Eco lamp Lighting issue?

desideria

• SRC Member

Update : A new guy : Zhi Kang from AM will be coming to install the ecolamp this evening. It has arrived.B)

As to solo's query on warranty, initially I was told that it is from the date of receipt and not from this replacement however I had pointed out that mine was a pre-order whereby my receipt is dated early May 2010 whereas the unit only arrived early June, not to mention it died after merely 2 months. So Janet said that it is some international warranty rule however she had amended the warranty to July 2010 for me so I guess that's the best I can get la.

Oh well, nevermind, I just want my lamp back. :erm: and then hope this time round it doesn't bust in 2 months, although I think it should not even bust in a few YEARS. let's see how this one fares...*fingers crossed*

However I am now hesitant whether or not to subject my corals to another round of lighting change considering that I will be decomming in 2 months time when I move house. Any thoughts on this? :ooh:

Cheers, ;)

Desi

Sheldon (TBBT): A little misunderstanding? Galileo and the Pope had a little misunderstanding...

Update : A new guy : Zhi Kang from AM will be coming to install the ecolamp this evening. It has arrived.B)

As to solo's query on warranty, initially I was told that it is from the date of receipt and not from this replacement however I had pointed out that mine was a pre-order whereby my receipt is dated early May 2010 whereas the unit only arrived early June, not to mention it died after merely 2 months. So Janet said that it is some international warranty rule however she had amended the warranty to July 2010 for me so I guess that's the best I can get la.

Oh well, nevermind, I just want my lamp back. :erm: and then hope this time round it doesn't bust in 2 months, although I think it should not even bust in a few YEARS. let's see how this one fares...*fingers crossed*

However I am now hesitant whether or not to subject my corals to another round of lighting change considering that I will be decomming in 2 months time when I move house. Any thoughts on this? :ooh:

I think AM meant receipt of goods as the start of the warranty period. If it is the recipt as of the pre-order, I think this is a whole-lot of BS. Even when you buy a car, iphone, etc, warranty starts from the receipt of th goods.

I think we all should be aware that warranty coverage alone is not enough. There must be credible local support. Can you imagine, the breakdown equipment is your chiller...

• SRC Member

hhmm gerald, I guess you're right., probably the day I got the first set.. but the thing is, there is no official documentation at *that* time when I got the goods and the only official documentation is the invoice which I paid in full back in May 2010. Hence, I guess when I saw the SMS reply of "receipt of 1st set", I immediately thought of that invoice dated May 2010 and not the actual day when I got the goods. good point.. :P

oh well.... que sera sera.. live and learn!

Cheers, ;)

Desi

Sheldon (TBBT): A little misunderstanding? Galileo and the Pope had a little misunderstanding...

was thinking of getting a KR92, one of my friends too

We will be looking at how well the aftersale services from distributer is going to be like.

Hope that desi will get a good replacement soon.

a bit side tracked though, any other comparable brands to KR92?

• SRC Member

was thinking of getting a KR92, one of my friends too

We will be looking at how well the aftersale services from distributer is going to be like.

Hope that desi will get a good replacement soon.

a bit side tracked though, any other comparable brands to KR92?

There are quite a few brands in the market now. Locally, think our LFSes have only brought in Ecolamp, Maxspect, Lumen Aqua so far.

To me, good aftersales service support and quality of product are a must if I'm going to invest top dollar in a LED light set. LED technology has come a long way, it is no longer a first gen or 2nd gen product. Likewise, I would expect a relatively fuss free experience if Murphy ever strikes. The last thing I want to do is worry about warranty period and delivery hiccups.

My experience in LEDs are only limited to my Maxspect set. So far so good. Won't dilute this thread, but you can do a quick search on the forum for reviews of it or Lumen Aqua before making your decision.

There are quite a few brands in the market now. Locally, think our LFSes have only brought in Ecolamp, Maxspect, Lumen Aqua so far.

To me, good aftersales service support and quality of product are a must if I'm going to invest top dollar in a LED light set. LED technology has come a long way, it is no longer a first gen or 2nd gen product. Likewise, I would expect a relatively fuss free experience if Murphy ever strikes. The last thing I want to do is worry about warranty period and delivery hiccups.

My experience in LEDs are only limited to my Maxspect set. So far so good. Won't dilute this thread, but you can do a quick search on the forum for reviews of it or Lumen Aqua before making your decision.

Yeah I agree with you, a LED set is really a sizeable investment compared to the other equipments.

