Tangs having UFC :(

Dear reefers,

Hope you can help me solve this problem.

My existing tank consist of a Blue Tang, Yellow Tang and 3 Clowns.

Problem is when i introduced a new purple tang, the YT and BT kept bullying him, nipping at his fin and keep cornering him.

I've off the main lights for now leaving only a dim moonlight on at all times.

How do i solve this problem?

Will the bullies get bored of him soon and leave him alone or will they jump on him till he mati?

Thanks in advance.

• SRC Member

Dear reefers,

Problem is when i introduced a new purple tang, the YT and BT kept bullying him, nipping at his fin and keep cornering him.

Will the bullies get bored of him soon and leave him alone or will they jump on him till he mati?

Thanks in advance.

blue tang r usually very tame and do not bother other tangs. few ways to tackle this prob.

1) catch out both yellow n blue tang, put in betta box or a holding tank. let the purple tang stable down b4 u release both tangs back.

2) some bro uses this n found it useful. placing mirror in ur tank to let the yellow n blue tang fight against their own reflection...

3) not advisable but i usually let them fight it out....

4) sell ur yellow tang and blue tang....

prob is not every fishes r the same, my fishes will bully the new comer for couple of days and after that leave them alone....couple of days is to show the new comer who the boss in there...but i do heard of some cases where fishes will fight the new comer till it die.

• SRC Member

Bro in future when you add fishes would be good to add them after lights out. Also can do some rescaping to help in reducing potential aggression.

How critical is your purple tang? If it looks really bashed up, I would suggest taking out the yellow and blue tang into the sump for the next 1-2 weeks to let your purple tang settle down. Or if your tangs respond well to mirrors, can use that method too.

Bro in future when you add fishes would be good to add them after lights out. Also can do some rescaping to help in reducing potential aggression.

How critical is your purple tang? If it looks really bashed up, I would suggest taking out the yellow and blue tang into the sump for the next 1-2 weeks to let your purple tang settle down. Or if your tangs respond well to mirrors, can use that method too.

Thanks bro Comycus and Vtec for your kind feedback early in the morning.

It would be rather difficult to take the bullies out of the tank as i have to remove all the live rocks (so much work to do and time needed)

The PT's fine are slightly torn but for now still not too severe.

But if he gets too bashed up, no choice but to take out the rocks, extradict the bullies and rescape the whole tank. Sigh..

I may try to use a mirror to divert the bullie's attention to fight their own reflection and give the PT some healing time.

Hope it works. Will continue to monitor the brawl for few days first and see how it turns out.

Dear reefers,

Thanks in advance.

Hi, How big is your tank? If is big enough, probably get some acrylic sheet from LFS. Partition them and let them face each other via acrylic.. also add some mirror to confuse them... Must react quick b4 your fish get hurt..

Base on experience Purple tang is much stronger than YT and BT.. He is nervous due to new environment.. Let them uses to each other before introduce.. And try some live food like brine shrimp or mysis shrimp to build up his confident..

Cheers..

30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif
BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

Tank is 3 X 2.5 X 2.5 which i think is small for my tangs.

I have 3 sub-species of the Zebrasomas species i.e. YT, PT, Scopas which are all of the same shape and this sure leads to aggressiveness among them.

But i just love the Zebrasomas coz they're like underwater horses (Their snout)

Sigh..how i wish they get along well.

Impossible to use arcylic sheets la due to the rock works. This tank is tall than elongated..

I read up that PT are most aggressive of the Zebrasomas, but opposite in this case.

Even the Blue Tang (Dory) is bullying him.

Tank is 3 X 2.5 X 2.5 which i think is small for my tangs.

I have 3 sub-species of the Zebrasomas species i.e. YT, PT, Scopas which are all of the same shape and this sure leads to aggressiveness among them.

But i just love the Zebrasomas coz they're like underwater horses (Their snout)

Sigh..how i wish they get along well.

Impossible to use arcylic sheets la due to the rock works. This tank is tall than elongated..

I read up that PT are most aggressive of the Zebrasomas, but opposite in this case.

Even the Blue Tang (Dory) is bullying him.

Try get those fold able partition. You can fold to the shape and size desire.. I will snap some photo tonight.. No way to introduce aggressive tang directly in different time. They will fight to dead.. Let them sometime to acclimatise each others without physical contact..

Cheers..

BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

• SRC Member

re-scaping the rocks normally resolve the issue haha. (thats for my case)

those old tang in your tank will fight with the other old tangs to have the new "area"

the new PT that you have added will be more relax as it's new and wont compete with others first.

few days later should be ok.

whacking is ok but if ton fin and got injuries, try to change rock scape else your PT might not be able to make it.

all the best for your newly purchased tang!

Thanks to all the bros with the kind advice and suggestions.

I will try to place a mirror and continue to use low light until the fighting subsides.

Went home for lunch today and seems like they are leaving the PT alone already. Maybe sien liao..

Oh and also, i got a Box Fish (Black with white spots). I duno the exact name. I house it in the sump for few days temporary, but died yesterday.

Once again, thanks to all bros who helped me on this.

Will update again.

• Senior Reefer

zebrasoma tangs are very fierce when mixed together... this includes purple, yellow, brown, sailfin and all tanks with this shape.

on the other hand, blue tang is quite docile..

of the zebrasoma, purple is one of the worst.

your tank is only 3ft and i would only advocate 1, maximum 2 tangs.. space is an issue with tangs and that's why they fight..

if space is going to be a problem, expect fighting amongst the three even if all of them settle down.

as with your boxfish, don't add anymore. they are poisonous when dead and a large one can potentially kill your livestock.

Try get those fold able partition. You can fold to the shape and size desire.. I will snap some photo tonight.. No way to introduce aggressive tang directly in different time. They will fight to dead.. Let them sometime to acclimatise each others without physical contact..

Cheers..

Here is the fold able partition, just like lego concept.. you can add/remove or even odd shape.. see whether suit for you.. you can get this from C328...

Cheers..

post-9248-12735106711597_thumb.jpg

BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore