Lemon's butterflyfish dominated reef

yikai

• Senior Reefer

most dottybacks are aggressive to a certain extent. it's very difficult to find an entirely peaceful dottyback.

tapeinosoma dottyback is considered quite ok by dottyback standards.

anyway i've received email from Dr. anthony gill. it is indeed a tapeinosoma dottyback but an unusual colour variation. and it's not a new species.

i've written a short article on it as my debut glassbox-design post. i've submitted it for vetting already.

• Senior Reefer

Macropharyngodon choati

This is the choat's leopard wrasse. An Australian species that is seldom seen here. It's also found in New Caledonia, off the north east of Australia. There was a period of time where it kept appearing many times during Australia shipments but now they have seem to stop coming.

This one was bought from HK. A reefing friend of mine just came back from HK and bought one for me. Thanks bro if you're reading. Unbelievably cheap in HK.

The choat's leopard wrasse is considered by many to be one of the most difficult leopard wrasses to keep. This and the potter's leopard wrasse are the top two in terms of difficulty. With a near 95% death rate.

I've tried a few times and this will be my last. It's a healthy specimen, pecking at rocks and showing interest in food. but no feeding yet. It has a little bit of torn fins which should recover nicely with good water parameters so i'm not overly worried about it.

The minute it starts feeding i will have to de-worm it using praziquantel. They almost always arrive with internal parasites and not de-worming them is almost a death sentence. But until it starts feeding, i can't do anything.

this specimen has a rather large blue operculur spot on it's cheek.

post-15755-0-50793600-1296011350_thumb.j

• Senior Reefer

wow, really sweet looking bro :thumbsup:

saw your name on glassbox this morning :welldone:

thanks. unfortunately a real heartbreaker as it's extremely difficult to keep.

ah yes. the tapeinosoma dottyback was my debut glassbox design article.

you'll be seeing more posts from me in time to come.

• SRC Member

thanks. unfortunately a real heartbreaker as it's extremely difficult to keep.

ah yes. the tapeinosoma dottyback was my debut glassbox design article.

you'll be seeing more posts from me in time to come.

yeah, i've read some deaths even only a few days. but on the other hand some are successful. they bury in sand at night ?

25 Gal Micro Ocean

• Senior Reefer

yeah, i've read some deaths even only a few days. but on the other hand some are successful. they bury in sand at night ?

yes. there is some success. in fact it's not impossible. just need to be lucky and anything but absolute luxury will spell doom for it.

and de-worm it! i cannot stress this enough. even if your choat's leopard is feeding like a horse, u need to feed it praziquantel to remove internal parasites. this is very high mortality rate.

in this video you can see many choati leopard wrasses. this is liveaquaria's show tank in rhinelander. it's their mix reef tank.

and yes, as with all leopard wrasses, they need a relatively thick layer of fine sand (grade 0 or 1 only) to bury in.

liveaquaria's video on top is keeping them in barebottom tank though... so i guess it's not a MUST. but it's definitely much better in helping them settle down and facilitate tank life.

• Senior Reefer

cool ... bro, on the parasites, is this also a normal thing for them in the wild ?

and once de-wormed, needs to be done again later ?

yes. the internal parasites are always within the fish even in the wild. but the stress of capture, the limited feedings and everything in our tanks exacerbate the problem. in the wild the fish is stress free and feeds alot and any time it wants. so it's really not a problem for it to live hand in hand.

de worm for one course and then no need liao. if you see it still getting thinner despite numerous feeding, then de-worm again. choat's leopard wrasse comes from australia and the australians do not use cyanide to catch their fish. they are very pro-nature.

so if the fish is getting slimmer despite feeding, it's most probably internal. so deworm de worm deworm!!

i only deworm wrasses and certain angels. rest of my fish i don't. but when i feed food soaked in praziquantel, everyone gets to eat it. so it's a win win.

• SRC Member

yes. the internal parasites are always within the fish even in the wild. but the stress of capture, the limited feedings and everything in our tanks exacerbate the problem. in the wild the fish is stress free and feeds alot and any time it wants. so it's really not a problem for it to live hand in hand.

de worm for one course and then no need liao. if you see it still getting thinner despite numerous feeding, then de-worm again. choat's leopard wrasse comes from australia and the australians do not use cyanide to catch their fish. they are very pro-nature.

so if the fish is getting slimmer despite feeding, it's most probably internal. so deworm de worm deworm!!

i only deworm wrasses and certain angels. rest of my fish i don't. but when i feed food soaked in praziquantel, everyone gets to eat it. so it's a win win.

good tip .... thanks bro

25 Gal Micro Ocean

• Senior Reefer

btw, where to get praziquantel bro, and how do you soak ?

iwarna sells praziquantel.

just pour some into a little cup or spoon, and put your pellets, defrosted mysis, anything into it and soak for about 10-15 minutes.

praziquantel is a medication used for treating internal parasites and flukes. i've found success in using it for internal prasites, but it failed terribly in eradicating flukes. so now i only use it for internal parasite treatments.

• SRC Member

iwarna sells praziquantel.

just pour some into a little cup or spoon, and put your pellets, defrosted mysis, anything into it and soak for about 10-15 minutes.

praziquantel is a medication used for treating internal parasites and flukes. i've found success in using it for internal prasites, but it failed terribly in eradicating flukes. so now i only use it for internal parasite treatments.

and you do this for treatment only, or maintenance as well ?

25 Gal Micro Ocean

• SRC Member

you can deworm it in the main tank also.

just feed the fishes in the main tank with the food soaked in praziquantel.

Ic.. so it harmless to deworm the rest even if they may or may not be infected then :)

I think will try this the next time we add in any fishes..

• SRC Member

Ic.. so it harmless to deworm the rest even if they may or may not be infected then :)

I think will try this the next time we add in any fishes..

maybe can try with your existing fishes already :) also dunno if they are infected or not ... maybe got but resistance is ok and water params ok as well, so not much harm being done, but still need to remove ... ? :blink:

25 Gal Micro Ocean

• Senior Reefer

Soaking mysis in prazi had a interesting effect on my angels. They bite, but spit it out. Probably not used to the "flavor"? Other fishes have no issues. Clownfishes are just pigs...

probably. it takes awhile.

i've fed prazi so many times that my declivis butterfly eats the pure white praziquantel residue. so technically i pour prazi in my tank and it will eat up all the white stuff.. -_-

how's your multicolor? ok?

• SRC Member

Its doing well, currently the dominant angel of two in the tank. The other, if I didn't ID wrongly, should be a Centropyge multispinis. Haven't seen it feed yet, but it is only the 2nd day, so I'll continue to monitor. Curious little fella though.

• Senior Reefer

Its doing well, currently the dominant angel of two in the tank. The other, if I didn't ID wrongly, should be a Centropyge multispinis. Haven't seen it feed yet, but it is only the 2nd day, so I'll continue to monitor. Curious little fella though.

centropyge multispinis? you like this fish?

not many people like this fish coz of the dull lack luster colouration. but some specimens can look quite nice.

multispinis is rather shy and abit cryptic. it will take some time before it starts feeding.