My First MH DIY Pic - soon..but....

reeflobang

• SRC Member
The light fixture I got from Victron does not indicate any UV-protection. It only has some Italian words which roughly translates - do not use if cracked or damaged. Now talking to another lighting distributor who says he can has those fixtures with UV protection - both the ones shown in this thread and those round pendant types. Will post them once I have more information.

MY concern on the UV is towards potential harm to humans... more so as I have young kids at home that stares at the tank often...

you mean that distributor can modify our housing and fit it with UV glass or you mean he sells housings so we must buy new one? and do you mind telling me what the italian words are cuz I also have funny foreign words on my housing, donno if its the same, cuz wondering if it says UV shielded.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member
All our standard products for 10.000 K are without UV-glass, the UV will be necessary for the Aquariums.

from the reply, i think u guys shld not worry too much .. without UV photosynthesis is not possible too .. BLV are manufacturer if they dare to say for aquarium use .. we need concrete evidence/instances that the UV is killing our corals or doing harm to us ...

do know someone in the forum uses BLV bulbs SE without shield glass oso .. for long time liao & corals doing fine .. stay tune for his update .. when he read this.

maybe it is a matter of how much UV being emitted that determine if it is reef safe ..

correct me if i am wrong .. :)

mydog.gif

• SRC Member

is it confirm victron MH holder glass is not UV shield?

if so where can I get the UV shield glass?

:thanks:

If u don't see any indication on the glass, it does not have it. dr devil is getting the UV-protection glass light fixture for me. Can PM him for help. Tough luck for me trying to find just the glass.... being searching for the last one week..... better just replace the whole fixture. Is actually the same or lower price to get the fixture.

• SRC Member

you mean that distributor can modify our housing and fit it with UV glass or you mean he sells housings so we must buy new one? and do you mind telling me what the italian words are cuz I also have funny foreign words on my housing, donno if its the same, cuz wondering if it says UV shielded.

Go online to a word translator website and key in those words and it will give you the estimated meaning in English. That's what I did.

http://www.freetranslation.com/

• SRC Member

from the reply, i think u guys shld not worry too much .. without UV photosynthesis is not possible too .. BLV are manufacturer if they dare to say for aquarium use .. we need concrete evidence/instances that the UV is killing our corals or doing harm to us ...

do know someone in the forum uses BLV bulbs SE without shield glass oso .. for long time liao & corals doing fine .. stay tune for his update .. when he read this.

maybe it is a matter of how much UV being emitted that determine if it is reef safe ..

correct me if i am wrong .. :)

I read from web research that normal glass absorbs UV as well but I guess the uncertainty is how much... we are actually bombarded by UV everywhere and everyday in our lives - your PC monitor - CRT or LCD is already one source. FL lights used everywhere is another... it just that they have been deemed "safe" as the level is low.

I think the UV in my tank should be quite high.... I need to clean my glass tank almost daily now since installing the MH as the surface grows a very thin layer of green algae... All the LR are bubbling now due to algae growth.....But my tangs are happy nipping away at the LR... :)

only acrylic can truely block off almost 100% harmful UV rays.....but they cannot withstand the heat from the MH bulbs......

there is only one model that either lexxan or plexiglass has that has high temperature tolerance...but singapore does not have that model of acrylic....even dama plastics dun have....

so if you are talking about glass...either the glass has a permanent coating on the glass like our specs to reduce UV or is a laminated safety glass with some UV filtering properties...

all those tempered glass, frosted glass, all actually does not filter away much of the harmful UV....to my knowledge that is..but i may be wrong..hehe

• SRC Member

just got my new fixture from dr devil and it indicates UV filter on the glass panel.... can rest in peace now....... :P

:thanks: to dr devil...

Victon's fixture is only tampered glass... confirmed with the boss already.

BTW, trying out CV 20K bulb this weekend. Will post some pics then and see the difference.

• SRC Member
only acrylic can truely block off almost 100% harmful UV rays.....but they cannot withstand the heat from the MH bulbs......

there is only one model that either lexxan or plexiglass has that has high temperature tolerance...but singapore does not have that model of acrylic....even dama plastics dun have....

so if you are talking about glass...either the glass has a permanent coating on the glass like our specs to reduce UV or is a laminated safety glass with some UV filtering properties...

all those tempered glass, frosted glass, all actually does not filter away much of the harmful UV....to my knowledge that is..but i may be wrong..hehe

dama plastic do have plexiglass..

• Sponsor
just got my new fixture from dr devil and it indicates UV filter on the glass panel.... can rest in peace now....... :P

:thanks: to dr devil...

Victon's fixture is only tampered glass... confirmed with the boss already.

BTW, trying out CV 20K bulb this weekend. Will post some pics then and see the difference.

cheers bro..... :lol:

btw, is there any comparision between the 2 fixture? dimmer? brighter? etc........

• SRC Member

as far as i know, de bulbs requires uv filter glass, so whether 10kk or 20kk, it is a must to have a uv filter glass not just a tempered glass... tempered glass doesnt necessarily meant it is uv filtering glass.... as for se bulbs, uv rays is minimal, thus most reefers employ the use without any uv filter glass.... but whether its de or se, with or without uv filtering glass, uv rays are still present, its just as to the amount that matters most....

correct me if im wrong....