Bubbles eating boxfish??!!

RAV-65

Hi all,

I have a small mini boxfish about 1cm long, its a very small baby and today when I came home from work, I found that the boxfish is in the middle of my green bubble, it was as though my green bubble was gonna swallow it !! the boxfish died.. :cry::cry::cry: but wat i'm really puzzled is dat how come the bubble had it in its "mouth" can the bubble coral actually swallow my fish?!

Vincent Ho :thanks:

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member

Wah... your green bubble swallowed your mini boxfish ah?! Wahahahahahah!!! :evil::evil::evil:

Maybe you can try poking your bubble with pin or needle so that you can burst your bubble to save your boxfish! :evil:

Be careful though, bursting bubbles can be addictive, much like popping bubble wrap!

:huh: ... though its the festive seasons, we should try to be a little more sensitive and constructive in our posts ...

Anyway, Vince, sorry to hear about your boxfish. I hope for your sake you removed the poor fish as I've heard the degenerating tissues may release the toxin.

Bubbles are known to take fleshy food such as mysis or shrimp meat, at least that is what I feed mine.

The death of the boxfish can be due to many reasons, poor health, bad water conditions, et cetera. Or, considering its size, it may simply be stung of the bubble and snared by its tentacle.

• SRC Member

Hi Vincent,

Sorry for your lost.

I remember reading in another thread here that bubbles are capable of extend their tenacles to a few inches long. Hence, other corals should be placed far from it.

I agree with Rumor that your boxfish is stung.

Hi all,

thanxs for the condolences and advice... I tot the bubble is a pretty harmless coral, didn't know it has the ability to sting.... In any case, the boxfish was removed immediately upon discovery of its demise...

Anyway, Rumour, thanks for standing up for me, the Marcvelous guy probably had a Xmas Eve Outing where he drank too much and ended up drunk... lying flat on the coffee shop table.... resting on a dirt-covered arm... So i guess he haven't gathered his senses as yet... :D:D:D But forgive him.... we all forgive and forget... :)

Vincent Ho

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member

Hey man sorry for your boxfish but I'll be here saying some things in defense of your bubble coral.... I used to have a bubble for quite a long time before I gave it away and it was housed with lots and lots of very small fishes... Thing is, I will feed it frozen food from time to time and will also feed it whatever die offs in my tank I have found. Although it loved eating my occasional dead LS, it never harmed any of my living fishes. Therefore I believe that your boxfish had already died before it was consumed so I think you shouldn't throw away your bubble or condemn it in anyway first.. Besides, boxfishes aren't known to be the hardiest of fishes.... Merry Christmas!!

Hmmm....

dat's another piece of knowledge... just dat i'm pretty surprised, coz the boxfish was prefectly fine in the morning before I left for work... Maybe there was certain problems not visible to the ###### eye, but my 2 boxfishes, same size are doing very well... Anyway, just have to continue observing my bubble... :D:D:D

Vincent Ho

post-34-1105890976.jpg