Tench1's Reefing log

tench1

• Senior Reefer

Oh, I'm suspecting sohal is suffering from flukes. There's sign of white patches and rash marks on it's body.

If not, what would u suggest?

hmm..

i've tried praziquantel as a fluke treatment before and it failed terribly. despite being said to work.

if it's indeed flukes, a quick FW dip is usually confirmatory. the flukes will drop out and FW dip should get rid of most, if not all.

The challenge is to catch the big guy. It's not eating the mysis I soaked with praziquantel. ..

Good luck to it.

My fishes also dislike mysis soaked with prazi.

But if u are curing flukes den no need to soak prazi, it should be administered externally, that is dose in the water.

Do not add anymore tangs for the time being, at least 3 months. Let the ich number drop to a more manageable level so that it can be brought under control.

Thanks Digi, and the other bros that had given me your advices...

Indeed, PBT is indeed powerful and should be added with better precaution earlier.

And as Digi bro had said, yes, ICH had killed my tangs...

I shall not give up and one day,this beauty shall be eventually be in my mini reef one day.

Of course, i will not be adding any fishes the next few months...Shall take a break and grieve, and to reflect all mistakes made.

• SRC Member

Yea.

-No Fish for 1 - 1.5 month after the ich cycle ( i think, do read up more on the ich cycle to let it slowly disappear from your tank)\

-No re-scaping after the fish is added inside.

-No flooding of fish and follow the cycle of gentle fish to aggressive fish on your livestock list (if possible hehe)

People do err and you will be more exp next time!

:friends:

• Senior Reefer

8 weeks of fishless tank to combat ich.

but if u do this means ur future fish u adding in has to be ich free. otherwise u r 8 weeks will be in vain.

so that means quarantine all new arrivals and de-ich them.

or alternatively u can do the dump and hope method which many of us do.

dont qt fish but add v v v v slowly and dont let the parasite problem get out of hand. a slowly stocked tank with appropriate fish is possible without qt.

• SRC Member

not only to new fishes. as extreme precautions new corals are also put to qt through a fishless 8 weeks in a separate tank. this is the safest way but it depends on whether the individual would want to risk it or not. there are but not many who would carry out this

• Senior Reefer

qt corals is abit extreme but yeah... some ppl do that..

it's unecessary though. the amt of ich that the coral habour cant do anything to healthy fishes.

and most ppl qt corals for other things and just qt for ich also as an incentive :)

Yea.

-No Fish for 1 - 1.5 month after the ich cycle ( i think, do read up more on the ich cycle to let it slowly disappear from your tank)\

-No re-scaping after the fish is added inside.

-No flooding of fish and follow the cycle of gentle fish to aggressive fish on your livestock list (if possible hehe)

People do err and you will be more exp next time!

:friends:

Of course, i thought i know alot about fishes3 days before. But after this distasous event, totally burnt off all confidence.

Im gonna start all over again, to know more about fishes...

I will need all the help i need to stay away from fishes the next 8 weeks!

to be safe some people go 8 weeks fishless to combat ich. after waiting 4-6 weeks whats another 2? :)

Yea bro, gonna wait for at least 8 weeks. or 12 weeks!

Maybe i can stock up corals in the meantime.

Take this period to think through whether im gg to keep other kinda family fishes. :)

8 weeks of fishless tank to combat ich.

but if u do this means ur future fish u adding in has to be ich free. otherwise u r 8 weeks will be in vain.

so that means quarantine all new arrivals and de-ich them.

or alternatively u can do the dump and hope method which many of us do.

dont qt fish but add v v v v slowly and dont let the parasite problem get out of hand. a slowly stocked tank with appropriate fish is possible without qt.

Yea Lemon, i had QT all my fishes and will continue to do that...provided the QT tank not removed by CO.

haha

• SRC Member

I will need all the help i need to stay away from fishes the next 8 weeks!

Yea bro, gonna wait for at least 8 weeks. or 12 weeks!

Maybe i can stock up corals in the meantime.

don't worry you'd get used to seeing a fishless tank after awhile. when i was fishless for a few months i only checked out coral shippments and ignored any fish shippments.

if you're looking to entirely eradicate ich in your tank, you must take caution in stocking up corals. like i mentioned above the coral risk bringing the parasite back into your waters disrupting your 8 weeks and you'd have to restart. as much as you try to shake the bag water off you won't be able to get rid of all the water. proper 100% risk free procedures means also putting new corals through fishless qt and your future fishes to be extensively qt before releasing into the main tank. of course lemon pointed out that this is an insignificant risk to healthy fishes but its a very tiny first step towards another ich breakout nonetheless.

• 2 weeks later...

Back from my holiday!

Will upload some pics :)

Greeted with foul smell upon entering my house.

As i expected, Sohal passed on...The Yellow Wrasse is my only hope. But i due to the highly toxic environment, i found it hidding in the sand with its head above the sand.

Grasping for air, one of its eye is bloated. Hope it will be fine...

Decomposing right in the unreachable depth...

Learning from my past mistakes, i had off all pumps to ensure death circulation in the main tank.

Cleaning its body reminded me of the snows that fell from the sky, in the most ironic way... (The body meat debris were all over the tank...)

The smell... :sick:

Can you believe it, the skimmer skim-mate is almost the color of black! :sick: :sick: :sick:

oh mine...

I swore that i wil never let this happen again!

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

After back from my business trip for 3 days, my Chilli pepper Monti had bleached....

Why ah? funny....any1 have any idea?

Mine almost totally bleached out also... According to Dr Ang, it's due to lack of direct flow. :)

After back from my business trip for 3 days, my Chilli pepper Monti had bleached....

Why ah? funny....any1 have any idea?

Mine almost totally bleached out also... According to Dr Ang, it's due to lack of direct flow. :)

i will be pleased to hand you free frags of other monti to try out if you both desire. Let me know.:friends:

cheers

just got myself 2 x skrunk :) Getting the doc ready. Before stocking up my LS. :)

Just witness peppermint shrimp search and eat bristerworm! Power! or is it the effect of no feeding? haha

• 2 weeks later...