Carpet Anemone

Joe_P

• SRC Supporter

Hi Anemone Lovers,

Need some help in the confirmation of ID for these carpet anemones.

Notice the pink markings/blotches on the underside of the anemones reminiscence to that found only in mertensi carpets.

The issue is from the information that I have gathered, mertensii's are one of the more drab coloured anemones found under the genus Stichodactylum and these comes in "highlighter" yellow colouration. I have read also on how some of these anemones could have been dyed but these lacked the uniformity in coloration normally seen in dyed corals.

Anyone able to help confirm the ID from the pictures attached?

And is there a possibility to carpets existing as hybrids? :upsidedown:

StichodactylamertensiiYellow.jpg

StichodactylamertensiiYellowunderbelly2.jpg

StichodactylamertensiiYellowunderbelly.jpg

Hi Anemone Lovers,

Need some help in the confirmation of ID for these carpet anemones.

Notice the pink markings/blotches on the underside of the anemones reminiscence to that found only in mertensi carpets.

The issue is from the information that I have gathered, mertensii's are one of the more drab coloured anemones found under the genus Stichodactylum and these comes in "highlighter" yellow colouration. I have read also on how some of these anemones could have been dyed but these lacked the uniformity in coloration normally seen in dyed corals.

Anyone able to help confirm the ID from the pictures attached?

And is there a possibility to carpets existing as hybrids? :upsidedown:

StichodactylamertensiiYellow.jpg

StichodactylamertensiiYellowunderbelly2.jpg

StichodactylamertensiiYellowunderbelly.jpg

Reborn recent shipment? Saw one left at Reborn, But they are big.. Looks like Mertansii from the underside but the tentacle looks different but din take closer look becos they are too huge...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• Senior Reefer

Reborn recent shipment? Saw one left at Reborn, But they are big.. Looks like Mertansii from the underside but the tentacle looks different but din take closer look becos they are too huge...

not from reborn lah.

• SRC Supporter

It looks positive to be a S. mertensii specimen from the verrucae shown.

The colour I have come across are pale yellow and brown. Other colour morph do exist but less common or rare.

Thanks bro. :thumbsup:

One thing though with the specimen above is the elongated tentacles that's pretty much found in the gigantea species.

mertensii's suppose to come with short bulb light tentacles.

What conditions was the specimen in before you brought it into your setup?

No/low/high lighting may very well affect the tentacles length.

I once had a S. gigantea that had S. haddoni tentacles length but regained its actual length after proper lighting was given.

My guess is with proper care and lighting, the actual tentacles may just pop up again :)

• SRC Supporter

They were not as yellow and bulbs look "mertensii like" when I got them.

I would think that its the current lightings that they are expose to that had got them more intense yellow in colouration and with elongated tentacles.

Other than that, the anemones are healthy with no signs of stress like gaping mouths etc.

Now conditioning them and would be placing them into a better environment once its up. :yahoo:

• 2 weeks later...