NSW users/wanna use NSW pls read

comycus

• SRC Member
  • SRC Member

Both Wilson and I bought from the same source, but nothing conclusive at this point. I'll give them a buzz, just a headsup for them.

I'll like to add that if anyone has experienced similar events as stated by Wilson & myself, pls kindly share here, and kindly PM me your source? This is just to consolidate info, nothing else. Thanks.

• SRC Supporter

Are you all running carbon? I think carbon might help?

Maybe it is the source of the NSW that is being collected...

I m definitely on carbon, SeaChem anti Phosphate and De-Nitrate.

• SRC Member

Hv been using NSW from day#1 with no problems. I change 40l of NSW weekly ( 3x2x2 tank) and did not notice any problems with the LS. Maybe it is the LFS that you buy the NSW from, the LFS uses this water themselves so it should be safe. Don't think they would be able to survive with salt mix. Also no reason for them to risk their customer's LS as well by selling adulterated water. Just my 1 cents worth :)

Bro, I am using carbon. Cheapo china brand one lah! :paiseh:

Oops... LOL.. Den not sure what is the problem... Maybe the source... But i will still cycle my tank with NSW from Iwarna and dump a lot of carbon and see how it is after cycling..

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• SRC Member

Oops... LOL.. Den not sure what is the problem... Maybe the source... But i will still cycle my tank with NSW from Iwarna and dump a lot of carbon and see how it is after cycling..

Do start with easy lifestock after cycling. My clowns, Helfrichi (thank goodness!), neon goby and Yashia (new) still doing ok. Actively swimming and feeding. Tell tale sign came from my RG, which was hiding most of the time these 2 days as compared to when I first got it.

Do start with easy lifestock after cycling. My clowns, Helfrichi (thank goodness!), neon goby and Yashia (new) still doing ok. Actively swimming and feeding. Tell tale sign came from my RG, which was hiding most of the time these 2 days as compared to when I first got it.

Yeah... Maybe some cardinal or chromis...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

Bro, I am using carbon. Cheapo china brand one lah! :paiseh:

Bro, I can pass you some lightnite/ Rox 8.0 carbon from Peter's BO to try.

great stuff.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member

any 1 uses NSW then skimmer not skimming?

my deltec behaving abit weridly. not skimming,then skimz.then not skimming after 3-4weeks ago of changing NSW

bro do set your skimmer to over skim.. it will eventually skim out the oily contents. (i used bateria boost and aluminium oxide to overskim as well as set the flow lower but its really a do at your own risk and if you know your tank well enough)

but do watch once the skimmage is starting to get more as once the oil is cleared.. the many days of no skimmer is gonna be pretty heavy skimmage and a chance to overflow.

Good job bringing this up comy.

just one bag of NSW was enough to stop my skimmage for a week... so if you guys had a large change of NSW, do watch your skimmer.. it will tell all the tales.

yes and terry is right.. the source of NSW is crucial too.

Brown SPS > Kinder Surprise

White SPS = Kinder Surprise after expiry date

Assumption killed the dinosaurs, they didnt have test kits.

Thanks! I'm afraid I might have bad news for you though... haven't seen the neon goby around...

:( your fishes are all nice species. hope the rest all survive.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

i will definitely stop using NSW for the time being

if NSW is the root issue, wouldn't livestock in that LFS die too?

take a look at their tank, and observe the fish behavior

Bro,

1) their volume of tank water is like >200 times or more of a nano.

2) they do not do WC of 20%.

3) They have a better and much more mature filtration than our home tanks. Just look at some of their skimmers and algae scrubbers.

I have no idea of how the LFS do their water maintenance. THe above are just my thoughts.

Given their sheer volume and mature filtration, I am not even sure if they need to do it often.

dear bro jacky

agree on your point

but i feel that LFS livestock will indirectly be affected if NSW is really the root issue

after all, they are using 100% NSW

any bro bought livestock recently and die of unknown cause?

Bro peacemaker, don't use cheapo carbon. If want to buy something cheap, I can recommend you Eheim Karbon for FW use. I used them before for my marine tanks; works equally well except that it needs to be hot water activated. Otherwise based on PT's pics, they should be Lignite carbon, 2nd grade carbon after Rox 0.8 (:

why dont use cheapo carbon? cheapo carbon uses phosphoric/sulphuric acid to burn the carbon adsorption pores. So indirectly you are introducing possible phosphate to your tank (: Also Eheim Karbon promises on their box that their carbon has 0% phosphate. haha (: and Eheim Karbon costs you $9 from Clementi 328 for 1L box. that should be able to last you say for 4 mths or more depending on your usage? (:

Anyway about NSW, for now, I think I can only trust CF for their NSW. but I bought my NSW from LCK210 2 weeks ago. So far no casualty *touchwood* (:

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

• Senior Reefer

marco excellent point.

alot of good grade marine carbon are activated and have tiny minute pores. this what's important. alot of cheap carbon lacks this.

i personally use ROWA carbon and i like it.

marco excellent point.

alot of good grade marine carbon are activated and have tiny minute pores. this what's important. alot of cheap carbon lacks this.

i personally use ROWA carbon and i like it.

ahaha thanks bro.Lemon (:

whee! I also using ROWA Carbon now. Ehh supposed to buy Rox but I cannot wait cause tank starts to show signs of unhappiness; then about to get my usual Eheim Karbon, a nice bro decided to lelong his ROWA carbon at a good price. Found it hard to turn down so okay! bought and using ROWA Carbon :D

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

ahaha thanks bro.Lemon (:

whee! I also using ROWA Carbon now. Ehh supposed to buy Rox but I cannot wait cause tank starts to show signs of unhappiness; then about to get my usual Eheim Karbon, a nice bro decided to lelong his ROWA carbon at a good price. Found it hard to turn down so okay! bought and using ROWA Carbon :D

Think you should still have got the Rox 8.0 or share with someone.

a small investment for good stuff at a good price for something that can last you a long long while.....