Harlequin

jamesbond

• Senior Reefer

holy smokes..?

first time i see people keeping 12 harlequins in 1 tank.

i've heard of them eating frozen food but i thought it was a myth. then yours eat dead fish.

omgoodness!! now the question is, will the fish meat be able to sustain these obligate starfish eaters?

i don't know, till feed them with starfish. At first, i am worry about fish to abuse shrimp, and it is surprising that things is ok. This tank involved 12 harlequin, 6 cleaner shrimp, 8 anemone shrimp, 4 carmel shrimp, 2 banned shrimp, and 22 sexy shrimp. all is ok for one week.

Fuel, around 2 hours, and it seems it really enjoy eating ... till cleaner shrimp take over.

i don't know, till feed them with starfish. At first, i am worry about fish to abuse shrimp, and it is surprising that things is ok. This tank involved 12 harlequin, 6 cleaner shrimp, 8 anemone shrimp, 4 carmel shrimp, 2 banned shrimp, and 22 sexy shrimp. all is ok for one week.

Fuel, around 2 hours, and it seems it really enjoy eating ... till cleaner shrimp take over.

Got pics of the 22 sexies? :) Thats worth a shot.

• SRC Member

Wow, you have 54 shrimps...and 12 harlequin in one tank!!!!

Me first time hearing harlequin eating fish and clam meat, if you succeed in weaning them to eat these, then you are probably the very few who did it. And the good news is you dun have to keep buying sea stars to feed them and risk polluting your water.

Wow, thanks for sharing! :welldone:

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member

Interesting shrimp-themed tank. Please show more photos.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

Ya pls post more photos... thanks..

My Simple Tank Spec

Main Tank LPS and Softies 4x2x2.5ft

Sump Tank 2.5x1.5x1.5ft with lots of LR

Remote Sump Tank 2x1x1ft dsb refugium with chaeto, mangroves and Gracilaria curtissae macroalgae

DIY LED with 6x 3W Blue and 6x 3W White main tank light

DIY LED with 1x 3W Blue and 1x 3W Red refugium light

DIY LED 1x 1W Blue moonlighting

Now convert to skimmerless Tank

1 x Rio 14HF Return Pump

1 x SunSun JVP-102 wavemaker

1 x 2x1 vertical Algae Turf Scrubber with 2x 10W LED Warm White

• SRC Member

If you have this many harlequin, suggest you feed them crown of thorn starfish, their natural diet, help to save the reef too by taking the crown of thorn from the wild as these starfish kills coral.

• Senior Reefer

i dont think crown of thorns starfishes are available in LFS.....

btw that's alot of snappers....a juvenile parrotfish and a potentially large coris...

all need a new home when they grow bigger...and all will potentiall pose a threat to your shrimps..

it is quite rare to find thorn starfish here, even though we have big issue with this kind of starfish in Nha Trang, and authorized agency has to call for help to kill them, it is too big to house in tank. i only feed them with red starfish.

Lemon, you are right, when those fishes grow big, i will exchange with my friend. My plan is to house this tank with more halerquin, around 50-100, and move all fishes to other tank. however, it takes time to do collection. I am not worry about aggressive behavious, from my own experience, when you house just some, it will be kind of territory; when you house more than 10.. it becomes a friendly group.

• SRC Member

Lemon, you are right, when those fishes grow big, i will exchange with my friend. My plan is to house this tank with more halerquin, around 50-100, and move all fishes to other tank. however, it takes time to do collection. I am not worry about aggressive behavious, from my own experience, when you house just some, it will be kind of territory; when you house more than 10.. it becomes a friendly group.

it is quite rare to find thorn starfish here, even though we have big issue with this kind of starfish in Nha Trang, and authorized agency has to call for help to kill them, it is too big to house in tank. i only feed them with red starfish.

It will surely be very interesting to see a Harlequin shrimp only tank :welldone:

wow Jamesbond, this is very interesting. maybe i should add 10 pcs of harlequin at 1 time so that there is no quarrelling among them. where did you get your idea from?

Do you mind if i ask you how big your tank is, and what is your estimate flow rate (current flow) of your tank?

Thanks for the inspiration!!!

-----------------------------

my tank 1.2x0.35x0.6 m, flow rate is about 3500 liler / hour, filter: DIY wet-dry and over flow filter + 1 canister, no skimmer. it run well with 60 fishes and around 40 shrimps + 15 anemous + some button coral.

i just test to house many shrimps ... and by luck to get it work.

Do keep a watchful eye out for nitrates. Nitrates above 10ppm usually lead to premature death in these shrimp.

----------------------------

thanks. it is about 3 ppm.

It will surely be very interesting to see a Harlequin shrimp only tank

----------------------------

regret ... this is stommy season in Vietnam, quite hard to do collection; i only have 16 so far.