I guess all eyes are on how desi's problems are resolved now

Apologies to Desi and the mods for diluting the thread

• SRC Member

No probs puppet, I wish you the best in finding the right brand of LED for yourself and your friend. Do ask around and then when u think you got the right one, close your eyes and plunge... and pray.. :P

My LED has been replaced. Ah do and Zhi Kang were here and they removed the Gisseman and put back the LED. They had set the time and I then did up the auto settings again ( did it so many times previously I kinda knew what to do!)

Start : 10am blue light

1pm : Daylight

8pm Bluelight

11pm Moon light

2am : Lights out.

I sincerely hope that this replacement set will last and not ###### up like the first one.

According to Ah do, the capacitors and basically the wiring of this newer set is new and improved... only time will tell. I have not kept on GIsseman yet but left it on the floor near the tank JUST IN CASE .... I shall not SAY IT!!! :P but u know what I mean!....:fear:

Cheers, ;)

Desi

It seems that it took you around 2 weeks for the problem to be resolved.

Assuming that there needs to be quite a fair bit of communications between AM and Ecolamp, I would say that this was handled as quickly and efficently as it could be. Although 2 weeks can spell disaster actually for some livestock.

On hindsight, it might be better to purchase 2 shorter Ecolamp than one longer Ecolamp, as the chances of both blowing up is lesser?

I checked that the differences in price doesn't seem to have much difference.

Thus if one set is cranky at least half the light in the tank is still available?

Would you have done that differently desi?

(Ecolamp does seem to be the better LED currently available to us in Singapore it seems)

• SRC Member

IMHO

1. It is alarming that the unit failed on 2 occasions within 2 months. Reason being: this is not a new product using new technology here.

2. Distributor should have spare units or spare parts on hand to cater to most problems. The reason why I would purchase the equipment from a local distributor is so that my problems can be fixed locally. Otherwise I might as well have bought the unit from the overseas company directly.

3. The logistics of shipping was efficient. I would attribute this to good communication channels between AM and EcoLamps, EcoLamps maintaining good stocking levels and the impeccable delivery standards of the logistics provider used.

• SRC Member

Hi Puppet,

well honestly, I didn't think of buying 2 units as I think it's more of a hassle to have 2 lighting units hanging above my tank, I'd need to install 2 more movalite tracks to hang it from as my tank is actually 4 feet long and 2.5 feet WIDE. :P So no, I would not have bought 2 smaller light sets. It would be double trouble! HAHA

And the thing about ecolamp which I just realise is that the LED strips do not go all the way the entire length so if you buy a 40" like I did the LED strips end about 1.5 inches from the end.. so actually you only get 37" worth of LED strips because the ends is where they have some stand of some sort. And I wasn't aware of this because when I pre-ordered it, there was NO DEMO unit for me to touch and feel.

So to compensate for it, I have now lifted it about 1 feet off the water surface so that the light is able to hit ALL the corners of my tank as previously when it was much lower, the corners were a bit shadowy. Something for you to take note of.

And if you wonder why I bought a 40" when my tank is 48" ; is because I thought that 40" is enough and when I asked Janet whether it's enough she said it should be and no problem lighting it up. Technically that is true but the intensity of the light at the corners will obviously not be as strong so you have to not put anything, there which I don't.

and yes one of my clams died... it was actually doing rather well.. when suddenly after the ecolamp went wonky and I had to replace it with my Gisseman it suddenly retracted and within 4 days withered and became fish food! My blue gornio is no longer opening up as well...not as long as before but very short little stubs instead. I hope my blue gornio recovers as my black clowns are hosting it!

good luck to your purchase puppet.

Cheers, ;)

Desi

Hi Puppet,

well honestly, I didn't think of buying 2 units as I think it's more of a hassle to have 2 lighting units hanging above my tank, I'd need to install 2 more movalite tracks to hang it from as my tank is actually 4 feet long and 2.5 feet WIDE. :P So no, I would not have bought 2 smaller light sets. It would be double trouble! HAHA

And the thing about ecolamp which I just realise is that the LED strips do not go all the way the entire length so if you buy a 40" like I did the LED strips end about 1.5 inches from the end.. so actually you only get 37" worth of LED strips because the ends is where they have some stand of some sort. And I wasn't aware of this because when I pre-ordered it, there was NO DEMO unit for me to touch and feel.

So to compensate for it, I have now lifted it about 1 feet off the water surface so that the light is able to hit ALL the corners of my tank as previously when it was much lower, the corners were a bit shadowy. Something for you to take note of.

And if you wonder why I bought a 40" when my tank is 48" ; is because I thought that 40" is enough and when I asked Janet whether it's enough she said it should be and no problem lighting it up. Technically that is true but the intensity of the light at the corners will obviously not be as strong so you have to not put anything, there which I don't.

and yes one of my clams died... it was actually doing rather well.. when suddenly after the ecolamp went wonky and I had to replace it with my Gisseman it suddenly retracted and within 4 days withered and became fish food! My blue gornio is no longer opening up as well...not as long as before but very short little stubs instead. I hope my blue gornio recovers as my black clowns are hosting it!

good luck to your purchase puppet.

