out of the mouth like some disgusting horror movie. i returned it back to the tank after it and it went to hide.

i hope there's no more pods in it's mouth.

see how first.

the one that was passed to me by digiman is still a male. will see how both react to each other tomorrow.

the new marjorie i received had 2 blood filled parasitic isopods in it's mouth. did a FW dipped and they crawled out of the mouth like some disgusting horror movie. i returned it back to the tank after it and it went to hide.

i hope there's no more pods in it's mouth.

lemonlemon, how did u know that there is parasite in their mouth ? it is visible when it open it's mouth ?

• Senior Reefer

lemonlemon, how did u know that there is parasite in their mouth ? it is visible when it open it's mouth ?

yep. parasiic isopods are very large and very visible.

they look like little cockroaches. they have two large eyes and are usually found on fish body or in their mouth.

yep. parasiic isopods are very large and very visible.

they look like little cockroaches. they have two large eyes and are usually found on fish body or in their mouth.

ooo.. okok .. maybe i should take a look at my fish tmr when the lights are on. thanks for the tips.

:thumbsup: damn nice this one! hahaha :P

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

• Senior Reefer

hey lemon any purchases today?

Snowing in your house now?

hi mossrope :)

nice meeting you again ha!.

nope, did not get the snow basslet. although a very rare fish and possibly one of the first few ever to be exported out of the carribean, i did not get it. actually if i did, i could probably get on glassbox design lol.

the price is actually cheaper than those in the states. but still abit too pricey for me and i'm not really interested in it as much as wrasses or butterflies/angels.

so nope. din get it. maybe digiman will! and i hope he does.

i only bought 2 cleaner shrimps and 2 blood shrimps.

look so miniscule in my tank. maybe i should get 2 more of each.