how & what to feed/care for ANEMONE?

• SRC Member

dont they need anything , just need light ? am i correct ? not sure ;)

should be correct :rolleyes:

SBS_Transit

• SRC Member

if you are talking about those brownish green anemionie harvest locally.... they need very strong light because these anemonie usually harvested from shallow water. As for what light to be used? it will depends on the type f anemonie you keep, your light distance from water surface, your tank height.... usually, an PL tube is enough for most anemonie in a tank less than 15". Anemonie will move around until they find spot they feel comfortable....usually, they like to hide their base in a hole and the body + tensticle will strech out for light & food... ;);)

most anemonie need frequent feeding (ard 1 a week) with meaty stuff like chop clams, fish, prawn..... thus contribute high bioload to your tank. :(

if you are keeping coral in the same time, you have to be very careful caused anemonie is usually very aggresive and will sting your coral.... :unsure::blink::blink:

at the same time, you must make sure that your pump water inlet is not exposed to the anemonie. If your anemonie is sucked into the pump... your hole tank will water will be polluted and might even crash if action is not take immeaditely. :erm::erm::erm:

I personally have very bad experience with anemonie..... and i dun recomend it to any newbie caused the problem that could caused by these creature is trmendious! :cry::cry::cry:

check this anemone of mine..

it needs good light (t5 to MH), plenty of space to roam abt, occasionally fed with meat, low nitrates (NO3).

I have been playing with anemone for sometime, reckon I can smell one dying one miles away.. once it crashed my tank in my old 2ft when I started out. Other in my 3ft tanks, no problem with them. Not a easy stuff to keep if u r new, best to keep away. IMO, recommended to have in pretty bare tank.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=9069

Hi swordtail, it is the type on your photo, it is brownish-red in colour, it is the common type, i bought it at $5 only....... ;)

And would like to thanks all the hobbyists who replied to my questions, especially "tiger shark" for your your long reply, thank you very much, it is very informative......... :lol::thanks:

• SRC Member
Hi swordtail, it is the type on your photo, it is brownish-red in colour, it is the common type, i bought it at $5 only....... ;)

And would like to thanks all the hobbyists who replied to my questions, especially "tiger shark" for your your long reply, thank you very much, it is very informative......... :lol:  :thanks:

Hi Newcomer, Which photo of anemone "is" you referring?

Hi all hobbyists, now i know and saw how anemone feeding, :o but it was a very expensive meal :evil::angry: it cost $6. Because i recently bought a $6 fish, it died 2 days later, i used it to try to feed my anemone, to my surprise it ate the fish without leaving a single piece of bone............... :paiseh::bow:

HI .. guys i just bought a green bubble tip anemone yesterday at cF yesterday but the anemone expand today which open very nice but the problem is i dont know what to feed it??? wat are the feeding requirements ?? when a nd when to feed it?? :thanks:

think next time it's better you know what you are buying and its requirements before you buy it bro :)

but anyway, it needs good strong light.....feeding is only done supplementarily, you can feed it meaty stuff like prawns...but it will do fine just by light itself usually...

no problem...

i dun want to see you buy a cute blue ring octopus one day and then even before you start thinking of what you want to feed it....someone precious to you or you yourself get into big serious problem..hehe

next time..spend a couple of minutes going through some online marine life guide...then u can identify the general species that the livestock belongs to and its requirements...

cheers :) happy for you that it wasn't a bluering octopus or a rockfish..hehehe

not all clowns have to live with anemones and not all anemones have to live with clowns...i have seen clowns bully anemones till death and seen anemones eating clowns down.....

it is a popular misconception that both need each other to do well when in fact each on their own will do very well without the other...

if they do like each other...then let it be...if they do not like each other..let it be also...

• SRC Member
BUT THE PROBLEM IS WHY my clown fish never take the annemone as its host?/? the clown fish instead keep swimming around .. my clown fish is with me for 1 mths .. :thanks:

i belief yours is those 1.00~3.00 clown? i notice false p. always like to swim ard like no need to rest.. :lol: ...but others such as maroon n tomato will take the anemone as thier host instantly... (from my exp. only)