Thanks for the thoughts desi,

I think we are not sidetracking here since we are still discussing about the ecolamp kr92

Could I ask just a few more questions to yourself and other owners so that hobbyist like us can benefit, nothing beats consumers' feedback

1) so you are suggesting that if you have a 48" tank, you should get a 48" lightset?

2) Why made you guys decide on Ecolamp instead of the other brands?

3) What type of aquarium are you keeping? SPS? LPS only?

4) Would you go for other brands instead after your purchase?

Thanks so much guys for your input

God bless

• SRC Member

hi puppet

:) no probs.... I hope that I am stating my sentiments factually and as unbiased as I possibly can to help others who read this make an informed decision. :) ok now to your questions

1. Yes for a 4 footer , take a 4 footer and don't make the foolish mistake that I did and assumed a shorter one would be enough as from the photos I saw online and on the broschure, the LEDs went right to the end. I measured this morning and both ends were... *GASP* 3 INCHES SHORT..:poster_oops: that means I bought a 40" but I only got 34 inches worth of LED strips!!! I do feel a little put off but I bought it at my own risk thus so be it. I accept my purchase.

Anyway, I compensated it by hanging it higher so that the light is able to hit the corners.

As you can see from the website : Ecolamp the pictures led me to believe the LED strips were to the end.. hhmm... I might be wrong so if anyone wishes to correct me, please do! I am all ears.

2. We decided on Ecolamp because at the time, our current knowledge was that the good thing about it is it's auto dimming feature ( the lights gradually change from blue to daylight to blue and to moonlight), it is slim, light and sleek design. Also, I was inspired that even Chingchai from Thailand was using Ecolamp on his nano tank.. so we kinda thought HEY.. if he is using, it must have some standard here yeah? Sadly mine died in 2 months.. sometimes lemons just keep on coming.. :P

3.WE are keeping mainly LPS but we are now exploring going into SPS which is why we bought KR92 and before hand I had my Gisseman infiniti which had 2 x 250MH.

4.Would I buy Ecolamp again? Only time can tell honestly..... in all fairness, I'd have to give this replacement set a go to see how long it lasts me.

I will however be honest to say that my faith in ecolamp has been severely damaged and it was very disconcerting to WAIT 5-6 days for a replacement timer spare part which I expect a distributor to stock to arrive from HK ; only to find out the whole lamp has died on me, and then WAIT AGAIN for another 9 days for a brand new light set to arrive. Keeping spare parts is something that all distributors should practice to avoid unnecessary delay and not wait until customers have issue then ship over. Best is they keep at least 1 spare set of the standard lengths so that if anyone has issue, immediate replacement. I understand this is expensive for high end products however I am sure businesses can always negotiate.

As another reefer had pointed out, what if it was a pump? a chiller? And no spare parts? Goodbye Livestock! Then who is going to compensate the reefer in question? how many of us will keep spare lights, chiller or pumps? LOL<_<

anyway good luck.... and I hope I have enlightened anyone reading this but do note this is entirely my opinion.

:ThanxSmiley:

Cheers, ;)

Desi

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

My understanding is someone using but best u call the agent am to chk.

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

• 2 months later...

Hi Desideria,

this Ecolamp have the sunrise and sunset effect. May I ask for these effect, does the light brighten up gradually from dim to fully brighten up, as in from 0% to 100%.

Also, will the light create a shimmering effect in the water just like a MH lightset?

I am sourcing for a good LED lightset. The Elos and Aqua Illumination Sol Nano looks really good. But $$$

• SRC Member

hi 5,

yes the good thing about ecolamp is that it DOES have a gradual dimming and gradual lighting up effect .. so it takes about 20 mins or so to light up full blue or full daylight and then slowly dims down again....

the shimmering effect is more for moonlight.. daylight has no shimmering effect from my point of view, it's just bright.... and also for my KR92 ( now there is KR94.. dunno how that one figures) please note that the LED does not stretch all the way to the end.. there is about 2-3 inches on each side which is empty so that one can put the stand. so for me I bought a KR92-40 and instead of getting 40 inches of LED.. I basically got only about 34 inches worth. SO please take note of that too.

Also if your tank is any more than 2 feet in width.. the sides of your tank will not be brightly lit.. mine is 2.5 feet wide and the sides are a little shadowy. so I put less light "intensive" corals there

good luck with your search and I hope you get the LED that you need . :)

Cheers, ;)

Desi

• 1 month later...